Pro Partner program shut down?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 30 Replies | 3 Followers

beopaul
Top 500 Contributor
76 Posts
Bronze Member
beopaul posted on Tue, Oct 9 2018 10:31 AM
I heard a rumor that the Pro Partner program has been shut down in the US. My local one has been cut off from access and has gotten no replies from emails or phone calls to B&O. The supposed story is that a few were not following the rules so they pulled the plug on all of them. Do you know if there is any truth to this? (Or maybe mine was just one of the naughty ones)

All Replies

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
3,740 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Fri, Nov 23 2018 7:03 PM
Placed order with them today.
jowus
Top 500 Contributor
101 Posts
Bronze Member
jowus replied on Sat, Dec 15 2018 12:41 PM
Wow! #Abt, I just found out yesterday, I called the store and they’re no longer Dealers of B&O! Wow! What a Sad Story. I’ve been shopping with them for the past 18yrs. Great Store to loose B&O. C’mon Bang and Olufsen, you’re really disrupting your Business! Such a Good Store.
Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,510 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Dec 15 2018 4:15 PM

Well, look at it this way...if there are no stores to buy B&O from, then all those pesky customer complaints that the products don't work right just magically vanish! Damned plebeians anyway. 

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
614 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Mon, Dec 17 2018 1:43 AM
I had an essence remote on order, and they called a few days ago to say they couldn’t fulfill the order as they are no longer a B&O dealer. At least the good people who work there should not worry about losing their jobs since Abt does so many other things.

First time in 20+ years of B&O ownership that I will not have a local dealer. I guess I have been lucky. Kind of sad. Sad
9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
7,071 Posts
Founder
9 LEE replied on Mon, Dec 17 2018 10:17 AM

There are many, many people with no store locally any more. 

No stores = No brand recognition

No brand recognition = No demand

No demand = More store closures

It's a tailspin.

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
466 Posts
Bronze Member
It started with the ill-advised exclusive showroom concept. That comes from the old-style, “European” way of thinking where store strata and position ruled.

The internet undid all that.

Now stores MUST really perform and deliver at a much higher level to have a reason and financial ability to exist.

They still don’t get that.

B
9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
7,071 Posts
Founder
9 LEE replied on Mon, Dec 17 2018 12:56 PM

Barry Santini:
It started with the ill-advised exclusive showroom concept. That comes from the old-style, “European” way of thinking where store strata and position ruled.

Nail on head. The exclusive 'B1 only' route was snobbery at its best with a large dollop of stupidity and a sprinkle of short-sightedness.

If I had a Pound, Dollar or Euro for every time I've seen someone walk straight past a B1 store saying 'lovely stuff, but I couldn't afford to go in there..' I'd be a rich man.

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
5,356 Posts
Silver Member
Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,600 Posts
Bronze Member

vikinger:

Step forward TripEnglish for a second shot at the title!

Ban boring signatures!

beotex
Top 500 Contributor
72 Posts
Bronze Member
beotex replied on Mon, Dec 17 2018 7:12 PM
9 LEE:

There are many, many people with no store locally any more.

No stores = No brand recognition

No brand recognition = No demand

No demand = More store closures

It's a tailspin.

Actually, I think they are getting lots of brand recognition through their HP and Automotive collaborations. Half my colleagues or clients have B&O sound on their computers or in their Audi’s, etc. I see at least one other person with B&O headphones on each flight I take, and I have done much less explaining about the brand to people in the last 2 yrs than ever before. But there are no stores to see the full collection. Sure, I can buy headphones at a lot of places, but I can’t but the Beosounds or TVs. And B&O is best experienced in person.

The US stores are all but gone, and even my dealer in Denmark has been feeling the online pinch. I really struggle to know what the right answer is. Retail is slowly dying either way unless someone comes up with an interesting new way to get foot traffic and entice people to stop looking at lowest price and quickest delivery as the main purchasing criteria.

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
5,356 Posts
Silver Member

Puncher:

vikinger:

Step forward TripEnglish for a second shot at the title!

Here he is!

https://mobile.twitter.com/tripenglish

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
7,071 Posts
Founder
9 LEE replied on Tue, Dec 18 2018 11:22 AM

beotex:

Actually, I think they are getting lots of brand recognition through their HP and Automotive collaborations....

HP..  Premium Brand?

Ford..  Premium Brand?

You're correct on the recognition, but I'm not sure what merrily jumping into bed with 'mainstream' companies says about your intentions.

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
614 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Tue, Dec 18 2018 6:31 PM

beotex:
The US stores are all but gone, and even my dealer in Denmark has been feeling the online pinch. I really struggle to know what the right answer is. Retail is slowly dying either way unless someone comes up with an interesting new way to get foot traffic and entice people to stop looking at lowest price and quickest delivery as the main purchasing criteria.

To me, the most disappointing part of losing this specific dealer is that Abt seems to be successfully navigating today's tough retail environment and are thriving.  They sell all kinds of audio/video, appliances and select home goods (bbqs, furniture, mattresses).  Their showroom is busy almost all the time, year round.  They're not afraid to have very high end stuff on display.  Their B&O business started as a "showroom inside a showroom" that got smaller and less distinct from the rest of the business over time.  They still had a dedicated "shop", but sometimes they'd put some cheaper B&O stuff on display with mainstream stuff.  My guess is that B&O NA tried to strong arm them about something, and they said "no thanks".  Seems like I read somewhere that B&O NA is under new leadership... so the new leader is leading (unfortunately, it seems, in the wrong direction).

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,600 Posts
Bronze Member

I remember being told that the "old" European marketing aimed at the professional classes wouldn't work in the US and the future was $100K+ custom installs.

Just because it didn't work then is no reason not to keep on trying until all the money has gone!

Ban boring signatures!

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,358 Posts
Bronze Member
What even is / was the pro partner program ?
Page 2 of 3 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL