Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beosound 3 'cheesegrater' radio - anyone got a broken one?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 14 Replies | 0 Followers

folkdeejay
Top 500 Contributor
93 Posts
Bronze Member
folkdeejay posted on Mon, Oct 1 2018 11:27 AM

Hi All,

Long time no post ... life takes over!

I wondered if anyone here has a Beosound 3 (portable FM radio) that has died due to either a faulty top plate (common) or perhaps a broken speaker.

Because my much used and loved Beosound 3 found itself sitting in about 5mm of water last week - and the bottom PCB has fried.

Parts no longer supplied, so looking to cannibalise one with a knackered top plate.   

My own BS3 top plate only works partially - but as it is, in effect, a one room, one volume radio that didn't go anywhere, we only use the on/off function, which still works!!

If not, it will probably be replaced with an echo dot.  

Cheers,

David.

All Replies

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
6,995 Posts
Founder
9 LEE replied on Mon, Oct 1 2018 5:36 PM

I think I've got a junked one somewhere. I'll check for you tomorrow buddy Smile

folkdeejay
Top 500 Contributor
93 Posts
Bronze Member

Smile

I would be eternally grateful -  I may well upgrade my membership by way of a thank you!! 

If you do have one kicking around, the base comes of easily enough - just 4 screws and a couple of PCB connections.  So no need to ship an entire unit.

I'm still using that Bvis 5 btw... the lack of hdmi is becoming an issue, but the pic ( RGB scart in from a virgin box)  and sound are spot on, so it is still hanging in there...  

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
4,742 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Tue, Oct 2 2018 10:28 AM

folkdeejay:

My own BS3 top plate only works partially - but as it is, in effect, a one room, one volume radio that didn't go anywhere, we only use the on/off function, which still works!!

Same as mine. And mine has had a replacement top! I can only adjust the volume by swiping my finger in a very small area of the top plate dial.

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
6,995 Posts
Founder
9 LEE replied on Tue, Oct 2 2018 1:10 PM

Okay - I've got a 'whole' one in my box of bits, but it looks like it's had a 'belt' as the small section where the transformer plugs in looks melted...

You are most welcome to it, for free. I can post it to you today. PM me if you want it  :)

Lee

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
1,296 Posts
Bronze Member
CB replied on Tue, Oct 2 2018 1:47 PM
folkdeejay:
...and the bottom PCB has fried.

The battery is certainly dead too...
folkdeejay
Top 500 Contributor
93 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Lee,

It sounds like it will also be dead - melted sounds as bad as soggy!!   In fact, I've looked at mine plugged in , and a piece of track next to the DC input jack glows hot and smokes - there is a short. 

Whilst I'm not an engineer working down to component level, I spent 25 years years 'swapping out'  PCBs, drive units, display, modules etc etc and yours sounds just as broken as mine! Sad

Don't want to waste your time...  Lets see if anyone else has one with a totally duff top plate.

folkdeejay
Top 500 Contributor
93 Posts
Bronze Member

moxxey:

folkdeejay:

Same as mine. And mine has had a replacement top! I can only adjust the volume by swiping my finger in a very small area of the top plate dial.

Yep - this one is also on its second top plate.   I used the original one as a coaster for a while.   

folkdeejay
Top 500 Contributor
93 Posts
Bronze Member

Any out there ??

Don't want to seem needy / desperate though !!    Just s a shame to see it head for recycling...   and missing the radio in the kitchen ...

folkdeejay
Top 500 Contributor
93 Posts
Bronze Member

Bump.

If anyone has a knackered BSND 3 ( now parts are N/A) with either the speaker or top plate at fault, I am looking out for a working PCB ( its one piece at the base).

Would prefer to get it working - but if not, its an amazon echo dot ( I only used the radio) I think. 

Cheers,

DJ.

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
1,257 Posts
Silver Member
BenSA replied on Wed, Jan 16 2019 7:32 AM

I bought a new board from B&O, the exact board that you are looking for the other day. Therefore they still have stock at the moment. 

folkdeejay
Top 500 Contributor
93 Posts
Bronze Member

Really?   I was told they are no longer available.

Could I ask the price ? - I think it will be another  Echo Dot tbh - sound is good enough for the kitchen, and currently only £30uk.

folkdeejay
Top 500 Contributor
93 Posts
Bronze Member

Could I ask the price ? - I think it will be another  Echo Dot tbh - sound is good enough for the kitchen, and currently only £30uk.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
4,742 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Jan 28 2019 4:03 PM

folkdeejay:

I'd personally get a discounted A1 or similar and control it from your iPhone or similar. I often just use my iPad to listen to Virgin Radio on a morning or similar rather than use the BS3. Just stream to the A1.

You can pickup a natural A1 from BeoPlay's eBay store for £89! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/B-O-Play-by-Bang-Olufsen-BeoPlay-A1-Portable-Bluetooth-Speaker-Natural/152327991104

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
1,257 Posts
Silver Member
BenSA replied on Tue, Jan 29 2019 7:20 AM

folkdeejay:

Sorry I only saw your reply today.....I paid 60.59 pounds. I bought from the Islington Store in UK, cheaper to buy parts in the UK and have someone bring it then buy in South Africa. Islington were very helpful.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL