Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Atlona Matrix Switcher+BeoVision+ Beo Eclipse

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Strauss Sun
Not Ranked
USA
30 Posts
Bronze Member
Strauss Sun posted on Thu, Sep 27 2018 2:56 AM

Dear Beoworld fellows,

I am going to buy an Atlona 4X4 HDMI to HDBaseT matrix switcher,  AT-UHD-PRO3-44M,  to distribute the Video sources to different rooms, of course, I will have 3 HDBaseT receivers ( AT-UHD-EX-70C-RX) 

Video Source :  Apple TV 4K,  OPPO 203 blue-ray,  and Set Top Box  (all in mechanical room in the basement)

Display:    BeoVision 7-55 (Kitchen) ,  Beo Eclipse 55" (Living) ,   Sony 4K projector (media room)

My question is that  with the switcher and receiver,   Can Beoremote/Beo4 select the different source for the TV ?   how ?   Is there any other equipments I need to do the job ?

Anyone who has experience with Atlona switcher are welcome !

Thank you !

All Replies

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
2,002 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Not Verified) beojeff replied on Thu, Sep 27 2018 10:39 AM
Suggested by beojeff

Your remote can select and control the sources. You just have to make sure that you have the PUC loaded for each source on each B&O TV. The Beo4 does this by selecting V.AUX2 from the list and then the correct numeric button for the source on the matrix. On older remotes, V.AUX2 is DOORCAM. It's easier to use the BeoRemote One, which has dedicated commands for MATRIX 1, MATRIX 2, etc. It's also nice to map the matrix sources to each of the 4 programmable scene buttons on the BeoRemote One.

Note that you need to purchase a key code from your dealer to activate the matrix feature on your BeoVision 7. You need to select the correct matrix model on each BeoVision and enter the correct PUC for each source for Matrix 1, Matrix 2, Matrix 3, and Matrix 4.

The Matrix will not power on/off your sources. This isn't a problem for your Apple TV since it's always on. However, you have to manually turn on/off your Oppo at the blu-ray player. It would have been nice if B&O had added POWER to the Opposite PUC. They have POWER in the PUC for my cable box, but I always have the cable box on anyway.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
2,002 Posts
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Thu, Sep 27 2018 10:43 AM

Also, there's a short guide on the beointegration website that shows the correct Atlona parts that you need to be compatible in your setup. You need to have optocoupler cables to connect each matrix receiver to its BeoVision so that you can have PUC control of the sources. You can order the optocouplers from your dealer.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
2,002 Posts
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Thu, Sep 27 2018 10:58 AM
How are you connecting the speakers in your media room? You might need a BeoSystem 4 to have PUC control. However, you would have to bypass the BeoSystem 4 to connect the video directly to the projector for 4K. You might need an HDMI splitter (such as from HDFury) to send the audio to the BeoSystem 4 and the video to the 4K projector.

Another solution for your media room could be to use a Lintronic code-converter box to send the Atlona command to select the martrix source and then send the commands to control your source devices. For this solution you would use the IR receiver cable/eye that comes with the Atlona receiver instead of the optocoupler. Then, have the Lintronic code-converter blast the IR signal to where the Atlona IR eye can receive it. You would use your B&O remote to send the IR signal to the Lintronic code-converter.
Strauss Sun
Not Ranked
USA
30 Posts
Bronze Member

@beojeff,  Thank you so much !  It is very informative ! And it in fact save me some cost, because I consulted a local A/V dealer and they suggested atlona + Controll4 EA-5 to distribute the video. (I don't like the control4 remote control /charging station.  I would like to use BeoRemote One/Beo4.)

I have some further questions regarding the atlona system:

- Understand a key code is needed for BV7-55,  do I need a key code for Beo Eclipse as well ?  ( also, do I need to buy key code for other model TV, such as Horizon, I am considering to buy one for master bedroom). 

- It is okay that the matrix cannot power on/off the sources, as I always keep Apple TV, TV box on.  The OPPO 203 has a stand-by mode, so it is fine with me. 

- the Optocoupler cables you mentioned is only for BV7-55 ?   or it is needed both BV7-55 and Eclipse ?  Different B&O TV need different IR cable ?

To answer your question regarding the audio system, actually it is another puzzle I haven't figure out.  would appreciate your suggestions/advices:

I have the below B&O speakers:

- a pair of Beolab 5 (family room) , which is a standalone system , connecting to Auralic streamer/DAC, i.e.  Aries G2/Vega G2.  Only for music purpose.

- a pair of Beolab 3 ( kitchen),  but not connected to BV7-55, instead , I connected to Auralic Aries Mini 

- A pair of Beolab3 ( study),  connected to Auralic Aries Mini

- A pair of Beolab3+BS9000+ Auralic Altair (streamer DAC)

I know it is a waste to hook every pair of speaker with a streamer/DAC, so I am looking for an equipment like Atlona which can distribute audio to different speakers.  Basically, what I hope for is to use only one source, it is the Auralic Aries G2+Vega G2. ( Aries G2, Altair, Aries Mini, they are doing the same job , they read music files from NAS).  and I can select which pair of speaker to play the music from Auralic. 

Do you have any suggestion ?

As to your another question regarding the speakers in media room for sony projector,  they are normal dynauido 5.1 CHs speakers. I guess with a AV receiver ( like Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, there are a plenty of them on the market) connect to atlona via HDMI, it should be okay. 

Thank you again in advance !

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
2,002 Posts
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Fri, Sep 28 2018 12:09 AM

I'm not really familiar with the Aurelic. However, if you plan to use the matrix with a B&O TV for distributing audio only, you'll end up turning the tv on to trigger the music.

I'm not sure what you mean by the Oppo stand-by mode. The matrix definitely cannot turn on/off the Oppo blu-ray player. You would have to go to the blu-ray player to turn it on/off on the device itself.

The optocoupler cables for ML TVs such as your BeoVision 7 are different from those for NL TVs such as the Eclipse. The ML TVs use a 3.5 mm plug for the PUC. Whereas, the newer NL TVs use an rj45 connection for the PUC. Your B&O dealer will have to order them for you and will know which ones to order. Atlona is generally not allowed to sell them directly to you. You really do need the optocoupler for a solid connection. Taping an IR emitter to an IR receiver can be hard to give you a solid connection with the matrix.

As for the matrix key, the BeoSystem 3 and the BeoVision 7 require purchasing the key. You'll see it in the menu under "feature activation." Under "feature activation" you'll be prompted to enter a code. The code usually costs between $300 or $400 (unless your dealer really, really likes you!). Also, your dealer might need to load the PUC for your particular Atlona Matrix as well as load the PUC for all of the devices you want to control. This could cost you another $300. The BeoSystem 4, Avant, Eclipse, and Horizon do not require activating the matrix feature - so you won't need to buy a key for those. Also, you can download the PUC yourself for those newer NL TVs.

All of that being said, you might take a look at my thread on whether we really need a matrix these days. There could be an argument that all we really need these days is an Apple TV connected to each TV. Most blu-ray discs have digital copies included -- which gives you those movies on your Apple TV. Also, in the US Apple has made a deal with some cable companies to start allowing them to use the Apple TV as the set-top box. This could really consolidate everything to your Apple TV and could save you a LOT of money in not needing to purchase an Atlona matrix. I'll also add that the Atlona matrix can be very temperamental to install. My B&O dealer told me that they had to have their showroom matrix replaced 3 times before they got one that was rock-solid. It took me a few months of working with Atlona tech support to finally get my matrix working properly. Atlona has a great 10-year warranty and support. However, the matrix and the units can go bad and need to be serviced or replaced.

Strauss Sun
Not Ranked
USA
30 Posts
Bronze Member

Beojeff,

Very good point !  I am now revisiting my approach to have the Matrix.  Looks like buying 3 Apple TV 4K is much cheaper and hassle-free solution. 

Thank you again for all the info you provided and have a nice weekend !

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL