Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Click here to change your Beoworld Account Details

Old Vs New, Uniphse Vs Beolab ALT, Audio DSP Vs Simple amplifier or how to spend your evening!

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Tassos
Top 500 Contributor
Athens
99 Posts
Bronze Member
Tassos posted on Fri, Oct 12 2018 8:07 AM

Hello all,

it has been quite a while I haven't been using my B&O equipment and yesterday I decided to relax and listen to my favorite songs.

It is now three/four years that I am looking for a pair of speakers for my main "music listening" area. I am between 5s and 9s (the reason being financial) or a pair of Beovox MS150.

I currently have an NL/ML converter connected to a ML/MCL converter which I use purely as an amplifier to drive a pair of Beovox S80.2. (The room is square without too many furniture)

In my living room (not the main space for listening music) I have a beoplay v1 integrated with a moment and connected to a pair of 18s (front), a 2 (subwoofer), and a pair of beovox cx 100 (surround) they are switched off when I listen to music. The room is also square without any serious obstacles apart a couch etc.

So I put my self a glass of wine and start listening to different kinds of music (pop, rock, hiphop, jazz) using as a source HiFi Deezer from my moment in different volume levels (even at maximum).

To make the long story short, I found the imaging of the beovox better than that of the beolabs. The problem though is that the image collapse very easily if you leave the sweet spot. The beolabs where a bit less clearer as far as imaging is concerned but they remained more consistent when you left the sweet spot. Fiddling around with the "width" button of the v1 helped a lot but did not reach the beovox level (at least to my ears).

As far as sound reproduction in different volumes is concerned the labs where sounding crisp and clear in all levels up until 70-75 (depending on the song) where some times the high frequencies where played softer in order not to damage the tweeter. A bit annoying especially for rock music but better than simply stop playing till the safety switch is pressed which is the case for the beovox. The beovox did quite well in crispiness and clarity playing at a moderate level. As the volume was increased distortion started quacking in.

So old or new? Beovox or Beolab? Uniphase or all kinds of digital filters?

All Replies

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
758 Posts
Silver Member
Andrew replied on Fri, Oct 12 2018 9:52 AM

I can't speak for the 5 or 9s as I've not heard them but can say that I prefer the sound of Beovox's to the any of the labs that I have had - however, the larger the Beovoxs are the more they need the right front end.

S45-2 connected to the B&O Passive sound great and better than the Beolan 4000's I had. M100-2 conneced to the same sound good but a bit week - swap the passive amp for a Linn LK140 and they start to sound great, swap that for a BM4400 and they are awesome. Penta's are good but I found them wooly compared to the M100's in the right setup.

Of course, everyone will have different opinions and it will depend on how loud you like your music, the room that you play it in, neighbours, furnishings the amount of bass you want, design etc. At the end of the day is all you can do is go on is what works for you.

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
799 Posts
Bronze Member

I didn't believe it before listening to many combinations, but my Beomaster 6000 quad with Beovox M75s and S45s beats all of the newer Beolabs connected to different amplifiers up to the 9s to my ears. M75/100s are great passive speakers in my view. The Beomaster 6000 quad is sonically unjustifiedly discredited on here but that's a different story.

Cheers, Kai

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
758 Posts
Silver Member
Andrew replied on Fri, Oct 12 2018 1:26 PM

Yes, I have my BM4400 with M100-2's as front and P45's wall mounted as rears with the Ambio switched on - sounds amazing. 

milva1
Not Ranked
11 Posts
Bronze Member
milva1 replied on Fri, Oct 12 2018 4:40 PM

It's good to hear that you enjoy your BM4400 with the ambio function on. Whenever I use the ambio function of my BM4000 without the ambio filter awitched on I usually detect annoying sibilance from the rear speakers esp. when I listen to classical music. It's inexplicable why B&O omitted the ambio filter although they retained the ambio function with BM4400.

Milton

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,778 Posts
Founder
Peter replied on Fri, Oct 12 2018 4:44 PM

Have little B&O left but still have my BM4401 and M100-2s. Lovely combination.

Peter

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
758 Posts
Silver Member
Andrew replied on Fri, Oct 12 2018 5:05 PM

Yes, took me a long time to get there but very happy with the combination and lots of experimenting with different amps and speakers. In the end I bought a fully serviced 4400 and the M100-2's only had one previous owner but just needed the filler driver repairing. I then had my BG4002 serviced and setup properly and a recon cartridge. So hopefully will be able to enjoy them for many years. Anyway a good way to spend the evening listening to music with a glass of wine.

Not surprised you hung onto the 4401 - very very rare and beautiful.

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,778 Posts
Founder
Peter replied on Fri, Oct 12 2018 6:39 PM

Have a BG4000, 4004 and 4001(!) to use with it. The 4000 is my favourite  as I think the design is the best. I cannot tell the difference sonically!

Peter

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL