rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 240 Replies | 0 Followers

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,679 Posts
Gold Member
Craig posted on Thu, Oct 4 2018 8:37 PM

So beguiled by Peters Beolab that when I spotted this on ebay I had to enter into a two day long haggle with the vendor.....he was a hard man but we reached an accord and the deal was struck (not as good a deal as I was hoping, but a fair price judging by the quality of Peters machine).

All Replies

Johan
Top 500 Contributor
Bolsward, NL
133 Posts
Gold Member
Johan replied on Fri, Mar 15 2019 8:06 PM

Much better option than leaving the back black (as I type this I feel the need to play some Amy Winehouse song haha). Nice Craig!

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,353 Posts
Gold Member

Craig:
Ok first shot....I know the colour is all wrong, but it gave the best contrast.....never be as good as the original but its the best I can come up with.

I know i am a PIB, but i cant say that I like it, maybe silk screen printing, will cost an arm and a leg, I know I know

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

RaMaBo
Top 150 Contributor
near Munich
562 Posts
Gold Member
RaMaBo replied on Sat, Mar 16 2019 12:09 PM

Hi,

just remembered the ancient times, around 1988 / 89 when MINOLTA had white toner for some copiers in their portfolio. This was used for some special customer who wanted white on colored paper. What was black on the original was copied with white toner, So using black paper gave a 'negative' copy.

It was really white toner powder instead of the usual black one and it gave very good results. So it is possible to use white toner The problem is just to find someone who still owns such a copier I think those machines were 'EP270' and 'EP370 (Z)' where the developping unit was exchanged with a 'white' one. There were several colors available: Black, white, red blue and green as fas as i remember ( i'm getting older Wink )

Sometime in the last 30 years Minolta sold the copier / printer business to Konica and are now known as Konica Minolta

Maybe a small copy shop, advertising agency, ... still has one of those machines available.

Ralph-Marcus

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,679 Posts
Gold Member

Here it is....love it or hate it, still looks a lot better than it did a month ago ;¬)

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,679 Posts
Gold Member

Re build underway.....still got a couple of capacitors to replace but things are moving on ;¬)

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,679 Posts
Gold Member

soldiering on....caps and trimmers all changed out

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,679 Posts
Gold Member

Cabinet re assembly next up....

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,679 Posts
Gold Member

Before I box this up I thought it wise to put some power on and see what happens...….fitted the new lamps from Martin and with the variac powered up slowly, nothing got hot, measured the 20vdc power rail and adjusted it down from 22vdc back to 20vdc....plugged in a Ariel lead with a plug also from Martin and with a Beomaster 4400 connected up commenced to adjust the tuner....got a good selection of stations with very clear reception and a very pleasing quality....however the stereo lamp is on constantly, something is amis….I will remove and test the associated transistors tomorrow and see if I can find anything, any advice will be well received as always ;¬)

Craig

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,679 Posts
Gold Member

Took a closer look at AC187 this evening.....

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,679 Posts
Gold Member

Found to be a short across the emitter and the collector......that'll make the lamp shine all day long!.....so to start with I'm looking for an equivalent for this little devil, I love this transistor tester...…..

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,679 Posts
Gold Member

Still awaiting delivery of the shorted transistor....but carried on assembling what I can in the meanwhile, I think she's coming on fine

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,353 Posts
Gold Member

With what did you change the AC187

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,679 Posts
Gold Member
Craig replied on Wed, Mar 27 2019 5:38 AM

Soren

I have ordered a AC187 as a replacement, still waiting to take delivery....was due yesterday. It's quite a high current NPN and I'm not sure what would be an acceptable later equivalent.

Craig

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,679 Posts
Gold Member

This little fellow turned up in the post today....identify his connections and get him in, see what else in lying in wait!

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,679 Posts
Gold Member
Craig replied on Fri, Mar 29 2019 5:57 AM

This is not going well.....on initial replacement the set came to life, sounded fine and an adjustment of the tuning slide gave good deflections of the tuning meter and the stereo lamp came on an off with the adjustments. However the signal seemed to fade after a few minutes....the tuning meter deflection fell away and the stereo lamp stopped lighting up, also the stations I was tuning too lost there clear amplification, after lots of searching around I found I had managed to install the AC187 collector and emitter the wrong way around.....schoolboy error put it back correctly....still got the poor meter deflection, no stereo lamp and poor reception.....furthermore the full set up procedure as described in the manual, and very likely what I'm going to need to do, looks very daunting.....I wondered if the few caps I have replaced with polyester non polorised components may be responsible....also when I pulled the AC187 and checked it again its Hfe is down to 18...…..

Such fun

Page 12 of 17 (241 items) « First ... < Previous 10 11 12 13 14 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL