rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 2 Followers

OlivierC
Not Ranked
11 Posts
Bronze Member
OlivierC posted on Wed, Aug 8 2018 10:38 PM

Hello, 

I’m still quite new to the BeoWorld, I’m just starting to dip my toes, therefore pardon me in case my questions might sound a bit naive. 

I am currently looking for a pre-loved white BeoPlay V1-40 with the ambition of using it primarily as a wireless speaker for streaming music (Apple Music, Spotify, TuneIn) via Apple devices (both iOS and macOS), for an old audio system via Airport Express, then as a tv player of streamed content (Netflix and NAS). 

Hence my questions. 

1) I thought I had collected all the possible facts about the V1 in the past few weeks, while just today I have stumbled on the information that the WiFi antenna was an option! 😳

What if it is not included? Should I look for the OE Tyco antenna? If yes, any suggestion on where I can find it and estimated cost? If not, is there any alternate option you may suggest? Which 802.11 standard is complying to? Single or dual band?

2) I would like to add the 4K Apple TV, even though I am aware I will not benefit of the 4K and HDR features. 

Would it still fit on the recessed rear channel? Would it work also as a WiFi receiver for the TV (then making the Tyco antenna unnecessary)? How can I control music streaming from old hi-fi+AE, speakers on and video turned off? Would casual gaming via A-TV have the same lag experienced with game consoles? 

3) In case of future wireless audio expansion what would you suggest? Would it be possible to connect BeoPlay A6 or A9? 

Well, while re-reading my post I have noticed that I have collected a fair amount of doubts, so I hope you Gentlemen can help to clarify at least some of them. 

Thank you! 

OlivierC

All Replies

jans
Top 200 Contributor
Belgium
346 Posts
Bronze Member
jans replied on Thu, Aug 9 2018 8:31 AM
Hello Olivier

I can tell you that - IMHO -the V1 is an excellent TV which has always offered a lot of value for money! You will certainly not regret buying one as your first steps into the B&O world.

From your use cases, it looks that most of the connectivity questions can be resolved by adding an ATV to the V1, both for music and other content such as Netflix. I don’t have an ATV4 so I can’t confirm if it fits in the back, but I am sure other forum members will be able to give you more info.

Of course, once you want to go for the B&O multi room experience, you will need connect the V1 to your local network, either via WiFi, or preferably with a wired connection. I can’t comment on connecting another WiFi antenna to the V1. It is strange that it isn’t offered together with the tv.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
10,813 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Oliver,

if you can’t get the original receiver, a better way (maybe) would be to get a wireless access point with a network port and use to wire the V1.

The V1 definitely should be on your home network - the ATV4 can go wifi and most other modern devices too.

Where to hide this gear is another issue - I prefer having these in a cupboard or similar nearby.

The V1-40 is a good choice - especially when you consider the price.

Don’t expect to use the SmartTV functions - Youtube, Netradio and the DLNA client are very usefull, however.

In some cases you can program the tv to turn off the screen when listening to music only.

When not you can use the P.Mute function on the remote.

If you need to go budget, do consider buying a BeoPlay M3 and connect (NL) this to the V1 - might give you some more source options and B&O multiroom.

Also AirPlay2 to the ATV4/V1 and the M3 can give you yet another multiroom option.

Have fun with your ‘new’ V1.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

OlivierC
Not Ranked
11 Posts
Bronze Member

jans, MM, thank you both for the prompt response. 

From the information you have provided, it should be a “low risk” scenario. 

Good to know! 

Mine I will try to dig more from the sellers, then I will let you knw! 

Cheers. 

OlivierC

OlivierC
Not Ranked
11 Posts
Bronze Member
OlivierC replied on Fri, Sep 14 2018 10:19 AM
Dear All, 
I am glad to announce I’ve been able to find a BP V1-40 and I’m happy with this set so far, despite of the fact I’m still learning. 
At least I am now able to answer to some of the questions I have originally posted. 
  1. The Tyco antenna is almost always included, however it is safer to ask before buying. It is a dual frequency 802.11n WLAN. In addition I would also suggest to ask if the PUC cable is included. Mine didn’t but I have solved thanks to Steve @SoundsHeavenly.com. My understanding is that the V1 was originally supplied with at least one of those cables. 
  2. The recessed area behind the V1 can store an Apple TV up to ver. 3 but not the following versions as they are thicker. Well, they can still be installed but the back cover wouldn’t fit. This is a pity because a 1/2 inch deeper channel would have been sufficient to fit the lates ATV’s. 
  3. I’m not 100% sure but my understanding is that wireless audio expansion would require a Transmitter 1. I don’t think it is possible to wirelessly connect two m3 or m5 as right and left speakers. 
Now I have a further question but first please check the pictures hereunder. 
After securing the Tyco antenna in the recessed rear channel, the back cover is not fitting properly, as if the antenna height is higher than the available space in the channel. 
Is there anyone experiencing the same issue? In case it is not, may you please suggest how to properly place the Tyco antenna in order to avoid that rear “bump”? 
Another item is related to the tv apps. 
YouTube works flawlessly but TuneIn doesn’t stream most of the radios. 
There’s an “error while downloading the playlist” message. 
I have also noticed that the V1 is still showing the old icon: does it all happen because the apps are no more supported/updated?
Any suggestion would be appreciated! 
Cheers. 
OlivierC
P.S. I love how the V1 sounds with both movies and music!
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
10,813 Posts
Bronze Member

To 3.

The V1’s don’t have WiSA built-in - you’ll need the transmitter.

The M3/M5 are not speakers - they are ‘all in one music systems’.

The are supposed to connect to the V1 through NL (using the router-hardwire/wifi).

I know some people try to use the kine-in connections of the M3/5.

I would not advice to do this - it is too fiddly and won’t satisfy you in the end.

Get some preowned BL4000 (BL4 or alike) instead!

The buit-in netradio function in V1 is not TuneIn - personally I have had no problems finding the stations I need.

MM

OlivierC
Not Ranked
11 Posts
Bronze Member
OlivierC replied on Fri, Sep 14 2018 12:17 PM

Thank you MM! 

I will consider the speakers suggesiton for the future upgrade! 

I have now added the pictures: do you (or other user) know why the Tyco antenna is not fitting in the channel? 

Am I doing something wrong or is it supposed to be placed in a different position/area, outside the TV? 

Cheers. 

OliverC

benjnz
Top 500 Contributor
77 Posts
Bronze Member
benjnz replied on Fri, Sep 14 2018 2:29 PM

Hi Oliver, am not sure if mine came with official B&O antenna or not, however from the picture mine is situated at the other end of the cabinet to yours, so not sure if that helps or not.

Have also used mine to wirelessly NetLink to an M5 and a BS2and it seems ok, although I can agree getting some BL4000, as they're amazing speakers and getting cheaper all the time.

For network radio either set-up N.Radio in the connections list, or I use the Receiver app on the AppleTv.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
10,813 Posts
Bronze Member

benjnz:

For network radio either set-up N.Radio in the connections list, or I use the Receiver app on the AppleTv.

I would surely do the first.

If Oliver does not know yet - you can map the Netradio to Radio and start your radio stations directly from the (Beo4) remote.

You can even use the digits on the remote for a specific station - on the BeoRemote One you can use one (or more) of the quick buttons for easy accesss.

Getting to your favourite station via the ATV is much too fiddly.

As for the wifi dongle - never used it....my BV’s are hardwired 😉

MM

madskp
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
207 Posts
Gold Member
madskp replied on Fri, Sep 14 2018 3:44 PM
Hello Oliver

It looks like you placed the antenna above one of the fixing points and strapped it to the fixing point. I think that the problem may be that the fixing point is a little higher than the rest of the surface thus making it to thick to fit.

On my V1 i have secured the antenna by strapping the wire to the fixing point and fit the antenna in between some of the other cables in the compartment. That said the plastic cover is not secured very good and you have to make your cable organization very tidy to make sure it stays on
Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL