Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 20 Replies | 1 Follower

Christian Leicht
Not Ranked
Aarhus, Denmark
71 Posts
Bronze Member
Christian Leicht posted on Tue, Aug 21 2018 9:15 AM

Quick question.

I just bought a BeoGram 6000 Quad. The dustcover says BeoGram 6000, it has the CH4-lamp and the Quad-switch on the right side and quad is working.

But it says BeoGram 4002 on the back, where the red circle is, instead of BeoGram 6000, like it should on the pictures i can find online.

Is this because it is a variant of the 4002 and they reused the cabinet or did i buy a pig in a poke?

Kind Regards,

Christian Leicht

https://leicht.io - B&O Custom Parts & 3D Models

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
12,988 Posts
Founder
Answered (Verified) Dillen replied on Wed, Aug 22 2018 10:23 AM
Verified by Christian Leicht

The serialnumber label counts.

Replacing the dustcover doesnt make it a 6000

Martin

All Replies

politician
Top 500 Contributor
170 Posts
Bronze Member

It's interesting that some Beogram 4002s were fitted with quad circuitry to effectively become Beogram 6000s. Was this ever done with the Beogram 4000? Is this even possible?

the_o_master
Top 100 Contributor
856 Posts
Bronze Member

politician:

It's interesting that some Beogram 4002s were fitted with quad circuitry to effectively become Beogram 6000s. Was this ever done with the Beogram 4000? Is this even possible?

I am sure it was never done with BG4000. The Beogram 4002 was the successor of the BG4000 and at some (early) point of the development the BG4002 got the place for the quad PCB with the CD4 switch on the right side of the housing.

So to answer the Christians question: There is actually no "real" BeoGram 6000, they are all modified 4002s with fitted CD4 PCB, and matching lettering on the dust cover and on the labels Big Smile

Theomaster

Vintage Bang & Olufsen

RogerGustavsson
Not Ranked
33 Posts
Bronze Member

I have both of them, one 6000 and one 4002. They are almost identical. Sure, the CD4 PCB is missing in the 4002. I liked the idea of having an onboard RIAA-stage but i am not sure it is a very good one. Started to look for a 4002 and found one. Would like to fit a modern RIAA-stage inside it.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,688 Posts
Gold Member

RogerGustavsson:

I have both of them, one 6000 and one 4002. They are almost identical. Sure, the CD4 PCB is missing in the 4002. I liked the idea of having an onboard RIAA-stage but i am not sure it is a very good one. Started to look for a 4002 and found one. Would like to fit a modern RIAA-stage inside it.

I remember that member beolover built a prototype onboard RIAA preamplifier for a Beogram 4002 project. You can contact him and see if he has that available.

RogerGustavsson
Not Ranked
33 Posts
Bronze Member

Yes, I know that and I have had some conversations with him. The one that he have is made for the later 4002 (type 5513), not for the type 5501 or 6000 type 5502. It will need to be modified to fit. Not sure about its sonic performance, probably on par with the RIAA that sits inside my Beogram 6500. That one is not that bad, better than my 5500 with a Pro-Ject Phono Box. Still better is my Sentec PP-9. Anyway, my plan is to send the 4002 to Beolover for an overhaul, like his insight in motor checkup. My 6000 is cosmeticly not as good as my 4002. The built-in CD4/RIAA is of Little use as I have no intentions to play any 4-channel records.  

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,688 Posts
Gold Member

I can vouch for the motor rebuilds (both AC and DC platter motor types). He has done several for me and the twenty-four hour burn-in test shows the improvement in stability.

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL