rated by 0 users
This post has 284 Replies | 4 Followers

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,460
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Sep 13 2018 3:11 PM

One thing B&O of late has illustrated quite clearly is just how much of their past design success and their products were directly the result of the two main designers, first Jacob Jensen, and then David Lewis, who I liked even more than Jensen. Without these two strong designers the company's designs and approach has been adrift in my opinion. Makes one appreciate the efforts of Jensen and Lewis even more.

During those days B&O had a very coordinated, integrated design language and a better integration of most products.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

SHEFFIELD
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Bronze Member
SHEFFIELD replied on Thu, Sep 13 2018 3:27 PM

I last heard the Edge in May, but it sounded far better than the A9 and the price point is spot on for this product in my opinion.

It won’t suit everyone, but find me a B&O product that does. Hopefully, will be a great seller when it finally arrives in store...

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,209
Bronze Member

SHEFFIELD:

I last heard the Edge in May, but it sounded far better than the A9 and the price point is spot on for this product in my opinion.

It won’t suit everyone, but find me a B&O product that does. Hopefully, will be a great seller when it finally arrives in store...

Finally someone, who already has heard it  🙂

(Could you tell us more about the ‘omni/two sides sound concept’.....that is, if the sw was ready in May)?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

SHEFFIELD
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Bronze Member
SHEFFIELD replied on Thu, Sep 13 2018 6:29 PM

I saw two, one wall mounted that looked very cool, and the other free standing. They were still in the early days of development, but very eye catching and performance was amazing, very deep bass. In my opinion the A9 is great for bass, but lacks the finesse of the high frequencies. The Edge has proper BeoLab performance, that will stun listeners, very much like the Sound 2 does, but probably 50% better...

Howzit
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 94
Bronze Member
Howzit replied on Thu, Sep 13 2018 7:30 PM
Jeff:

One thing B&O of late has illustrated quite clearly is just how much of their past design success and their products were directly the result of the two main designers, first Jacob Jensen, and then David Lewis, who I liked even more than Jensen. Without these two strong designers the company's designs and approach has been adrift in my opinion. Makes one appreciate the efforts of Jensen and Lewis even more.

During those days B&O had a very coordinated, integrated design language and a better integration of most products.

Jeff

Beovirus victim, it's gotten to be too much to list!

Couldn’t have put it better myself.

Beolab 9 | Beolab 8000 | Beolab 6000 | Beolab 2 | Beolab 3 | Beosound 9000 | Beoplay A9 | Beomaster 8000 | Beovox M75, / S75, / S45.2 

OldJack
Top 500 Contributor
Split
Posts 239
Gold Member
OldJack replied on Thu, Sep 13 2018 7:36 PM

Howzit:
Jeff:

Jeff

Beovirus victim, it's gotten to be too much to list!

Couldn’t have put it better myself.

Exactly !!!

Beogram 6500 MMC2,Beosound Ouverture,2xBeolab 8000,2xBelolab 4000,Beolab 2,Beolab 7.2,Beo4 navi, 2xBeocom2,Serene,Beosystem 3 mk3,H6 2nd gen,Earphones A8,A9 keyring,Bottle opener,Wine Set,4Ktv Samsung 55'',Beolab 7.1 with 42''Panasonic plasma,Oppo udp-203, LinTronic.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
elephant replied on Mon, Sep 17 2018 1:33 PM
On holiday with family; staying in a London AirBnB, and so I thought I’d test the latest refreshing of the AR App ... however rather than the Edge I tried the ........

..... that was an interesting AR experience !!

And the App comes with about 20 predefined Shapes Big Smile

BeoNut since '75

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,360
Bronze Member
CB replied on Mon, Sep 17 2018 6:19 PM
elephant:
And the App comes with about 20 predefined Shapes

Thanks Ed

Now I want this app !
Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
Posts 447
Bronze Member

Jeff:

I think those were different times and designing for different issues. 

In many ways, I’m sure there was strong critic for pre-Jensen >> Jensen >> Lewis >> post-Lewis (current designers)

pre-Jensen was nothing

Jensen era was all about stylish boxes to hide clunky sources of Reciever, Turntable, Cassette and later CD

Lewis era was all about compact loudspeakers with good sound as the sources became extinct.

Post-Lewis seams to be about making something interesting to sell in an all-digital product that can be the size of a smart phone and sound good. By far the more difficult challenge of the last 50 years

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
Posts 1,270
Silver Member
BenSA replied on Tue, Sep 18 2018 8:15 AM

Mr 10Percent:

Jeff:

I think those were different times and designing for different issues. 

In many ways, I’m sure there was strong critic for pre-Jensen >> Jensen >> Lewis >> post-Lewis (current designers)

pre-Jensen was nothing

Jensen era was all about stylish boxes to hide clunky sources of Reciever, Turntable, Cassette and later CD

Lewis era was all about compact loudspeakers with good sound as the sources became extinct.

Post-Lewis seams to be about making something interesting to sell in an all-digital product that can be the size of a smart phone and sound good. By far the more difficult challenge of the last 50 years

That definitely sums up the timeline of how things have gone and very difficult times now where there is no longer any physical music storage.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
elephant replied on Wed, Sep 19 2018 7:06 PM
CB:

elephant:

And the App comes with about 20 predefined Shapes

Thanks Ed

Now I want this app !

Christophe, it must be close to release ... this version of the Beta has been labelled R1.0 Smile

BeoNut since '75

Beozip
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Bronze Member
Beozip replied on Thu, Sep 27 2018 1:27 PM

News from STB about BS Edge

http://www.stbbrackets.co.uk/en-GB/product/BeoSound-Edge/BeoSound-Edge-Wall-Bracket-Close

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFCPGfd0DOk

But how is the sound from the backside? Confused

The best idea is the cable clip but better make this part in aluminium Wink

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,209
Bronze Member

Beozip:
But how is the sound from the backside? Confused

A hole in the wall - and sharing it with your neighbour.

MM

LR2015
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 81
Bronze Member
LR2015 replied on Sat, Dec 1 2018 7:10 PM

So... has anyone seen, touched, licked or heard the Edge yet??

I keep thinking about a Beosound 2 but waiting to hear feedback on the Edge!

Slightly off topic question, but say you have an Edge and also a BS2 but only the Edge is in range of wifi. Does the BS2 also need to be in range of wifi to work, even if it's in range of the Edge? Hope that makes sense, but basically thinking of the Edge for the living room (decent wifi) and a BS2 or a BS1 for the kitchen (very poor wifi from Netgear plug extender thingy).  Ta.

Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,418
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sat, Dec 1 2018 7:32 PM
The BS2 will need to be in wifi range.

The Edge doesn't act as a range extender, and moreover the BS2 speaks to the router for connection / traffic management

There is a review from B&O Manchester on YouTube, we'll a review of sorts ( apologies if you have already seen it).

LR2015
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 81
Bronze Member
LR2015 replied on Sat, Dec 1 2018 7:37 PM

Thanks Sandyb, I thought the BS2 would might need wifi - thanks for confirming. I probably should look at a 'Mesh' wifi/router set up. 

I'll check the vid out - thank you

Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,418
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sat, Dec 1 2018 8:07 PM
For the record, all my B&O kit is hard wired, except for my BS2 in my kitchen.

My BS2 lives on a 5G wifi network, no range extenders. It, and my phone / tablet / laptop are all much happier on 5G wireless than 2.4G.

So while I thought the sole unwired speaker, the BS2, would require hard wiring (using a powerline adapter), in the end, just switching on the 5G network on my Virgin media router was all that was necessary

In broad terms, prior to hard wiring everything, audio dropouts became a problem once I started streaming FLAC files.

Once everything was hard wired, I suspect that leaving just one speaker on wifi was fine, reducing the wireless traffic flying around.

So you may be okay, and have options to play with before investing in pricier network equipment.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,676
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sat, Dec 1 2018 8:26 PM
Here is a video showing setup of the Edge including setting it to play left, right, or both directions.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ngFVEam8ErM

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,207
Gold Member
Duels replied on Sat, Dec 1 2018 8:35 PM
LR2015:

Seen, touched and heard it last week. Did not get to lick it.

It’s a big step up from the BS2 in terms of sound. It sounds awesome. Really strong bass and the rocking motion to change the volume is pretty cool as are the illuminated controls on the top.
AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 537
Bronze Member

Hi Duels, and how about comparing Edge’s sound vs A9? Just curious...

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,207
Gold Member
Duels replied on Sat, Dec 1 2018 9:57 PM
AnalogPlanet:

Hi Duels, and how about comparing Edge’s sound vs A9? Just curious...

The A9 sounds great but I would say the edge is a bit better from the few songs that I listened to.
LR2015
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 81
Bronze Member
LR2015 replied on Sun, Dec 2 2018 11:40 AM

Razlaw:
Here is a video showing setup of the Edge including setting it to play left, right, or both directions.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ngFVEam8ErM

Cheers. I'll probably go and have a look at it when my local dealer gets one in. I think the rocking motion to adjust the volume is tacky - very tacky! I wonder if you can adjust the volume on the Edge WITHOUT tilting it forwards and backwards? It'd be a pain in the *** if I've got to keep getting my phone out to change volume.. 

LR2015
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 81
Bronze Member
LR2015 replied on Sun, Dec 2 2018 11:46 AM

Duels:
LR2015:

Seen, touched and heard it last week. Did not get to lick it.

It’s a big step up from the BS2 in terms of sound. It sounds awesome. Really strong bass and the rocking motion to change the volume is pretty cool as are the illuminated controls on the top.

Thanks Duels. Out of interest what do you think to the BS2.. or even the BS1? I want a decent speaker in the kitchen but with the room being quite small I am limited to something about the size of a BS1 (possibly a BS2). An A9 or Edge would be far too big / awkward. Most small speakers I've heard just don't have enough quality bass. I was a bit unimpressed with a Sonos Play 5 I heard recently too. Is the BS1/BS2 better than the Sonos?

Cheers

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,207
Gold Member
Duels replied on Sun, Dec 2 2018 2:28 PM
LR2015:

Thanks Duels. Out of interest what do you think to the BS2.. or even the BS1? I want a decent speaker in the kitchen but with the room being quite small I am limited to something about the size of a BS1 (possibly a BS2). An A9 or Edge would be far too big / awkward. Most small speakers I've heard just don't have enough quality bass. I was a bit unimpressed with a Sonos Play 5 I heard recently too. Is the BS1/BS2 better than the Sonos?

Cheers

The BS2 is in my opinion has very good sound. There is a big difference between it and the BS1. The extra driver makes all the difference. More than the price difference would suggest.

If space is an issue, or you need the portability, the BS1 is still a good choice. But otherwise BS2 everyday. Especially as you want “quality bass”.

I can’t really comment on sonos, sorry.
CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,360
Bronze Member
CB replied on Sun, Dec 2 2018 7:06 PM
LR2015:
I want a decent speaker in the kitchen but with the room being quite small I am limited to something about the size of a BS1 (possibly a BS2).

Most small speakers I've heard just don't have enough quality bass.

Hi

If it’s aesthetically OK for you, then the Beoplay M3 might be another option...
AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 537
Bronze Member

Big thanks Duels.

I guess then I keep A9 in my bedroom and go for a pair of BL 17 in the living room.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,302
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Mon, Dec 3 2018 7:27 AM
LR2015:

Cheers

If space is limited BS1 is a good option. I use it in my kitchen.

I have a M3 and M5 as well but BS1 is a few notches better and have a more luxurious look.

And you have the portability.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

AdamS
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 271
Gold Member
AdamS replied on Mon, Dec 10 2018 1:14 PM

I finally saw and heard the Beosound Edge in the flesh at the weekend. Three words - I want one!!

Sadly, Mrs. S says we have to finish paying off the BL90s first...Wink

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,302
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Tue, Dec 11 2018 6:43 AM
AdamS:

I finally saw and heard the Beosound Edge in the flesh at the weekend. Three words - I want one!!

Sadly, Mrs. S says we have to finish paying off the BL90s first...

Smile You always get the truth from the Mrs..however boring sometime Smile

Also listened to Edge and it’s a fine speaker and you can really crank it up. It’s smaller than I envisioned, but it makes sense to put in in a bit of an elevated position if one intend to physically interact with it.

The bronze looked super cool as well.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

Ditlev
Not Ranked
Posts 42
Bronze Member
Ditlev replied on Tue, Dec 11 2018 11:55 AM

AdamS:

Sadly, Mrs. S says we have to finish paying off the BL90s first...Wink

just bought one and the BL90s - Got a good deal on both :)

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,207
Gold Member
Duels replied on Tue, Dec 11 2018 12:24 PM
Ditlev:

How fantastic. Can we have a pic of both when they are installed please?
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,209
Bronze Member

Ditlev:

Congrats - on both 🙂

Remembering this thread (and others)

https://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/34913/258632.aspx#258632

I am looking forward to hear about your future setup and how you get along.

Some pics would be nice too.

MM

Ditlev
Not Ranked
Posts 42
Bronze Member
Ditlev replied on Tue, Dec 11 2018 3:55 PM

Duels:
Ditlev:

How fantastic. Can we have a pic of both when they are installed please?

WIll post pics - so far this is all I got from the dealer: 

It's going to a temporary house (where we are renting until the new house is finished) before being fully setup and installed in Q2 2019. 

Christophe
Top 500 Contributor
Cape Town
Posts 93
Bronze Member

Hi guys,

Is it only me, or has no one really bothered that B&O are now making the most expensive mono loudspeakers ever?

Bring me stereo, please, that's how recordings have been made for a few decades now..

Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,418
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Tue, Dec 11 2018 6:34 PM
For a good deal of modern pop, rock, hip hop, loudness is prioritized in the recording / mastering process. Wide stereo separation is much rarer than it used to be.

And B&O still make a bunch of left right speaker pairs.

But in spirit I'm with you - I have an A9 in my bedroom, but I'd much prefer even a pair of BL3's (if I could be bothered with the rewiring hassle). Single point systems are limited, even the better ones.
Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
Posts 461
Bronze Member
Stereo not always necessary if imaging not a priority.

I actually like B&O party mode!

B
tph
Top 500 Contributor
Finland
Posts 139
Bronze Member
tph replied on Tue, Dec 11 2018 11:31 PM

And "single-point" doesn't necessarily always mean "mono" (the A2, for example, plays different signals from each side, as does BeoSound 2 with its midranges). I can't verify right now whether this is the case with the Edge, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does something more than just playing a mono signal through all of its drivers. Granted, it's not going to magically give you a sweet spot, but that's not the point of the Edge either. The BeoLabs are for that.

AdamS
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 271
Gold Member
AdamS replied on Wed, Dec 12 2018 1:09 PM

Christophe :

Hi guys,

Is it only me, or has no one really bothered that B&O are now making the most expensive mono loudspeakers ever?

Bring me stereo, please, that's how recordings have been made for a few decades now..

You make a very valid point, and the fact that we seem to be going back to mono has bothered me for a while about many new wireless speakers in general.

However, after extensive deliberation, I've decided I don't care when it comes to the Edge, and I still want one...

BeoFrederic
Not Ranked
Posts 66
Gold Member
AdamS:

You make a very valid point, and the fact that we seem to be going back to mono has bothered me for a while about many new wireless speakers in general.

+1.

Actually, +10. I feel pretty strongly about this. A dying breed, I guess.
OldJack
Top 500 Contributor
Split
Posts 239
Gold Member
OldJack replied on Wed, Dec 12 2018 4:15 PM

tph:

And "single-point" doesn't necessarily always mean "mono" (the A2, for example, plays different signals from each side, as does BeoSound 2 with its midranges). I can't verify right now whether this is the case with the Edge, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does something more than just playing a mono signal through all of its drivers. Granted, it's not going to magically give you a sweet spot, but that's not the point of the Edge either. The BeoLabs are for that.

''Pair of ti*s'' sounds better to me than ''Single tit'' Whistle

Beogram 6500 MMC2,Beosound Ouverture,2xBeolab 8000,2xBelolab 4000,Beolab 2,Beolab 7.2,Beo4 navi, 2xBeocom2,Serene,Beosystem 3 mk3,H6 2nd gen,Earphones A8,A9 keyring,Bottle opener,Wine Set,4Ktv Samsung 55'',Beolab 7.1 with 42''Panasonic plasma,Oppo udp-203, LinTronic.

Page 7 of 8 (285 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL