rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 240 Replies | 0 Followers

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,476 Posts
Gold Member
Craig posted on Thu, Oct 4 2018 8:37 PM

So beguiled by Peters Beolab that when I spotted this on ebay I had to enter into a two day long haggle with the vendor.....he was a hard man but we reached an accord and the deal was struck (not as good a deal as I was hoping, but a fair price judging by the quality of Peters machine).

All Replies

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,476 Posts
Gold Member
Craig replied on Thu, Apr 11 2019 6:17 AM

Soren....Thanks for that, however looking at the picture and schematic I can see yours is a different version of the 5000 to mine, the transistor numbers and the schematic drg number differ from the one I have, mine is a 2005 model.....they look to be wired up differently. I'm having difficulty identifying the coils so cant determine which transistor is which...yours all seem to be metal can types too, where only one of mine is in that style.

Craig

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,290 Posts
Gold Member

I have 2 more, 1 is easy to get at will come back

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,290 Posts
Gold Member

No. 2

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,290 Posts
Gold Member

drawing

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,476 Posts
Gold Member

Soren

Can you confirm your getting 11.5v on your AVC to the base of AF106 for me....?

I think I have identified the transistor I'm touching with my screwdriver as TI401 and not AF106 as I was expecting, I have taken some measurments around it...but I dont have the 11.5v to the base of AF106 which is the first amplification for the antenna? oddly when I measure this point on Peters machine, which works fine...I dont get 11.5v either?

Craig

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,476 Posts
Gold Member

I don't know what to say!....I have managed to identify AF106 and TI401, leaving TIXM203 obviously as the other one, I  had ordered two off AF106 transistors from little diode last night as I felt they would be needed, during the course of the identification process this afternoon I did a fair amount of pulling and tugging and measuring voltages of mine against Peters....at one point I noticed my tuning meter was being very responsive....hooked up my amp and had a listen and the reception is very good, good as Peters.....I left it powered up, put the top back on the front end, and left it on test for about 30mins. The quality and responsive meter held up. So I've boxed her up and been listening for over an hour now, powered down to box up and relocate....but everything seems great right now, I did find when I touched AF106 (once I was sure which one it was) and did get a small kick on the tuning meter, I'm suspecting my pulling around of components in my bid to identify capacitor values and connections has done something somewhere but hey! the end result looks good for now....fingers crossed,

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,476 Posts
Gold Member

Close up of the meter and now functioning stereo lamp....I had to adjust the stereo pot at the back to get it to kick in....

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,476 Posts
Gold Member

The muting function is also working now.....though I haven't adjusted it correctly as yet

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,476 Posts
Gold Member

Well...with a heavy heart I have to report that the whole thing has come tumbling down again! everything worked fine for 2 or 3 hours and it went down like a sack of potatoes! to be honest deep down I sort of knew it wasn't the end of the road with this....problems rarely evaporate into thin air, they have to be tracked down and resolved. So this morning I set too with soldering iron in hand and removed the front end....and just to be sure I removed Peters front end too (sorry Peter I will put it back carefully I promise Embarrassed)….and fitted it into mine the expected transformation took place, So now I'm sure where the problem lies.

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,476 Posts
Gold Member

Its a lot easier to work on out of the chassis anyway.....I have been advised by Nick that AF106 is the most likely culprit, so now I have the unit in hand I can follow the circuit a lot better....also I have been able to tease it out of the housing enough to confirm its type number....and of course it doesn't say AF106!....wouldn't have it any other way! it says SF8636...…..traced the circuit out around it, bit rough I know.....but bears no resemblance to the diagram I have in the manual.....

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,476 Posts
Gold Member

Managed to unsolder two of the legs from inside the can, it's very difficult to get at and the third leg will be a challenge....but 2 off is enough to get my transistor tester hooked up.....

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,476 Posts
Gold Member

And its a JFET...so the new  AF106 in the top of the picture is of no use.....this all explains why I was having so much trouble identifying these little devils, I say this because it looks like my TI401 has a very similar type number from what I can make out.

Looking back at the diagrams Soren has posted for me mine is starting to look awfully like the 8050039 circuit! So gentlemen.....once again I'm seeking guidance as to the most appropriate replacements for these, anyone got any ideas?

• Filed under:
Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
293 Posts
Bronze Member

So which one you need Craig?  I have a bunch of old IF transistors here I can check.

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,476 Posts
Gold Member
Craig replied on Sat, Apr 13 2019 2:52 PM

Charles

That would be great....To start I'm looking for what could be 2 0ff SF8636 or the equivalent of, I definitely need one could be 2 as I think the TI401 transistor in my drawing is also a SF8636. As for the third one TIXM203 in my drawing I'm not sure...It has 4 legs and not 3 as per the description at the bottom of the circuit drawing in my manual....all a bit puzzling right now ;¬)

Craig 

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,290 Posts
Gold Member

Searching I found that some enthusiast has been changing SF 8636 with BF245B

Page 15 of 17 (241 items) « First ... < Previous 13 14 15 16 17 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL