rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 26 Replies | 1 Follower

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,278 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort posted on Mon, Oct 1 2018 9:49 AM

My daughter is having a A9 MkII. She is now thinking on adding a M3 to the mix.

The M2 does not include Spotify Connect of some odd reason.

Will that be a problem in certain use cases?

I assume that it may be a problem in the case one is airplaying Spotify to A9 and want that experience to be expanded to M3, tapping "join" on M3. Correct?

If the builtin Spotify is used I assume there would be no limitations using the B&O app and expanding the experience in multiroom? Correct?

/C

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

All Replies

Jon
Top 500 Contributor
Hampshire, United Kingdom
239 Posts
Gold Member
Jon replied on Thu, Oct 4 2018 6:34 PM

Stan:

Jon:
moving away from integration like that and towards Chromecast/AirPlay/BeoLink Multiroom,

So what does this really mean?  Chromecast supports Spotify - how is the Spotify experience different on a "Chromecast-only" device vs. a "Spotify-Connect" device?  I don't really see a functional difference with Spotify between my Essence and my Chromecast (connected to a BS9000), but maybe I'm missing something...  Is it just support within the BeoApp?  

Stan

From my understanding, Spotify Connect is a propitiatory method of playing Spotify tracks and I'm not 100% sure but I have a feeling it might not even be a "casting" based method (like Cast/AirPlay) and requires the speaker to connect directly to Spotify's servers (back when I used Spotify, I used connect and then ended up turning the phone off and the music kept playing) and B&O don't seem to be interested in that kind of thing moving forwards. I found the original email from them from January this year if you want their words directly:

Dear Jon 

Thanks for your feedback and your kind words. Much appreciated. 

Unfortunately we are moving away from the tight integrations with the music services. We have too many times experienced that they pull their API of the market. Another consideration is that we do not feel that we can bring the same experience as their native apps. Therefore we recommend that if you are a user of an unsupported service you should use Airplay or Google Cast.  

Best regards
Thomas
Spotify Connect might count as a "tight integration" in B&O's eyes, and as you said there's no functional difference for the end-user so maybe they don't think anybody will miss it.
Stan
Top 150 Contributor
602 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Thu, Oct 4 2018 9:38 PM

Thanks MM.  I *think* I get it now.  If I want to do multi-room with the M3 and my Essence, I would need to create a Google Home "group" and select this from the Spotify app (juggle between 2 apps) vs. press the "join" button on the device and/or use the multi-room part of the BeoApp, correct?.

I'm mostly asking because I'm considering an M3, and trying to figure out if my wife will use it or will it be too fiddly as Spotify is the most common used streaming service.  Then, I became confused because I saw other products that don't support Spotify (Naim) and was wondering how they get away with it, and then saw the above comment that maybe B&O is also moving away from it so maybe it's not that big of a deal.

The problem I have with Deezer is that my favorite feature is "flow", but I can't get that through the B&O app (and I can't cast from the Deezer app on Android) so it's not much better than Spotify - even though it's "integrated".

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
602 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Thu, Oct 4 2018 11:22 PM

Thanks for posting that Jon. 

I can understand their reasoning, but I'm not too happy about it.  It's hard to justify continuous software development just to keep up with music services that decide to change their APIs willy-nilly.  That's the price you pay when you rely on 3rd parties for key capabilities (looking at my BS5 that no longer works with Spotify).  Also, the problem with expensive products meant to last many years in the short attention span internet day and age.

Btw, chrome-cast can work without the phone.  I'm listening to Deezer and I turned my phone off, and it's still playing.

Svenni
Not Ranked
Berlin, Germany
24 Posts
Bronze Member

I find this really disappointing, can't these companies reach some kind of a deal? What actually makes the M3 "multiroom"? Also, what streaming services could they be talking about?

Beoplay A2 Black
Beoplay Earset
Beoplay H6 Black (Gen 2)
Beoplay S3 Black (x2)
Beovox CX50 White
Beovox CX50 Aluminium/Black

Beovox RL 6000 White

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
602 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Tue, Oct 9 2018 7:18 PM

It is my understanding that it is multi-room for everything except Spotify.  That is, if you have an Essence/Core/BS2/BS1/M5/M3 playing TuneIn, DLNA or Deezer, you press the "join" button on a M3 (or select it through the BeoApp), and it plays the same as the other device.  Change the source to some other non-Spotify source on the other device, and the M3 changes, too.

Even with Spotify, you can use Chromecast for multi-room, but you have to fiddle between the Google Home app to create the multi-room group, and then the Spotify app to cast to the Home group.  I don't know if this is side effect of my specific Chromecast device, my network topology, potential cross-product issues or general Chromecast issues, but I find these groups to be somewhat unreliable.  When I cast to a group (I have my Essence and BS9000 grouped via a chromecast audio device), it usually takes more then a "button press" to get it working, and it is not unusual for the music to stop, but Spotify keeps going (shows it's casting, but no music plays from the devices).  Reset the apps, and sometimes the devices and sometimes delete and re-create the group eventually fixes things.  Typical crappy software... not just from B&O.

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
602 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Tue, Oct 9 2018 7:32 PM

To your other question about "reach some kind of deal", it's easier said than done as each company has competing priorities in their quest to maximize profits.  I'd guess we're not seeing Spotify in the M3 because Spotify wanted too much $$$ for the license (and B&O's cost analysis said not worth it for their "budget" device - customers can just use Chromecast... Naim and other high-end brands get away with it), or, possibly, Spotify has changed their API one too many times, and, again, B&O's cost analysis said not worth the development spend to try to keep up.

Speculating on the other services, that would be any service that they currently support - Deezer, TuneIn.  Reading between the lines, it is saying we are just one API change or license renewal ($$$) increase away from B&O saying "not worth it".

steve1977
Top 150 Contributor
632 Posts
Bronze Member

Bringing up an old thread again.

I don't mind too much that I cannot play spotify directly to the M3 via spotify connect. However, I do mind a lot that I cannot have the M3 "join" a spotify stream from my A9 or other B&O devices. When streamed to the A9 via spotify connect, this seems feasible on other B&O devices without spotify connnect. So, why not for the M3? And even more importantly, is there still hope that B&O will eventually allow to "join" into chromecast streams. B&O web-site said this was upcoming, but I remember MM (who is typically well informed) suspects that this plan was dropped.

Any insights on joining both "from spotify connect" or "chromecast"?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,033 Posts
Bronze Member

I am afraid not, apart from what has already been written in this thread.

It seems rather clear that the new devices are not supporting Spotify Connect - much to my personal disappointment!

As for Chromecasting - there won’t be any changes there. You have to use the groups created in the Home app and cast from your favourite app.

This is more a ‘Chromecast-thing’ - I guess it would be very difficult - to make a workaround in order to include that in the BeoLink Multiroom experience.

And I don’t expect anything to happen there.

Most people don’t care! 

Personally I have an M3, and have noticed that I don’t use that as much as I had expected.....maybe I should sell it and get a M5, which still has support for Spotify Connect.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Fl_ip
Top 500 Contributor
155 Posts
Bronze Member
Fl_ip replied on Mon, Apr 15 2019 8:24 PM
This will help:

https://bogo.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/15609/loc/en_GB/s/16777216_26701fe8a903a-50fc-4da6-9e4c-1c0ac1e33ed0/prTxnId/1864227372/txnId/1864227372#__highlight
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,033 Posts
Bronze Member

Fl_ip:
This will help:

https://bogo.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/15609/loc/en_GB/s/16777216_26701fe8a903a-50fc-4da6-9e4c-1c0ac1e33ed0/prTxnId/1864227372/txnId/1864227372#__highlight

Hmmmm - with what?

MM

Fl_ip
Top 500 Contributor
155 Posts
Bronze Member
Fl_ip replied on Mon, Apr 15 2019 9:50 PM
Joining airplay, if you start it on the A9 you can MultiRoom it to the M3
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,033 Posts
Bronze Member

Sure, but that was not the point of the op.

It is about Spotify Connect to one device  and joining in from a device - like the M3 - that does not have support for Spotify Connect.

MM

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL