Beosound Edge - Reactions?

rated by 0 users
This post has 282 Replies | 4 Followers

Howzit
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 94
Bronze Member
Howzit replied on Fri, Aug 31 2018 8:45 AM
I had imagined this with a smoked glass door on one side that opens to reveal a vinyl turn-table! Vinyl has become so popular among young people, while older folks still have collections. Could have been an opportunity to make a bold statement in a world of streaming music that never really works when you want it to, or to appeal to those wanting to take a moment away from compressed mp3s to appreciate none “on the go” music. The wall mount orientation would then have more practicality.

B&O were the masters of modern turn tables, this might have made a great homage.

Maybe they will see this and make something!

Beolab 9 | Beolab 8000 | Beolab 6000 | Beolab 2 | Beolab 3 | Beosound 9000 | Beoplay A9 | Beomaster 8000 | Beovox M75, / S75, / S45.2 

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 519
Bronze Member

Howzit:
...or very expensive high-gloss low coffee tables to work with in a large sitting room.

I was even contemplating putting it on top of a black marble cube or podest (for example, Nero St.Laurent marble).

andy_js
Top 500 Contributor
Brexit Island
Posts 135
Gold Member
andy_js replied on Fri, Aug 31 2018 10:37 AM
I can’t be the only one that thinks it’s tacky.
Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,371
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Aug 31 2018 1:46 PM

andy_js:

You're not...

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
Posts 1,264
Silver Member
BenSA replied on Fri, Aug 31 2018 2:40 PM

Jeff:

andy_js:

You're not...

So 2 people think its tacky apparently......Big Smile.....just joking!!

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,365
Bronze Member
TWG replied on Fri, Aug 31 2018 2:59 PM

btw it's very nice to see that the design language seems to sloooooowly switch back to Bang & Olufsen and away from the design accidents like the A6 ;)
Beosound 1, 2 and Edge have the Bang & Olufsen design touch and I like it!

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 4,766
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Fri, Aug 31 2018 3:12 PM

andy_js:

I don't like it much either. I'm not a massive fan of anything with so much metal on display in my home. And the whole touch/rocking thing is bonkers. But, I'm sure it sounds amazing.

I'd rather get a BeoSound 2 - half the price, too.

tobeyone
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 97
Founder
tobeyone replied on Fri, Aug 31 2018 5:28 PM

There will always be different points of view on any design.....

I like it, was just about to buy an A9 but will wait to see what this looks like in the flesh....

Howzit
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 94
Bronze Member
Howzit replied on Sat, Sep 1 2018 3:09 AM
TWG:

btw it's very nice to see that the design language seems to sloooooowly switch back to Bang & Olufsen and away from the design accidents like the A6 ;) Beosound 1, 2 and Edge have the Bang & Olufsen design touch and I like it!

Hard to go wrong with a circle, and fabric stretched over each end. 😉😉

I kid, I kid. I’m not the biggest fan of simplicity, without provocation. For instance the A9 is very simple, but offers enough character to be different. The Beolab 8000 is a simple cylinder, but they put a conical point at the base, provoking conventional wisdom, which would dictate making the base wider than the top; an inverted triangle... very provocative. Or the Beosound 9000 that puts all the CDs in a simple straight line instead of a round carousel... very provocative! The cake-tin leaves very little criticism. Who dares wins, or who plays it safe risks no criticism.

Admittedly though, I agree with you, overall, it dies harken to those design icons and feels a step in that direction.

Beolab 9 | Beolab 8000 | Beolab 6000 | Beolab 2 | Beolab 3 | Beosound 9000 | Beoplay A9 | Beomaster 8000 | Beovox M75, / S75, / S45.2 

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,215
Founder
I installed an Edge today next to my BL19 for comparison ...

As this my first use of the beta AR App I did not get it sitting on the floor Big Smile Sorry !

The App lets you remove covers - I like the inside of the Edge

BeoNut since '75

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,365
Bronze Member
TWG replied on Sat, Sep 1 2018 6:32 AM

elephant, that looks very interesting. Did you have the time to listen to it? How does it sound?
Is it like a gigantic Beoplay a1 or A1 (360° sound) and is its sound usable? How about a placement near a wall or like in your case in front of some furtniture?

pauljrog
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 85
Gold Member

I'm sorry but looking at the pictures it just looks......boring!!!

Loads of great looking speakers like beolab 8000, beolab 4000, more modern ones like beolab 3 and the best of them all Beolab 5. They all look interesting, they ask questions to the person looking at them, but this one......nothing

Just a round speaker with cloth end, wow, I wonder how long it took b&o to design this masterpiece.

They need to look at their design studio, look at the past successes and WHY they sold in so many numbers and then design a loudspeaker that invokes the same emotions to the purchaser.

No doubt it will look better in the flesh once I see it at my local dealer, but even with 0% finance I'm sure I'll not be purchasing one.

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,431
Bronze Member

I tend to agree that sculpturally the Edge lacks any details that show craftsmanship.

The Beo4 ,for example , was obviously developed from a piece of wooden dowel in the workshop. It's clear the flats were created at the top and bottom and that the flat area behind the display describes the section of the dowel. The "hoop" around the Edge should have an interesting edge rather than looking like a thin strip wrapped around the speaker looking like anybody could make it.

The illuminated detail in the strip is interesting but where is the "edge" which gives it some integrity?

The Edge still fascinates me as does how it will fit into people's lives and living spaces.

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

BeoET
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 73
Bronze Member
BeoET replied on Sat, Sep 1 2018 8:53 AM

I think the Edge is a great new sculpture speaker in the Beosound portfolio! It has the key part of a successful speaker; fantastic sound (based on the early reviews), multiroom, and the roll-volume feature that adds the extra magic to the traditional remote operation. A successful mix of technology, design and features. This is a sculpture you actually would like to touch when approaching, and that makes it stand out, IMO! The price point isn’t too bad either. 

BV Eclipse 65, BV5, BS Core, BL5, BL8000, BS9000, Beolit 12, A1, A2, P2, H8, H9i, H7, E8

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,431
Bronze Member

I use the word Sculpture because ,by the definition of the word, the Edge does not qualify as a sculpture;

it's an engineered product despite the intellect of its operation. 

the definition being the art of forming solidobjects that represent a thing, personidea, etc. out of a material such as woodclaymetal, or stone, or an objectmade in this way:

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,160
Gold Member
Duels replied on Sat, Sep 1 2018 9:48 AM
BeoET:

I think the Edge is a great new sculpture speaker in the Beosound portfolio! It has the key part of a successful speaker; fantastic sound (based on the early reviews), multiroom, and the roll-volume feature that adds the extra magic to the traditional remote operation. A successful mix of technology, design and features. This is a sculpture you actually would like to touch when approaching, and that makes it stand out, IMO! The price point isn’t too bad either.

I agree. I think it looks very approachable and tactile. For me it’s beauty in in its simplicity . The plain aluminium looks great to me.
elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,215
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Sep 1 2018 12:57 PM
TWG:

elephant, that looks very interesting. Did you have the time to listen to it? How does it sound?

Is it like a gigantic Beoplay a1 or A1 (360° sound) and is its sound usable? How about a placement near a wall or like in your case in front of some furtniture?

Sadly they did not put audio into the Augmented Reality B&O App — not a bad idea ! Even though it would not be a true representation.

BeoNut since '75

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 11,936
Bronze Member

elephant:

Sadly they did not put audio into the Augmented Reality B&O App — not a bad idea ! Even though it would not be a true representation.

Who knows - maybe some day 😉

MmM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

milva1
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Bronze Member
milva1 replied on Sat, Sep 1 2018 4:52 PM

For those of you who think that the Edge is expensive check out the latest competition in the same price range:

https://www.dali-speakers.com/loudspeakers/callisto/

Milton

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,371
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Sep 1 2018 6:01 PM

milva1:

For those of you who think that the Edge is expensive check out the latest competition in the same price range:

Milton

Not really comparable though is it? Kind of like saying if you think the Edge is expensive you should look at the Beolab 50!

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

pjk561
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 73
Bronze Member
pjk561 replied on Sat, Sep 1 2018 7:45 PM

I just don't see many buyers. I want equipment that will make my home theater sound even better. I think the edge is wasted energy on B&O's part.

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
Posts 458
Bronze Member
pjk561:

I just don't see many buyers. I want equipment that will make my home theater sound even better. I think the edge is wasted energy on B&O's part.

Disagree. I don’t have office floor or wall space that can handle an A9 or Shape, but a wall mounted Edge will be PERFECT!

B
BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
Posts 1,412
Bronze Member
BeoGreg replied on Sat, Sep 1 2018 10:49 PM

I wait to see it in the shop before final jugment.

Not impressed at the moment by the looks and don't imagine touching it for volume (but it's a good B&O idea).

Sound must be top notch, the most important.

On the wall with a Rolex dial fret you can make your dinning room a Rolex authorised dealer lookalike.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,215
Founder
BeoGreg:

On the wall with a Rolex dial fret you can make your dinning room a Rolex authorised dealer lookalike.

Lots of room for creativity ...

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,215
Founder
Barry Santini:

pjk561:

Barry:

Disagree. I don’t have office floor or wall space that can handle an A9 or Shape, but a wall mounted Edge will be PERFECT!

Sure Barry, however PJ was saying he wants something for a home theatre, and so like him I am puzzled how I would use a pair of Edges ... unless it makes a great central channel

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,215
Founder
Barry Santini:

a wall mounted Edge will be PERFECT!

B

For Barry, another AR however it is a wall mounted Edge ...

Nowhere to hang it ... This is the AR App’s UI ... the wired cross-hatching appears when the App detects a surface where you can hang or place your kit ... so I chose a spare picture hook Big Smile

One side and its innards ...

And now from the other side ...

BeoNut since '75

Peter the Biker
Top 100 Contributor
Eastwestfalia
Posts 850
Gold Member
elephant:

BeoNut since '75

And which side are you always looking on? The bright one?

Peter the biker

OldJack
Top 500 Contributor
Split
Posts 214
Gold Member
OldJack replied on Sun, Sep 2 2018 9:10 AM

Peter the Biker:
elephant:

BeoNut since '75

And which side are you always looking on? The bright one?

Endless possibilities...this one on a safe side Cool

Beogram 6500 MMC2,Beosound Ouverture,2xBeolab 8000,2xBelolab 4000,Beolab 2,Beolab 7.2,Beo4 navi, 2xBeocom2,Serene,Beosystem 3 mk3,H6 2nd gen,Earphones A8,A9 keyring,Bottle opener,Wine Set,4Ktv Samsung 55'',Beolab 7.1 with 42''Panasonic plasma,Oppo udp-203, LinTronic.

milva1
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Bronze Member
milva1 replied on Sun, Sep 2 2018 9:18 AM

Jeff:

milva1:

Milton

Not really comparable though is it? Kind of like saying if you think the Edge is expensive you should look at the Beolab 50!

Callisto 2C (€2800/pair)

Callisto 6C (€3600/pair)

DALI Sound Hub (€600).

Aren't they comparable pricewise? Anyway, I'd say all major speaker producers are moving in this direction (hi end bluetooth active speakers controlled by mobile phones) for those who are sick and tired of low quality bluetooth gadgets. I think B&O just couldn't miss this appointment stating its' presence with a highly innovative product compared to more conservative ones (like the Dali's). Not suitable for a home cinema setup though....

Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,359
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Sep 2 2018 9:21 AM
Difficult to see how a pair of Edges would work in a home theater setup.

With the speaker *** systems, be it the Shape, Edge, etc, I'm a bit puzzled why some people seem to spend time thinking about how to work them into a TV setup. Doesn't seem to me that is not how they are intended to be used, and in the case of the Edge, wouldn't a pair look a bit odd?

As for the Edge itself, it's an interesting enough design, seen better, seen worse. On the wall, I doubt the volume rocker won't really get used very much.
Howzit
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 94
Bronze Member
Howzit replied on Sun, Sep 2 2018 10:11 AM
Barry Santini:

B

I don’t understand how you don’t have space for a wall mounted A9, but would have it for this thing.

It’s extremely uneconomical space wise... a sideways mounted circle that would stick out half a meter?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 11,936
Bronze Member

Talking about ‘a home cinema setup’, when focussing on the BS Edge,

is missing the point of this system - and the efford put into the way it processes the sound.

It is a BeoSystem with an integrated speaker solution, intended to work on its own (like other BS’s).

A cinema setup consists of several ‘only-speakers’ that are combined by a multi channel preout processor (like the BSys4 etc).

This combination gives you the sound for the video content (and audio, dependent on how it is configured).

The Edge - like the Shapes, the BS1/2 - is a complete system, that can fill a room with a homogen, consistent (360 degree) sound from an audio/stereo/2 channel source (including sound from a tv through the NL capacity)

It was never intended to be part of a cinema setup!

Sure people will try to use these BSystems as a speaker for a tv - however, I would call that a mis-use 😉

And.....B&O makes excellent speakers intended for use in a ‘home cinema situation’, as we all know.

MM

Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,359
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Sep 2 2018 12:14 PM

Completely agree.

Seems an odd line of thinking, that is using a Shape, Egde etc in a TV setup.

Not even sure how it would actually even work in practice. A pair of A9's as right / lefts with a BV for example - does a BV see them as speakers (?) to form part of a group, or just as a separate NL product?  I guess there may be workarounds to get it to work, but doesnt seem worth the hassle. 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 11,936
Bronze Member

You can only use these, if you use the (analog) line-in with a seperated L/R (or from any channel in the video setup) signal.

Maybe  - if you do so - there would be latency due to the sound processing in the BS (A9) -(which I would not want to live with).

I wonder if the BS Edge has an analog line-in connection.....by the way.

MM

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 75 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 1,385
Gold Member

Hi MM

Yes, the Edge has a combined 3.5mm analogue line in and mini Toslink digital input socket, the same as the Core.

Kind regards Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,431
Bronze Member

BeoET:

I think you are mistaking Product Semantics for Sculpture. The Edge is a product rather than a sculpture despite the way it's form describes the interaction. Unlike recent products there seems to be no mention of a designer let alone an artist , generally the description of a sculptor.

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 209
Bronze Member

Steve at Sounds Heavenly:

Hi MM

Yes, the Edge has a combined 3.5mm analogue line in and mini Toslink digital input socket, the same as the Core.

Kind regards Steve.

First, Steve please accept my apologies for hijacking your comment. You opened the door for what has been swimming in my head. 

The premise behind B&O audio is now DSP, as it probably should be.

Somewhere about the time the BV11 came about, the wizards at B&O started the shift from horsepower and analog and metal and cables to psycho-acoustics and digital and polycarbonate and waves. Hidden behind the marketing gloss and fairy tales is/was the fact that B&O was dead in the water unless it changed dramatically. Different technology, different customers, different world, different music, just different. 

It was one of the last holdouts, probably because B&O was a glamour brand for decades and maintained a following long after the big names of the 1960s-1970s (significantly Philips and Nakamichi) changed directions. Hidden in the glossy books is the stubbornness/arrogance of some group of people that B&O could continue doing what it did and survive. Oddly, just about the time articles appeared about how David Lewis "ran" product development, B&O reached a fork in the road. It was a Tue-ning fork. Since then has been management, manufacturing, and product chaos, no matter what some sunshine- pumpers say. 

To say that DSP and psycho-acoustics won't work for video is putting our heads in the sand. LG is already doing it with a €1000 Atmos soundbar, which is probably part of the reason that relationship is over. BeoSystem 4 speaker profiles are DSP and BeoSystem 3's are not. Dolby Atmos is DSP and Dolby 5.1 is not. The hexagons work because DSP works. The Edge works because of DSP as it would make no damn sense whatsoever without it (The attraction of Edge as a style is so counterintuitive to me that I can only say, "I don't get it"). 

But TV is different. Sound complements video expression. Otherwise, just use subtitles. B&O is toast unless people pay multiples of normal price for style over commodity technology, quality, and support. I think B&O can do just that if they make a beautiful totally immersive a/v system with processing correction (a la Oppo) in a soundbar and/or flat wall array. It can be hugely successful, and they can sell the other products on retail racks and online. 

The thought makes my tail wag. Really. 

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,160
Gold Member
Duels replied on Sun, Sep 2 2018 3:30 PM
Simonbeo:

Unlike recent products there seems to be no mention of a designer let alone an artist

Michael Anastassiade is the named designer.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 11,936
Bronze Member

poodleboy:

The premise behind B&O audio is now DSP, as it probably should be.Somewhere about the time the BV11 came about, the wizards at B&O started the shift from horsepower and analog and metal and cables to psycho-acoustics and digital and polycarbonate and waves. Hidden behind the marketing gloss and fairy tales is/was the fact that B&O was dead in the water unless it changed dramatically. Different technology, different customers, different world, different music, just different. 

To say that DSP and psycho-acoustics won't work for video is putting our heads in the sand. 

B&O has ‘been DSP’ for ages now - you must have noticed that.

Geoff Martin (as an example) started at B&O in 2002.

The latest versions of the BV7 had a great deal of DSP inside - think Adaptive Sound Technology, the forerunner of the Speakers Roles/profiles.

However the BSys3 was too weak, not enough horse power - then came the BSys4.

The ABL in the speakers is not possible without digital sound processing.

The BeoSound 8 came in 2010 - they had worked on that long before Tue Mantoni came to B&O.

In my eyes there has been a straight line in the evolution of products for many, many  years - top examples the BL90 and the Sound Center....

.....and they are still working.

Who said that ‘DSP and psycho-acoustics won't work for video‘?

I said, that the way sound is processed in the BS Edge is not how it is needed for video/tv.

On the contrary - proved by the speaker system of the new Avant and the Sound Center of the BV Eclipse, there is no video sound without DSP.

And we don’t know, what they have a’cooking in Struer, when it comes to audio for video.

Maybe something, that could wag your tail....or not.

Releasing a ‘B&O Atmos soundbar’ would be too easy - that is not how things work at B&O.

MM

Page 3 of 8 (283 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL