BeoSound 1 & 2 next gen announced!

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 72 Replies | 1 Follower

kuyttendaele
Top 150 Contributor
419 Posts
Bronze Member
kuyttendaele posted on Thu, Aug 23 2018 3:06 PM

Petros Belli, Director Audio & Video products just annouced the updates of BeoSound 1 & 2 with Google Assistant:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm0iETdD7-T/?taken-by=petrosbeli

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm0f-rLj_Ge/?taken-by=petrosbeli

Karel.

All Replies

Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
1,338 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Aug 24 2018 8:43 PM
Indeed, and that's a good option for existing A9 owners.

Nice that they are adding voice though to the existing range, even if I have no interest in it myself.

I do like the addition of the buttons on the updated BS1/2, that's a nice surprise.

Was merely though expressing a hope more broadly that the A9 continues, as it is just so very good still.
mbee
Top 50 Contributor
Paris, France
1,670 Posts
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Fri, Aug 24 2018 10:08 PM

I also think that A9 must continue, it's a classic.

I don't see why B&O would stop it: I think it's selling quite well, it has a B&O aluminum touch (so it's not too much Beoplay as the A6, and can join the B&O main brand)... Only problem of the A9 on the current product line: it's way too cheap at almost the same price than the BS2 mkII! But B&O has always known how to solve this problem...

By the way, adding microphones to an A9 is not as convenient as for BS1 and BS2: when you have a GA product, you try to place it at a position where you can listen to it from almost anywhere in the room and a position where it can listen to you wherever you are... So adding GA to a mobile speaker that kinds of follows you is a logical addition. Concerning the A9 it's a fixed setup, you want to place it where it sounds better (and where it can have a bit of place, as it's quite big), and it's not evident that it's a nice place for it to listen to your orders...

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,215 Posts
Founder
Sandyb:

I wonder if they voice update the A9 - be a real shame if they ditch the model.

A google home mini will extend its life

BeoNut since '75

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
510 Posts
Bronze Member

...as well as the Airplay 2 fw update. Good to see existing products will be able to join the voice trend in two major ecosystems.

w5bno123
Top 150 Contributor
London
495 Posts
Bronze Member
w5bno123 replied on Sat, Aug 25 2018 10:47 AM
moxxey:

I think you sort of missed my point a little. I paid £995 for my BS1 - two years on and it's more expensive. Every other manufacturer of tech devices manages to reduce pricing, not increase!

Sorry, I got your point and hear you, but people think that adding GVA is the sole reason for a 15% price rise.

I’ve never known B&O to successfully reduce costs, every year there’s a price rise!? If it’s not currency fluctuation it’s component price Increases from third parties.

Personally I think the BS1 should have remained a £995 price point product. We sold more then...
vlohjr1
Top 200 Contributor
402 Posts
Bronze Member
vlohjr1 replied on Mon, Aug 27 2018 12:19 PM
Does this mean all core and mk2 essence need replacing for voice activated control or just software update or even adding BO compatible bridging device?

Thanks

Vince
leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
1,833 Posts
Bronze Member

The GVA should of course be built in to the Core. That way you could voice control all your products when you are in talking range to the Core. 

But I highly doubt that they will do something that actually upgrades a product you already paid for.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
4,739 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Aug 27 2018 1:12 PM

w5bno123:

I’ve never known B&O to successfully reduce costs, every year there’s a price rise!? If it’s not currency fluctuation it’s component price Increases from third parties.

True, but the reason most hardware manufacturer's reduce prices year-on-year is that the economies of scale is reduced over time, partly as the cost of recouping their R&D on the design and initial prototyping, is obtained within the first year or so. Not completely convinced about the 'component price increasing' as a good excuse for raising prices each year.

The BS2 is better value than the BS1. In hindsight, I wish I'd bought the BS2.

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
192 Posts
Bronze Member

moxxey:

w5bno123:

True, but the reason most hardware manufacturer's reduce prices year-on-year is that the economies of scale is reduced over time, partly as the cost of recouping their R&D on the design and initial prototyping, is obtained within the first year or so. Not completely convinced about the 'component price increasing' as a good excuse for raising prices each year.

The BS2 is better value than the BS1. In hindsight, I wish I'd bought the BS2.

It's all about what you have to do with your free cash that you and your friends reported as "gross profit". If you used cash to build your stuff you get to spend it on what you want, like R&D or bonuses, or hiring, or stock purchase, or all kind of fun things. If you borrowed money to buy your raw materials then your free cash is probably gone. By communicating EBITDA it would be interesting to see what people were doing with money to need to raise prices. 

Wonder why the CFO got the boot and the new board member is CEO of Panda? Affordable luxury is the new brand strategy, perhaps? Makes sense, putting B&O standard in some Fords, and blending the sub-brand back into the main brand. Just don't look behind the curtain. 

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
1,430 Posts
Bronze Member

When you say "bought in your raw materials" how does that apply when it's all outsourced?

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
192 Posts
Bronze Member

Simonbeo:

When you say "bought in your raw materials" how does that apply when it's all outsourced?

What a fun question! Would it depend upon whether I bought 1000 of your regular production and you or I stored them, versus me promising to buy those 1000 things you built over a period of time according to my specification? Those would have different impacts on both bottom lines, but I don't know how significant either would be. 

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
1,430 Posts
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Mon, Aug 27 2018 10:19 PM

It would also depend in how costs were amortised ; whether shared with the supplier or spent upfront. There are many variables we'll probably never know about. 

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
North East France
605 Posts
Bronze Member

I spoked to a dealer as I’m not interested in the voice assistant and he told e the mk1 will not support the docking station :-(

it it seems as well that in countries having voice assistants mk1 will not coexist with mk2. 

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
583 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Sun, Sep 9 2018 6:23 PM
To any current owners, how useful do you think the “my buttons” will be? Is this a feature you have been seriously missing? If one isn’t interested in voice control, is it worth waiting and/or paying a premium for the newer models?
TWG
Top 75 Contributor
1,338 Posts
Bronze Member
TWG replied on Mon, Sep 10 2018 8:00 AM

The my buttons are one of the best features in the new generation: You don't need an app, your phone/tablet just to switch favorites (e.g. radio station for the kids, one for background music while dining etc.)

Would the new Beosound 1 & 2 work when you physically cut off the internal microphones? 

Page 4 of 5 (73 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL