rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 1 Follower

kokomo
Top 500 Contributor
Spain
206 Posts
Bronze Member
kokomo posted on Sun, Oct 14 2018 4:19 PM

For several years I have had quite a few LC2s in my lounge and they form an important element of my room lighting. Originally I used filament soft tone bulbs in peach or apricot colours, but since their demise I have had to replace some with halogen. Trouble is these are white and in time, when I am forced to replace all the bulbs, I will just have white halogen which are okay when dimmed say as spots in the ceiling but not ideal and not IMO an attractive lighting effect in lamps as the soft tone bulbs.

Now with increasing move to LED this presents me with a real problem and most are not compatible with dimming with the LC2.

How are others coping with this impending “disaster”? Any ideas would be most welcome.

As I’m in Spain, this may be a European issue rather than worldwide, I don’t know.

Thanks.

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,281 Posts
Bronze Member

Very soon (in fact already) you won’t be able to get halogen bulbs anymore.

The best advice I can give, is to by as many as you can....now!

And save energy in other ways 😉

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
1,468 Posts
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Mon, Oct 15 2018 5:11 AM

One of the benefits of LC2 is that I find bulbs last a very long time. They last so long in fact I usually replace the bulb because the quality of the light has diminished so much it has become near useless.

kokomo
Top 500 Contributor
Spain
206 Posts
Bronze Member
kokomo replied on Mon, Oct 15 2018 7:23 AM

Thanks for the responses. Not really very encouraging. Shame really, but expected.

thanks again.

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
814 Posts
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Mon, Oct 15 2018 2:12 PM
I find some LED bulbs seem to dim better that others. Maybe you could try a few different brands?

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, and ambio 

kokomo
Top 500 Contributor
Spain
206 Posts
Bronze Member
kokomo replied on Mon, Oct 15 2018 2:27 PM

Yes, thanks for that. In the past couple of days via Google I have discovered that some LED bulbs are sold as “dimmable” and available on Amazon. Whether or not they will work okay with my LC2s I have yet to find out. Some are described as soft tone, which I suppose is better than brilliant white!

Thanks again.

lausvi
Top 150 Contributor
Helsinki - Finland
657 Posts
Gold Member
lausvi replied on Mon, Oct 15 2018 3:20 PM

I have been wondering this same thing. At the moment I have one 35W halogen in use with my LC1 and I wouldn't like to give it up. (LC1 gives 40W as minimum but 35 seems to work Ok, I can perhaps see a very slight flickering on it when dimmed).

I tried to use a Triac-dimmable LED driver (like this) with my LC2 but it didn't work (it kept flickering very fast).

kokomo
Top 500 Contributor
Spain
206 Posts
Bronze Member
kokomo replied on Tue, Oct 16 2018 8:37 AM

Pleased (if that’s the correct word!) that someone else has pondered upon this. I have about 15 bulbs in my lounge controlled by 6 LC2s. They are a mixture of halogen and incandescent filament bulbs. Having to move over slowly to halogen, but they are not as warm as my existing ones. Think more research is necessary!

Thanks again.

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
817 Posts
Silver Member
Andrew replied on Tue, Oct 16 2018 10:00 AM

I've had the same problem - the light from the old bulbs is much warmer. I have two boscom light dimmers, one in my sitting room controlling 3 lights and one in the study controlling 3 lamps. They all have 40w yellow light bulbs in that I bought in a pack of 10 from Amazon - although I can't find them now. To get the same sort of light form LED bulbs you need to look for bulbs that are rated at 2000K (kelvins I think) So if you could find ones that are dimmable that should give you the light you want. 

I've tried so many bulbs but the incandescent ones are the best for me in the sitting room and study - I use the 2000k led ones in my bedroom and in a lamp in the kitchen and dining room. I'm also interested in Vintage Radio and am a radio ham - the LED bulbs interfere with the equipment on high frequency bands, and the edison bulbs interfere with FM 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL