rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 19 Replies | 1 Follower

IndyBoy1007
Not Ranked
18 Posts
Bronze Member
IndyBoy1007 posted on Sun, Aug 19 2018 8:00 PM

Hi all :) 

I'm 28yo and approaching the verge of buying my very own B&o setup and wanted to ask for your wisdom and advice.

My father has a BeoSystem 2500 with Pentas MK3 , I grew up around these, polishing them , cleaning them, and putting them together and taking them apart whenever we moved so I feel like I've been a part of this community for years without ever having owned my own B&o haha

The thing is I've always wanted my own setup and now having been working and saving for about 2-3 years I'm somewhat in a position to do so - ideally I wanted a Beolab 18 with essence setup because to be honest I'd only ever use it wirelessly through my phone as I don't own any music physically. I know I'm a little below the average age of this forum haha but I use streaming services for all of my music or the radio.

That kit however is WAY out of my budget considering I'm renting at the min so I was going to put it off into the future but a friend of mine convinced me I need to live a little and maybe get something I CAN afford until I can get the ideal setup I dream of. So I was thinking of going for the Beosound 2 for 1500GBP odd but it has a lot less presence but then I stumbled upon the second hand market for BeoSound 8000s and there are ALOT of them out there of varying conditions and ages.

Don't mean to be so long winded but I suppose what I want to ask is considering the music I listen to is quite bass heavy should I opt for Mark 2 8000s?  (I gather these have enhanced bass? but I don't know for certain and tend to go for 2x the price of the MK 1 online , MK I can get for 400-500 a pair , MK 2 nothing is below 800 GBP) -  is this worth the difference?

Secondly, would an essence work to make them wireless and would the essence be better or a Core which I think is now the replacement for the essence since the "shape" came out.

So that is what I'm thinking BeoSound 8000s (MK1 or MK2) with an essence but if I go MK2 I may as well get the BeoSound 2 for that price no? I'm really at a loss and would appreciate some advice on this - I don't want to shell out more that 1500 GBP tops but I really want some B&o in my life right now I've waited too long for this! 

Lastly, I'm so too pleased to finally be posting on this forum I've been reading, learning and laughing along with you all for years from the sidelines feeling as though I didn't belong without having my own but the thread "Show off your Bang and Olufsen" really showed me you don't need to have the newest most expensive kit to really enjoy and appreciate the beauty of B&o - so I will now update my signature with my only B&o product that I own in the hope I'll one day join the lofty ranks of you lot ;)

- Thank you in advance for the help love from Scotland :D

new to the game - awaiting my first BL 8000s MK1 Lets have a Party !!!

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

beoaus
Top 500 Contributor
170 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) beoaus replied on Mon, Aug 20 2018 5:36 AM
Verified by IndyBoy1007

Hello,

I upgraded my MK1 (1999) to MK2 speakers. There were a couple of versions on the upgrade and I went all in.

Speaker cones and some circuitry was changed. You can tell the difference in mid range testing at certain volumes side by side against MK1 units, otherwise maybe not. I do understand the upgrade fixed a few problems. One being the failing of a speaker at medium to high volumes in certain circumstances, though I don't believe these issues were widespread. The upgrade created a  louder sounding speaker in different ranges.

Eventually some MK1 and 2 speakers did have corrections made by B&O service when the mid range or crossover circuitry failed. B&O service at the time could check against the speakers serial number.

When making your choice perhaps run an extended test at a reasonable volume and listen clearly to each speaker. A 2nd or 3rd purchaser may have very different listening requirements to that of the original owner so pro longed listening, concentrating on the mid range, is the best you can do, other than asking for a warranty.

Good luck Beoaus.

All Replies

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
1,415 Posts
Bronze Member
BeoGreg replied on Sun, Aug 19 2018 10:23 PM

I don't think you will notice a difference beetwen mk1 and mk2 speakers.

Yes the bass improved on paper but in real life I won't bother the extra £.

Try to find a pair that been cherished whatever the MK.

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
1,415 Posts
Bronze Member
BeoGreg replied on Sun, Aug 19 2018 10:23 PM

I don't think you will notice a difference beetwen mk1 and mk2 speakers.

Yes the bass improved on paper but in real life I won't bother the extra £.

Try to find a pair that been cherished whatever the MK.

beoaus
Top 500 Contributor
170 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) beoaus replied on Mon, Aug 20 2018 5:36 AM
Verified by IndyBoy1007

Hello,

I upgraded my MK1 (1999) to MK2 speakers. There were a couple of versions on the upgrade and I went all in.

Speaker cones and some circuitry was changed. You can tell the difference in mid range testing at certain volumes side by side against MK1 units, otherwise maybe not. I do understand the upgrade fixed a few problems. One being the failing of a speaker at medium to high volumes in certain circumstances, though I don't believe these issues were widespread. The upgrade created a  louder sounding speaker in different ranges.

Eventually some MK1 and 2 speakers did have corrections made by B&O service when the mid range or crossover circuitry failed. B&O service at the time could check against the speakers serial number.

When making your choice perhaps run an extended test at a reasonable volume and listen clearly to each speaker. A 2nd or 3rd purchaser may have very different listening requirements to that of the original owner so pro longed listening, concentrating on the mid range, is the best you can do, other than asking for a warranty.

Good luck Beoaus.

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
3,608 Posts
Bronze Member
Evan replied on Thu, Aug 23 2018 6:34 AM
Welcome Smile

This isn't really answering your question but why not try to find another pair of BeoLab Pentas?

This year I went from MK3 BeoLab Pentas to a set of MK1 BeoLab 8000s. While the 8000 is a great all-rounder, I do miss the effortlessness that the Pentas had.

You should be able to find a set for similar money.

Beo4 'til I die!

pauljrog
Top 500 Contributor
88 Posts
Bronze Member

As you listen to the same type of music as me, bass heavy, I don't think you should by a pair of 8000.

I would get a pair of 4000 or 6000 with a beolab 2 sub, that would work better.

The pentas are also a good idea and very good value for money.

If you get the 8000 then turn them up really high the bass will disappear.

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
1,023 Posts
Bronze Member
Kiran replied on Thu, Aug 23 2018 3:44 PM
For Ā£1500, get a pair of BL6000 or BL8000 and a BL2.

Get a powerlink to 3.5mm cable.

Plug the 3.5mm side into a streamer - apple airport express used as airplay, straight into a phone or into a bluetooth receiver. Options are endless...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
1,023 Posts
Bronze Member
Kiran replied on Thu, Aug 23 2018 3:45 PM
Paulrog has the idea šŸ‘šŸ»šŸ’Æ

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

IndyBoy1007
Not Ranked
18 Posts
Bronze Member

I've opted for BL 8000 with a BL 2 sub

Thing is my dad has pentas MK2 already so I feel like I own a pair of those without having them in my own house haha

IndyBoy1007
Not Ranked
18 Posts
Bronze Member

Gone with BL 8000 around £450 , trying to get a BL 2 for around £500 max and then cables and essence will take me to £1500 *sad face*

Wayyy better value for money than a BeoSound 2 thougg right? And much more fun haha!

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
2,264 Posts
Silver Member
Do remember that the Essence will eventually loose Spotify support.

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,219 Posts
Founder
leogoeswild:

Do remember that the Essence will eventually loose Spotify support.

Whereas an old phone permanently powered will probably not.

BeoNut since '75

delroy
Not Ranked
43 Posts
Bronze Member
delroy replied on Sun, Aug 26 2018 10:13 PM

Do keep in mind that the BL 8000 have a serious foam issue that might render them broken at some point. You might want to research this and check if yours are affected.

Rob - Danish AV
Top 200 Contributor
Melbourne
376 Posts
Bronze Member

I've had Beolab 8000 MK1 & MK2 side by side and struggle to find the different.

peace of mind, the MK2 are going to be much newer, which is a plus!

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
1,023 Posts
Bronze Member
Kiran replied on Mon, Aug 27 2018 10:32 AM
Hook up an old iPhone or iPad.

You can pair a BeoRemote One bluetooth version to the iPhone/iPad to skip through tracks, play/pause... šŸ‘šŸ»šŸ’Æ

Iā€™m an Apple fan by the way... not sure if it works with Android...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL