Beosound Edge - Reactions?

rated by 0 users
This post has 307 Replies | 4 Followers

Raffaele Sgherri
Not Ranked
Fucecchio (FI) - Italy
Posts 47
Bronze Member

Agree, but would include the BeoShape as one clever idea. At least for me. :)

Raffaele Sgherri
Not Ranked
Fucecchio (FI) - Italy
Posts 47
Bronze Member

Agree, but would include the BeoShape as one clever idea. At least for me. :)

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,476
Bronze Member

Puncher:

It is a nice product but is isn't a substitute (for us oldies) for a "proper" sit-down stereo!

No, and does not intend to be.

There are plenty of options from B&O to have a ‘sit-down stereo’ setup.....when you sit in the right spot and your room is suited for that kind of listening.

B&O offers solutions for this and that - fortunately.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

OldJack
Top 500 Contributor
Split
Posts 256
Gold Member
OldJack replied on Wed, Aug 29 2018 10:29 PM

Just add clock hands.Every train station ,waiting room, etc. must  have one...Cool

Beogram 6500 MMC2,Beosound Ouverture,2xBeolab 8000,2xBelolab 4000,Beolab 2,Beolab 7.2,Beo4 navi, 2xBeocom2,Serene,Beosystem 3 mk3,H6 2nd gen,Earphones A8,A9 keyring,Bottle opener,Wine Set,4Ktv Samsung 55'',Beolab 7.1 with 42''Panasonic plasma,Beoplay A1,Oppo udp-203, LinTronic.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,476
Bronze Member

Maybe Skinnyplay could make a skin like that for the Edge.

MM

w5bno123
Top 150 Contributor
London
Posts 538
Bronze Member
w5bno123 replied on Wed, Aug 29 2018 11:04 PM
Millemissen:

Maybe Skinnyplay could make a skin like that for the Edge.

MM

I’ve already asked them with Ealing Broadway as the station name, it’s a very English/Victorian thing.
Rookie
Not Ranked
Posts 61
Bronze Member
Rookie replied on Wed, Aug 29 2018 11:12 PM

Jeff is absolutely right in my world ... this thing is a total desaster designwise and some of its functionality is questionable, at least.

And what about pairing two of these coins/pills to make it a stereo set? Can it really perform stereo with some software and DSP gimmicks, or is it just two mono speakers than can be synchronized.

Besides BL5's and lots of other older B&O i own a A9 and liked it at first sight, although i would have loved to have a pair of them, giving stereo sound. The mono thing is the only thing that is really annoying with the A9.

So i am really not against contemporary products and design, am thinking about having BL90 ... and one of my favourite modern Beo products is the H4 BT-headphone sitting pretty much at the low budget range of the brand. But this Edge thing is a visual nightmare for me without any inspiration and soul ... it is not even provocative to me, just plain dull.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,548
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Aug 30 2018 12:27 AM

Puncher:

Millemissen:

What is ‘proper stereo’?

MM

Don't even go there - I know what he means and I agree with him!

Music has become "audible wallpaper" and so single speakers like this have their place in the modern world but sometimes (and now all too infrequently), for us Pipe and Slippers Brigade, there is still time in the day to sit inbetween a pair of speakers that have decent physical separation and close our eyes to listen to what we hope is a reasonable facsimile of the "soundstage" that the Band and the Producer signed off on as their "Product". (I also recognise that this assumption is fraught with issues).

No amount of clever EQ or active DSP can process every single recorded piece of music in a "considered" way, regardless of how much different music was auditioned during its development - I'd like to think Geoff spends time with "The Mighty Groundhogs" and "Durham Concerto" while working on these things but he doesn't! 

It is a nice product but is isn't a substitute (for us oldies) for a "proper" sit-down stereo!

Proper stereo or pooper stereo? Stick out tongue

Years ago, back in the mid to late 80s I think, Revox made a strange little speaker, with drivers on both sides, except it was kind of a square base and two sides were triangular and the sides with the speakers were square, kind of a very thick wedge shape. They apparently used some kind of phase/out of phase wiring in the crossover, as this was unamplified and way before any kind of DSP to boot. Never saw one let alone heard one in the really real world, so this kind of concept is not new. I'm betting with DSP B&O can do a better job though, but it's designed to appeal to the modern approach of not wanting to dedicate the room or arrangement to have a "pooper stereo." We've regressed back to the days of everyone having a large mono radio for entertainment. I suppose as mentioned this will continue on for a few years then someone will suddenly rediscover stereo again.

I can't even begin to compare this with the a9, which from the first time I saw it I was impressed with the design, just gorgeous, one of the best looking things B&O has designed in years IMO. Not a pooper stereo, but for what it is, a single point setup, it looks good and would look great in the large combo dining/kitchen/sun room I have my old BL8000s in.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

beotex
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 72
Bronze Member
beotex replied on Thu, Aug 30 2018 5:32 AM
First reaction - it’s not immediately clear what it is when you see it. It’s intriguing. I’m not sure how it’s going to work, and I think that may be the reason why it works. It seems too simple.

Which brings me to my second reaction. It’s similar to my Beosound 2. People don’t know what it is, but they find it interesting. And the sound is impressive. That’s a good combo.

The discussion about “proper stereo” got me thinking about my setup. I’ve got two rooms with nice setups - Beolab 8000s and a Beolab 2 (and rear Beolab 6000s) in one, and the other with Beolab 18s and a Beolab 19. Want to know what we listen to most in the house? The Beosound 2. Big Smile
Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,548
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Aug 30 2018 5:38 AM

Want to know what we listen to most in the house? The Beosound 2.

Heathen!

SurpriseBig Smile

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

wogga383
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Bronze Member
wogga383 replied on Thu, Aug 30 2018 6:04 AM

Is it just another mono speaker? it states two tweeters and two midrange?Front and back speakers therefore does it offer stereo separation? Listening to music I think should be how it was recorded and how the artist intended.

Not overly fussed to see yet another mono speaker, its not rocking my boat.

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 544
Bronze Member

I believe I am already at that point where I want to swap a nice mono speaker (A9) for the stereo setup (two BLs17). Still, I like the design of Beosound Edge and I do agree it is very sculptural. Maybe not for everyone’s taste or everyone’s home - but it would nicely fit into mine. :)

Very curious to hear first listening impresssions once it starts to sell, also wondering where is the power cable situated? One thing I’m unsure about is fingerprints all over the beautiful aluminium sculpture as you rock the Edge back and forth daily... Price seems to be about right.

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,366
Silver Member
vikinger replied on Thu, Aug 30 2018 7:30 AM

Setting aside the stereo argument, there is something technically interesting in the photograph of the dismantled unit. Those plastic trumpet shaped sound ducts. It's the sound duct technology that was unique about the Bose Wave Radio. The Wave radio never made any claims about being hi fidelity but the output of those little units is quite phenomenal, and my Mk 1 Radio is running strong to this day.

Has the wave technology patent expired, or has a deal been done between Bose and B&O? Or is it something  different altogether?

Graham

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,476
Bronze Member

vikinger:

Setting aside the stereo argument, there is something technically interesting in the photograph of the dismantled unit. Those plastic trumpet shaped sound ducts. It's the sound duct technology that was unique about the Bose Wave Radio. The Wave radio never made any claims about being hi fidelity but the output of those little units is quite phenomenal, and my Mk 1 Radio is running strong to this day.

Has the wave technology patent expired, or has a deal been done between Bose and B&O? Or is it something  different altogether?

Graham

This kind of ‘plastic trumpet shaped sound ducts’ was actually used in the S8 sub as well.

The difference here is, that you (= the system) can choose not to use it - means it reacts as a sealed box system.

That is a bit different from what Bose (and others) have done.

Please check out this review - which gives some insight in the inside of the Edge (at the end of the video):

https://youtu.be/kDlImGhL9cg

MM

Jan Præst
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 32
Bronze Member

What about streaming? Is it only Bluetooth? Or still much better: WISA?

Regards

Jan Præst

BeoLap 17, BeoLap 3500, Beosound 35, BeoSystem 4, BeoPlay A2 Active, Beovision Eclipse 55, Beoplay E8 2.0

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,476
Bronze Member

Jeff:

Heathen!

SurpriseBig Smile

But an honest one, who just tells the truth of how he - and a lot others - are living with sound nowadays.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,476
Bronze Member

Jan Præst:

What about streaming? Is it only Bluetooth? Or still much better: WISA?

Basicly what the new (updated)  BeoSounds are.

No WiSA....it’s not a speaker, it’s a music system.

MM

Jan Præst
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 32
Bronze Member

So it's like ex. beoplay 5? Except the posibility to stream to frem another device?

Regards

Jan Præst

BeoLap 17, BeoLap 3500, Beosound 35, BeoSystem 4, BeoPlay A2 Active, Beovision Eclipse 55, Beoplay E8 2.0

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,476
Bronze Member

It is just like the new BS1 and 2.....because they just got updated with the Google Assistant support (and AirPlay 2) - or think BS Core or Essence (2nd gen).

MM

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,366
Silver Member
vikinger replied on Thu, Aug 30 2018 10:18 AM

Millemissen:

vikinger:

Graham

This kind of ‘plastic trumpet shaped sound ducts’ was actually used in the S8 sub as well.

The difference here is, that you (= the system) can choose not to use it - means it reacts as a sealed box system.

That is a bit different from what Bose (and others) have done.

Please check out this review - which gives some insight in the inside of the Edge (at the end of the video):

https://youtu.be/kDlImGhL9cg

MM

Thanks MM

Graham

Brian
Top 500 Contributor
London/Aarhus
Posts 167
Bronze Member
Brian replied on Thu, Aug 30 2018 10:30 AM

I like it but it wouldn’t fit in my dining room, floor standing or wall hung. I recently had to make some decisions re audio in my open plan dining room area and decided against placing my A9 there. The obvious place for speakers were a couple of block pillars so in the end I went for a set of wall hung BL8000s, a wall hung aluminium BL11 - all connected to a Beosound core. I guess I’m in the minority ‘pipes & slippers’ brigade but I do much prefer the ‘two speaker stereo sound’ to a single stand alone speaker. I also think 8000s look fantastic wall hung but that’s another story. All the cables were run before plastering courtesy of Steve from Soundsheavenly but I have yet to hook it all up as the WiFi is not functional yet in the house.

A Beosound edge would look wrong dangling from a pillar and being open plan there is no obvious floor placement.

Its an interesting concept the Edge but I think it might struggle because of limited placements.

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,406
Gold Member
TWG replied on Thu, Aug 30 2018 10:41 AM

I like it, too, but the wall mount idea is simply dumb. I guess after about 3 weeks in a real world home on a wall you an clearly identify the owners face on the speaker's fabric. Big Smile

Funnily, Technics seems to like the Beolab 4000 and made a high end speaker honoring the B&O shape:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/technics-launches-new-sc-c50-wireless-speaker

ed7
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 88
Bronze Member
ed7 replied on Thu, Aug 30 2018 10:52 AM

Personally do not like it as a shape bang & olufsen should have more imagination than acoustic Dyson fan.🤭                                                                         

trackbeo
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 240
Bronze Member
trackbeo replied on Thu, Aug 30 2018 12:38 PM

AnalogPlanet:
also wondering where is the power cable situated?
DC connector plug thru the face of the aluminum cylinder. (It looks to me like a "barrel" style, but might have a proprietary shaped rubber fitting around it.)  On B&O website product description ("Coming Soon" page), *wait* for their top animation to fully load, then scroll down thru it *slowly* and you'll see the connector jack at the end.  Obviously they don't want to show you the wall wart, but the video from IFA listed above also shows the cable in a side view of the wall hanger.[[EDIT: @tph is certainly right (see below) that a DC power supply is extremely unlikely; maybe that's the audio in?  But note there is one cable sheath connected in *all* the units in the IFA video.  The B&O animation view doesn't look like a figure-8 AC mains connector, so maybe there's yet another hole, intentionally not shown.]]
Brian:
I like it but it wouldn’t fit in my dining room, floor standing or wall hung.
Think of it as a BeoSound 2 alternative -- you toss it onto a table wherever you want sound.  Same projected-stereo to the sides, but all frequencies instead of only midranges in BS2.  (Wonder that they didn't include microphones for doing wall boundary cases automatically; I guess the presumption is open 1/2-space from the table or the wall, unless there is some switch or app setting.)  The wall hanger and any potential floor stand -- which I think could look cool, if it could be prevented from tipping -- don't seem to be the principal use cases.

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
Posts 533
Bronze Member

Puncher:

I'd like to think Geoff spends time with "The Mighty Groundhogs" and "Durham Concerto" while working on these things but he doesn't! 

Interesting choices - and an even more interesting assumption... Wink

The Durham Concerto has some brief moments that are good for evaluating depth in a stereo recording (he typed, while listening to the second movement, sitting in that dent in the sofa that was measured long ago to be equal distances to a reasonably well-positioned pair of loudspeakers...). However, to be honest, if I were forced to take a Jon Lord album to a desert island, it would be "Blues Project Live" instead.

I will admit, though, that I am not wearing slippers, nor do I even own a pipe... However, I will also admit that I am wearing my pair of glasses that only work for arms-length objects like computers and books (yes I occasionally read those things...). Perhaps the pipe and slippers are in the near future...

As a side-note: my album of choice this week is a little different - Randy Newman's  Live in London - both for the music and the stories he paints. Given a choice between Jon Lord and Randy Newman, I'll take the latter... this week... There's so much preparation involved in being stranded on an island - gives me a headache just thinking about it.

Cheers
-geoff

Mikipidia
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 954
Gold Member
Mikipidia replied on Thu, Aug 30 2018 3:41 PM

https://www.virtualmarket.ifa-berlin.de/en/Beosound-Edge,p1646372

Freedom of connectivity and voice-control 
Beosound Edge comes with the major industry standard technologies to provide the best streaming experience and to let you enjoy the streaming service of your choice. It comes with AirPlay 2, Chromecast2 and Bluetooth and it supports voice interaction when paired with either a Google Assistant-enabled speaker, such as Beosound 1 and Beosound 2, or an Amazon Echo device.
Pricing and availability 

from the B&O ifa 2018 product page

New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beovision eclipse, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound 1 Bronze edition, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1.

Mikipedia on YouTube (finally Stick out tongue )

https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 1,642
Gold Member

Hi everyone,

This does look to be a very interesting speaker, but maybe one that will take some time to get used to......

I was personally pleased to see that Beosound Edge has the same combined 3.5mm audio/mini Toslink socket fitted that is also on the Beosound Core, meaning that there are plenty of options for people who want to link the Edge or Shape speakers to a legacy B&O music system or TV.

I'm busy in the workshop this week developing and testing cables to give new ways of using different B&O systems with the new Beosound Shape and Edge, plus the existing range of Beoplay speakers. 

My first cable is ready now for the Edge and Shape, to give a wired connection from any classic Powerlink equipped Beosound or Beovision with these speakers:-

https://soundsheavenly.com/line-in-connection/177-2544-powerlink-to-beosound-core-edge-and-shape-cable-link-your-legacy-bo-audio-system-to-your-new-bo-speaker.html#/2-length-1m

I would be interested to hear if there are any setups that Beoworlders would want to use if the cables were available please? (eg. Beosound 9000 with Beosound Edge, Sonos Connect to Beosound Shape without needing the Core, etc) Any ideas, please let me know!

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

tph
Top 500 Contributor
Finland
Posts 139
Bronze Member
tph replied on Thu, Aug 30 2018 4:48 PM

trackbeo:

AnalogPlanet:
also wondering where is the power cable situated?
DC connector plug thru the face of the aluminum cylinder. (It looks to me like a "barrel" style, but might have a proprietary shaped rubber fitting around it.)  On B&O website product description ("Coming Soon" page), *wait* for their top animation to fully load, then scroll down thru it *slowly* and you'll see the connector jack at the end.  Obviously they don't want to show you the wall wart, but the video from IFA listed above also shows the cable in a side view of the wall hanger.

I'm about 99% certain there won't be an external power brick – it would have to be massive. The power supply will be inside the loudspeaker, with a direct AC cable from the speaker to the wall, just like BeoSound 1 & 2.

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,605
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Thu, Aug 30 2018 6:19 PM

Geoff Martin:

Puncher:

I'd like to think Geoff spends time with "The Mighty Groundhogs" and "Durham Concerto" while working on these things but he doesn't! 

Interesting choices - and an even more interesting assumption... Wink

The Durham Concerto has some brief moments that are good for evaluating depth in a stereo recording (he typed, while listening to the second movement, sitting in that dent in the sofa that was measured long ago to be equal distances to a reasonably well-positioned pair of loudspeakers...). However, to be honest, if I were forced to take a Jon Lord album to a desert island, it would be "Blues Project Live" instead.

I will admit, though, that I am not wearing slippers, nor do I even own a pipe... However, I will also admit that I am wearing my pair of glasses that only work for arms-length objects like computers and books (yes I occasionally read those things...). Perhaps the pipe and slippers are in the near future...

As a side-note: my album of choice this week is a little different - Randy Newman's  Live in London - both for the music and the stories he paints. Given a choice between Jon Lord and Randy Newman, I'll take the latter... this week... There's so much preparation involved in being stranded on an island - gives me a headache just thinking about it.

Cheers
-geoff

LaughingLaughing - they were two cd's I could see from where I was sitting (a new sofa sans 4rse-groove.... i was very upset to see the old sofa go). To be honest I'm not even a big Jon Lord fan, (I bought it for the Durham connection and quite liked it) Rick wakeman was always my keyboard player of choice.

Anyhoo -  I shall try and be more obscure next time I try and guess albums you don't listen too!Laughing

Oh, and my favourite Groudhogs album is actually "Split"

Ban boring signatures!

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 544
Bronze Member

Thanks trackbeo and tph! I believe many prospective Edge owners will be interested in the same topic - in highly stylized homes a power cable visibly and freely roaming is a no-go. 

jowus
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 101
Bronze Member
jowus replied on Thu, Aug 30 2018 8:09 PM
Confused! Now I see Edge, I do Appreciate more of the A9! The Sound might be Good on the Edge but Style-wise and Elegant Of it is nothing compare to the Edge! They could’ve done a better job than just a Rolling Speaker! The Silver thing could’ve been more Dress up! I wish the A9 would’ve the Sound Of The Edge!
moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 4,862
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Aug 30 2018 8:35 PM

jowus:
Confused! Now I see Edge, I do Appreciate more of the A9!

And there was a time when Beoplay were shifting them in the UK for only £1195 as a refurb - such good value. An amazing speaker.

I'm not a fan of the Edge design. Not a huge fan of that much metal in my home. I bet it sounds amazing though!

Steph
Top 100 Contributor
France
Posts 996
Bronze Member
Steph replied on Thu, Aug 30 2018 9:05 PM

The BeoSound Edge has bluetooth, so, can we control it with a BeoRemote One BT ?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,476
Bronze Member

Steph:

The BeoSound Edge has bluetooth, so, can we control it with a BeoRemote One BT ?

This is a good question.

However, assuming that the Edge is built just like the Core, the Essence, BS1/2 etc, it is not possible.

This is something, that should be adressed generally for all these devices.

Why have a beautiful and clever (!) remote - and not being able to control the BeoSounds with it is plain bs imo.

If not already the case, the guys in Struer should be working on making this possible.

N.B. Using the Essence Remote (the wheely) should be possible.

MM

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,605
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Fri, Aug 31 2018 6:34 AM

Millemissen:

Steph:

This is a good question.

However, assuming that the Edge is built just like the Core, the Essence, BS1/2 etc, it is not possible.

This is something, that should be adressed generally for all these devices.

Why have a beautiful and clever (!) remote - and not being able to control the BeoSounds with it is plain bs imo.

If not already the case, the guys in Struer should be working on making this possible.

N.B. Using the Essence Remote (the wheely) should be possible.

MM

One of the video reviews I watched said it came with a small 'wheel remote '

Ban boring signatures!

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 544
Bronze Member

Imagine if such remote would be a “mini” version of the Edge itself, standing upright on a small stand! #inlove 

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,357
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Fri, Aug 31 2018 6:54 AM
Puncher:

One of the video reviews I watched said it came with a small 'wheel remote '

Quite sure that they refer to the “Essence remote”

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

Raffaele Sgherri
Not Ranked
Fucecchio (FI) - Italy
Posts 47
Bronze Member

Jeff:

Heathen!

SurpriseBig Smile

To me, is still BL8000s + BS2 (altough via Spotify Connect, barely from CDs).

I enter home and shout to Google to start it :)

Howzit
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 94
Bronze Member
Howzit replied on Fri, Aug 31 2018 8:32 AM
It’s......... interesting.

For me, aesthetically, it’s a design success, and a design peculiarity at the same time. In regular middle class homes, I think it might need some consideration on placement at the risk of looking cheapened. In that setting, perhaps it looks a little like a cake tin with fabric stretched over it on either side.

However, surprisingly, in my mind’s eye, put into an extremely large, mostly glass, 30 foot-ceiling-height modern home, it would simply be exquisite. Coupled with Minotti and B&B Italia furniture, this piece would be stunning!

It’s growing on me...... seems like you would need a really large blank white wall for this to live on, to do it justice, or very expensive high-gloss low coffee tables to work with in a large sitting room.

The website is spot on!

A9 I think allows a little more flexibility in different styles of homes... this piece is certainly more tron/blade runner-esk.

Overall I think it’s great. Could use one in my office!

Beolab 9 | Beolab 8000 | Beolab 6000 | Beolab 2 | Beolab 3 | Beosound 9000 | Beoplay A9 | Beomaster 8000 | Beovox M75, / S75, / S45.2 

Page 2 of 8 (308 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL