Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Click here to change your Beoworld Account Details

How to integrate BeoSound Core in older Masterlink-system?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 27 Replies | 3 Followers

jc
Not Ranked
47 Posts
Bronze Member
jc posted on Wed, Sep 19 2018 5:47 PM

Hi all,

I'm a bit confused by the BeoSound Core.

Currently, this is my setup: BeoVision 7 with 2 BL20's and 2 BL4000's connected to it through PowerLink for Dolby 5.1, and a BS3000 connected to this setup using Masterlink for playing music through the BL20's.

Now, I'd like to add the BS Core to this system, with the highest possible audio quality (I don't have those BL20's just because of their looks...) and the simplest way of use.

How would this work out? Should it be connected to the aux of the BS3000 (but it doesn't seem to have an analogue output)? Or to the BV7?

Or (that would be fantastic!) could it be optically connected to the optic inputs on the BL20's, while still using the PowerLink for anything but music?

Any suggestions are very welcome!

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

jc
Not Ranked
47 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) jc replied on Fri, Sep 28 2018 11:05 PM
Verified by jc

I got the BeoSound Core today and installed it.

And I must say: I'm very, very impressed. I did not touch my Masterlink system, I just added the BS Core to the optical inputs of the BL20's and honestly, I didn't know the BL20's could sound this good. The Core in combination with the optical cables just opened up the sound of the 20's, compared to the Masterlink connection from BS3000 to BV7 and then PowerLink to the BL20's.

Wow!

And it works exactly as described in B&O's service doc. When the BL20's receive PowerLink signals (from the BS3000 or from the surround sound of the BV7), this overides the optical signals coming from the Core. But when the PowerLink shuts up, the optical signals from the Core take over.

Wow.

And this isn't even Deezer Hifi yet, it's just the regular 320kbs stream. I'll try the Hifi stream soon.

So, to summarize: optical inputs and PowerLink inputs both connected on the BL20's works just fine.

All Replies

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
1,222 Posts
Gold Member
CB replied on Sat, Sep 22 2018 4:48 PM
jc:
BeoLab 17, BeoLab 17 MK II

Any idea of what the upgrade consist of ?
jc
Not Ranked
47 Posts
Bronze Member
jc replied on Mon, Sep 24 2018 9:38 PM

You mean the upgrade from BL17 to BL17 MK II? Honestly, I don't have a clue: this was just an English translation from the manual for connecting more sources to BeoLabs... :-)

jc
Not Ranked
47 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) jc replied on Fri, Sep 28 2018 11:05 PM
Verified by jc

I got the BeoSound Core today and installed it.

And I must say: I'm very, very impressed. I did not touch my Masterlink system, I just added the BS Core to the optical inputs of the BL20's and honestly, I didn't know the BL20's could sound this good. The Core in combination with the optical cables just opened up the sound of the 20's, compared to the Masterlink connection from BS3000 to BV7 and then PowerLink to the BL20's.

Wow!

And it works exactly as described in B&O's service doc. When the BL20's receive PowerLink signals (from the BS3000 or from the surround sound of the BV7), this overides the optical signals coming from the Core. But when the PowerLink shuts up, the optical signals from the Core take over.

Wow.

And this isn't even Deezer Hifi yet, it's just the regular 320kbs stream. I'll try the Hifi stream soon.

So, to summarize: optical inputs and PowerLink inputs both connected on the BL20's works just fine.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
11,203 Posts
Bronze Member

jc:

Thanks for testing and clarifying this.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
3,363 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sat, Sep 29 2018 12:28 AM
Thank you for the information! I also have a BV7, BS3000, and BL20s connected by PowerLink, and a BS5. I have long wondered about whether using the optical inputs would be possible and whether the sound would be improved. Thank you for answering this.
Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
3,363 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sat, Sep 29 2018 2:04 PM
I have a Sonos connected to Aux In of my BS3000. Think I will get a couple optical cables and connect it directly to the 20s.
Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
3,363 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sat, Sep 29 2018 10:51 PM
I connected a Sonos with optical cables. Can not get anything to play through them.

How do the speakers turn on when using the optical? Does the signal from the Core turn them on? Or do you first activate a Power Link source and then switch to the Core?

Thanks.
Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
3,363 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sun, Sep 30 2018 2:34 AM
Have decided to order a Core. A question occurred to me.

As the BL20s can be connected wirelessly to the Core, could that be done instead of using the optical cables and still leave the PowerLink connections in place for television watching?

If so, any thoughts on sound quality, wireless v optical?

Thanks!
jc
Not Ranked
47 Posts
Bronze Member
jc replied on Sun, Sep 30 2018 8:38 AM

My BL20's turn on when the Core starts playing music through the optical. And they turn off a minute or so after it stopped, or immediately when I select standby in the BeoApp.

I don't think the Core supports WiSa, so actually I don't think you can connect the BL20's wirelessly to the Core. If I'm wrong, please let me know. AFAIK WiSa is a digital signal, so sound quality should be the same, if the connection would be possible.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
3,363 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sun, Sep 30 2018 1:27 PM
Thanks! I saw mention on the Core web page of it providing automatic software updates to speakers so I assumed there was a wireless connection between it and the speakers.
Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
3,363 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sun, Sep 30 2018 2:56 PM
I believe I misread the web page. It was speaking of updating the Core software and thus keeping speakers up to date.
Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
3,363 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Thu, Oct 4 2018 12:40 AM
Installed a Core today. Connected to my 20s by toslink in addition to PowerLink to BV7-55. Works perfectly, just as described.

Thanks again for the information that this would work.
jc
Not Ranked
47 Posts
Bronze Member
jc replied on Thu, Oct 4 2018 12:28 PM

Hi Razlaw,

That's great to read. Enjoy :-).

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL