rated by 0 users
This post has 307 Replies | 4 Followers

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,444
Bronze Member

Duels:
Simonbeo:

Unlike recent products there seems to be no mention of a designer let alone an artist

Michael Anastassiade is the named designer.

his work for Flos is certainly less sculptural than Philippe Starck did for the same manufacturer. Very much of a fabricated tubing thing. Not Sculpture.

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,485
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Sep 2 2018 4:07 PM

milva1:

Jeff:

milva1:

For those of you who think that the Edge is expensive check out the latest competition in the same price range:

https://www.dali-speakers.com/loudspeakers/callisto/

Milton

Not really comparable though is it? Kind of like saying if you think the Edge is expensive you should look at the Beolab 50!

Callisto 2C (€2800/pair)

Callisto 6C (€3600/pair)

DALI Sound Hub (€600).

Aren't they comparable pricewise? Anyway, I'd say all major speaker producers are moving in this direction (hi end bluetooth active speakers controlled by mobile phones) for those who are sick and tired of low quality bluetooth gadgets. I think B&O just couldn't miss this appointment stating its' presence with a highly innovative product compared to more conservative ones (like the Dali's). Not suitable for a home cinema setup though....

I guess then my TV is comparable to the Edge, it cost about the same. Jeez Louise, we equate things by price now? A single point pseudo stereo speaker is the same as a media/receiver and two speakers? Aka a traditional stereo setup? No - thumbs down

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,485
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Sep 2 2018 4:14 PM

Millemissen:

The ABL in the speakers is not possible without digital sound processing.

Releasing a ‘B&O Atmos soundbar’ would be too easy - that is not how things work at B&O.

MM

Bull. ABL predates DSP in B&O's speakers by a fair amount of time. My BL8000s have it, and I bought them in 1998.

And c'mon. Too easy? Yeah, let's not do something that would sell and be popular, because that's not the B&O way. If that's the case B&O deserves to go out of business, and their shareholders should consider impaling the management staff.

Jeff

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 247
Bronze Member

Jeff:

Millemissen:

The ABL in the speakers is not possible without digital sound processing.

Releasing a ‘B&O Atmos soundbar’ would be too easy - that is not how things work at B&O.

MM

Bull. ABL predates DSP in B&O's speakers by a fair amount of time. My BL8000s have it, and I bought them in 1998.

And c'mon. Too easy? Yeah, let's not do something that would sell and be popular, because that's not the B&O way. If that's the case B&O deserves to go out of business, and their shareholders should consider impaling the management staff.

@MM, 

I don't claim to be real smart but I think I understand the difference between analog and digital processing. After all, they taught ASP in physics when even I was in University. You could change the size of the can of either end of the string, or the string, itself. Don't forget some of us old fans were hobbyists and would have loved to be in your industry. I needed to pay bills so I have lived my career in manufacturing. 

Please demonstrate how Speaker Profiles in a BeoSystem 3 and associated TVs being much more than stored profiles of crossover, bass, and treble, ie. ASP. BS3 is digital video/analog audio (masterlink) while BS4 is all digital to analog audio (netlink)/digital video. That is a STEP CHANGE and is the main reason I would NEVER again consider a video product pre-BV11. If I have that wrong, please tell me. Otherwise, consider accepting that I wasn't challenging your wisdom or backroom knowledge of B&O, just thinking Shape could drive a wall of multi-channel audio without breaking a sweat... unless, of course, B&O overcommitted on Core and is too proud to admit it, so is creating a different narrative to save face. 

Now I will go lick my wounds

milva1
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Bronze Member
milva1 replied on Sun, Sep 2 2018 8:55 PM

Jeff:

milva1:

Jeff:

milva1:

For those of you who think that the Edge is expensive check out the latest competition in the same price range:

https://www.dali-speakers.com/loudspeakers/callisto/

Milton

Not really comparable though is it? Kind of like saying if you think the Edge is expensive you should look at the Beolab 50!

Callisto 2C (€2800/pair)

Callisto 6C (€3600/pair)

DALI Sound Hub (€600).

Aren't they comparable pricewise? Anyway, I'd say all major speaker producers are moving in this direction (hi end bluetooth active speakers controlled by mobile phones) for those who are sick and tired of low quality bluetooth gadgets. I think B&O just couldn't miss this appointment stating its' presence with a highly innovative product compared to more conservative ones (like the Dali's). Not suitable for a home cinema setup though....

I guess then my TV is comparable to the Edge, it cost about the same. Jeez Louise, we equate things by price now? A single point pseudo stereo speaker is the same as a media/receiver and two speakers? Aka a traditional stereo setup? No - thumbs down

No, we are not talking about a traditional stereo setup. There is no media/receiver but just a hub (advanced but just a hub) since we are talking about a two-speaker system. The system didn't receive Eisa best product award 2018/19 for nothing! What I meant in my previous post is that standards were already high enough when the Edge appeared and B&O had to make a unique approach without raising prices  above competition. In this respect, the Edge is not expensive provided that sound quality is what are used to expect from B&O

Milton  

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,336
Bronze Member

Interesting stuff from the Archived Forum - a thread from november 2009, the time where AST (in the BSys3-based products) was introduced.

Please notice that Geoff Martin has some comments there too.

There is also a link there to a FlatpanelsHD page, with a brief overview.

MM

https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Farchivedforum.beoworld.org%2Fforums%2Ft%2F25656.aspx%3FPageIndex%3D1&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cb7b16c2d7b5a4c34d2a708d6110f7de8%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636715155560689177&sdata=Xz9JXYbAZicb4EEQobYFEO6uU2JacdNSrrVUcrgWAuQ%3D&reserved=0

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,485
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Sep 3 2018 12:04 AM

How do you get from ABL to AST?

Jeff

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
Jeff:

Exactly my thoughts

Yes - thumbs up

BeoNut since '75

Howzit
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 94
Bronze Member
Howzit replied on Mon, Sep 3 2018 7:55 AM
After thinking about it more... I guess this is a good product. My main complaint would be that B&O have been putting out a lot of mickey-mouse products to appeal to the mass market, (some Beoplay; not all, but a lot). With the mass market, comes the whole wireless/streaming stuff, which means less emphasis on sound quality at the highest possible level.

I however reminded myself that along with the mickey-mouse wireless products, B&O also do put out all the Beolab speakers and TVs of the highest quality and performance, the Beolab 90 being a crown jewel. So I think it’s within reason to have a wide product range, even the ones I feel are pedestrian, it’s only prudent for a company to stay solvent.

This BS Edge might not be the echelon of sound performance, but it is certainly a good product that produces good enough sound, with a good concept for its design and features. Certainly not pedestrian, and admittedly, does feel B&O. A nice addition to the portfolio!

Beolab 9 | Beolab 8000 | Beolab 6000 | Beolab 2 | Beolab 3 | Beosound 9000 | Beoplay A9 | Beomaster 8000 | Beovox M75, / S75, / S45.2 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,336
Bronze Member

Jeff:

How do you get from ABL to AST?

Both were mentioned in my post about B&O and using DSP for ages:

‘The latest versions of the BV7 had a great deal of DSP inside - think Adaptive Sound Technology, the forerunner of the Speakers Roles/profiles.

However the BSys3 was too weak, not enough horse power - then came the BSys4.

The ABL in the speakers is not possible without digital sound processing.‘

I then focussed on DSP in the BSys3 as an example, because understanding the use of DSP in the BS Edge is important for how this can be used.

There is a long tradition for using Digital Sound Processing in Struer.

MM

tph
Top 500 Contributor
Finland
Posts 139
Bronze Member
tph replied on Mon, Sep 3 2018 10:58 AM

Well, we did have the BeoLab 3, for example, which had analogue filtering but also had ABL built in.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,336
Bronze Member

That is why I wrote, that it is an evolution - not something, that has changed suddently.

The important thing here is, that B&O has a lot of experience with the use of DSP in their products.

MM

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,485
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Sep 3 2018 3:52 PM

The way you wrote it made it seem that ABL was not possible without DSP, when in fact it has been done in the analog domain for a long time before B&O went to DSP driven speakers. It's as if you said, well, two way or three way crossovers between speaker drivers isn't possible without DSP. Can it be done better, with more finesse with DSP? Yes, many/most things can, albeit at the cost of increasing complexity, and occasional hiccups such as the BL20 noise blasting, but it can and was done completely in the analog domain for many years.

You flat out said ABL is not possible without DSP, to be pedantic about it.

I don't doubt that the Edge can and probably does sound good, within the limits of its design format, which with some psychoacoustic DSP tinkering is probably pretty impressive for a single speaker approach. It's the design I have a real problem with. It's uninspired, just a giant breath mint, a short cylinder, but hey, it's made of aluminum! If I took a conventional box speaker and wrapped it in aluminum, that wouldn't make the design suddenly good or innovative.

Jeff

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 576
Bronze Member
KMA replied on Mon, Sep 3 2018 8:10 PM
Jeff:

The way you wrote it made it seem that ABL was not possible without DSP, when in fact it has been done in the analog domain for a long time before B&O went to DSP driven speakers.

Indeed, BeoLab 8000 from the 1990's had ABL, as did most other BeoLabs from that time (4000, 6000, etc.)

I do like the one-point-stereo-systems of today that rely heavily on DSP, but there's a caveat: digital processing errors, or comparable faults. Cases in point: the BeoLab 20 armageddon and the sort of troubles that Mikipidia has had with his BeoLab 50. Those are downsides of speakers getting too dependent on software -- you know, the undisputed forte of B&O (/s)

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,336
Bronze Member
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,336
Bronze Member

I wonder if this link already was posted.

I just noticed it.

https://www.bang-olufsen.com/~/mediaV3/Files/press-releases/bang-olufsen/beosound-edge/beosound-edge-press-release-uk-master.pdf

MM

Rob - Danish AV
Top 200 Contributor
Melbourne
Posts 347
Gold Member

for a $5235AU Speaker, it should have had google assistant built in, not via another product...

Don't get me wrong, i do like it, its different!

These prices are starting to get stupid though

Whats between BL20 and BL50? that's a huge financial jump. BL5 were the price of a medium size car, and the BL50 are the price of a luxury car

what about a reasonably priced floor speaker below the BL18.. the BL18 are great, but find a market that's after something not $10,000!

its $2000 jump from the A9(big impressive speaker) to the Edge, which has a limited placement option, plus resembles a small sign for a boutique shop using the wall mount.

Howzit
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 94
Bronze Member
Howzit replied on Tue, Sep 4 2018 12:06 AM
Millemissen:

https://www.bang-olufsen.com/~/mediaV3/Files/press-releases/bang-olufsen/beosound-edge/beosound-edge-press-release-uk-master.pdf

A prime example of ether.

“....COMPLETELY reimagines how we live with sound....”

Really?

The danger with this sort of trail of thought is that they might convince themselves that this is true, thereby using this result as a setting of the bar of what reimagining something is, a cake tin.

Reimagining how we live with sound is more appropriate for the Beolab 90, or even Beosound Shape, not what is essentially a mono auxiliary speaker. It’s a good product, but they ought to dial back the ether, lest it reconfigures for them the meaning of ‘aiming for the stars’.

“... an adventure of how we live with sound...” might be more appropriate.

Beolab 9 | Beolab 8000 | Beolab 6000 | Beolab 2 | Beolab 3 | Beosound 9000 | Beoplay A9 | Beomaster 8000 | Beovox M75, / S75, / S45.2 

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,221
Gold Member
Duels replied on Tue, Sep 4 2018 9:04 AM
Rob.B:

BL5 were the price of a medium size car, and the BL50 are the price of a luxury car

Ha. Not in the Uk. Cars are more expensive than that!

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,599
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Wed, Sep 5 2018 9:36 PM

Am I wrong in thinking that 140 posts in over a week is the least interest I've ever seen expressed in the announcement of an entirely new B&O speaker?Unsure

Ban boring signatures!

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,444
Bronze Member

There was another thread with 111 posts https://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/34756.aspx

so 250 ish

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,221
Gold Member
Duels replied on Wed, Sep 5 2018 10:15 PM
Problem is that nobody has seen it or heard it. And that is still months away with a November launch.
Kiran
Top 75 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,011
Bronze Member
Kiran replied on Wed, Sep 5 2018 10:16 PM
I’ve seen some video clips and I’m falling in love it lol...

I love the floating wall mount!

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,336
Bronze Member

Now all we need is to listen to it.....and see it in person.

MM

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
elephant replied on Wed, Sep 5 2018 11:59 PM
Simonbeo:

There was another thread with 111 posts https://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/34756.aspx

so 250 ish

So not as polarising as the Eclipse Big Smile

BeoNut since '75

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 247
Bronze Member

Howzit:
Millemissen:

A prime example of ether.

“....COMPLETELY reimagines how we live with sound....”

Really?

The danger with this sort of trail of thought is that they might convince themselves that this is true, thereby using this result as a setting of the bar of what reimagining something is, a cake tin.

Reimagining how we live with sound is more appropriate for the Beolab 90, or even Beosound Shape, not what is essentially a mono auxiliary speaker. It’s a good product, but they ought to dial back the ether, lest it reconfigures for them the meaning of ‘aiming for the stars’.

“... an adventure of how we live with sound...” might be more appropriate.

In other news, the sole purpose of any organisation is to serve the interests of the true customers, its top executives and large shareholders. If your argument for organisational direction is based on honoring its values and traditions, you lost the argument. There is nothing wrong with selling-out, but there is plenty wrong with creating a delusional narrative to support that at the expense of those you claim to treasure. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/press-releases/2018-09-03/bang-olufsen-a-s-bang-olufsen-a-s-initiation-of-share-buyback-programme

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,485
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Sep 6 2018 3:36 PM

elephant:
Simonbeo:

so 250 ish

So not as polarising as the Eclipse Big Smile

Either that or everyone has just lost interest. Sleep

Jeff

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 1,890
Bronze Member

The Beosound Edge is pretty much a fancy version of this: https://tivoliaudio.eu/shop/orb-wireless-speaker?variant=ORB-1725-EU

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 247
Bronze Member

Hmmm. Need to do a poll: BeoWorld Righteous Indignation or Rationalisation. Which will it be, because it looks very familiar to me?

Of course, Tivoli might have used a time machine to leap forward and copy it in the future, then return. 

Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,452
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sat, Sep 8 2018 2:34 PM

And there was me thinking that B&O have "reimagined the home speaker"

Generous interpretation of "re".

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,336
Bronze Member

Funny - hardly anyone has ever heard or seen the BS Edge in the flesh.

And still there are a lot of opinions here.

MM

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 1,890
Bronze Member
Using eyes you can tell shapes and form from pictures.
Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,452
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sat, Sep 8 2018 4:25 PM

Which added to a functioning brain can lead to independent thoughts and opinions!

It will doubtless sound pretty good though.

The design is nice enough, just nothing likely to be iconic in the future.

And there was me thinking that they had been working on something truly amazing.

lawrencejmcook
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 197
Founder
leogoeswild:

Big Smile
Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,485
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Sep 8 2018 4:50 PM

leogoeswild:

Big Smile

Maybe MM needs a braille webpage picture?

Speaking of which, I always have wondered why, here in the US, drive up ATM bank machines have braille on them. Then again, watching too many drivers around here it kind of comes to make sense.

Jeff

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 247
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

MM

Is this an illegal opinion? Which one is more like the former One Pound Coin?

Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,452
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sat, Sep 8 2018 9:41 PM
I think we're firmly in the realms of a "not very interesting design".

I'm sure in the flesh it looks nice enough, but then again so do lots of things.

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,375
Bronze Member
CB replied on Sat, Sep 8 2018 9:45 PM
Jeff:
Speaking of which, I always have wondered why, here in the US, drive up ATM bank machines have braille on them. Then again, watching too many drivers around here it kind of comes to make sense.

LaughingLaughingLaughing
Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,485
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Sep 8 2018 9:51 PM

poodleboy:

Millemissen:

MM

Is this an illegal opinion? Which one is more like the former One Pound Coin?

Don't you know? KNEEL BEFORE ZOD THE EDGE!!!

Jeff

Page 4 of 8 (308 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL