rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 27 Replies | 0 Followers

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,778 Posts
Founder
Peter posted on Wed, Aug 8 2018 8:22 PM

Planning to finally replace my faithful 32" Avant DVD - and will get a 55" flat screen - but which one? The Avant is attached to my BC2 DVD and the house system runs via ML to MCL.

I am thinking that the BV7 would be the simplest switch. I don't like the Eclipse and had a BV10 butI didn't like the sound quality. BV11 is possibly better but I will need an amplifier for the feed to upstairs.

Thoughts?And where would you source it from?

Peter

All Replies

benjnz
Top 500 Contributor
78 Posts
Bronze Member

If you wanted almost modern with ML what about a BV10-46?

benjnz
Top 500 Contributor
78 Posts
Bronze Member

If you wanted almost modern with ML what about a BV10-46?

BAND'OH!
Top 150 Contributor
589 Posts
Bronze Member

I have just changed to an BV11-46 for my lounge Peter, and a V1-32 for the kitchen. I never owned a BV10 so can't comment on sound quality but the BV11 is more than sufficient for me and very good sounding to my ageing ears. I have owned a BV7-40 with the 7-2 speaker in the past and there's no doubt that the sound was superb.

Difficult choice as 2 very different looking sets. We both really loved the BV5 and since you have had a BV10 perhaps a change to a different design BV7 might be the way forward? The 7-55 (if you buy the Mk2) will offer incredible picture quality with the full array 512 zone backlighting and the sound will be equally brilliant. The BV11-55 is a later set but not necessarily better as I am sure the BV7-55 will have the relevant connections you need. As far as I see it, you can't lose whichever you decide. Happy hunting and all the best, Simon.

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,383 Posts
Bronze Member

These days, definitely OLED for a main TV - reference picture quality has moved on since Plasma days and bypassed LCD/LED completely (with possible exception of BV7-55 and that too has now had it's day, not to mention its vast bulk).

Ban boring signatures!

BAND'OH!
Top 150 Contributor
589 Posts
Bronze Member

Agreed Puncher but my hunch is that Peter is looking to stay with B&O but doesn't fancy an Eclipse; something I agree with him on!

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,383 Posts
Bronze Member

Only reason to buy legacy b&o tv now is as a stopgap to see what the promised soundbars bring in the way of b&o compatibility before then making the break to non-b&o tv.

Either this one or the next will have to be non-b&o, only question is can you live with the inconvienience while waiting for soundbar in order to have the best picture or will you make do picturewise for convienience sake until you can have both best picture and b&o connectivity.

Me, I'd switch now - BV7 design looks very dated now.

Ban boring signatures!

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,778 Posts
Founder
Peter replied on Thu, Aug 9 2018 9:03 PM

I am quite dated though!! I have an MCL wired house and don't really want to change but accept my 32" Avant is big with a small screen! The BV5 is fine. Eyesight pretty ropey these days so I don't need the new ultra HD. House is also a bit antique!!

Peter

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,383 Posts
Bronze Member

Peter:

I am quite dated though!! I have an MCL wired house and don't really want to change but accept my 32" Avant is big with a small screen! The BV5 is fine. Eyesight pretty ropey these days so I don't need the new ultra HD. House is also a bit antique!!

Get a magic lantern!Laughing

Ban boring signatures!

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
5,239 Posts
Gold Member

Peter:

If you are keeping the BV5 can that become the centre of the Masterlink system and just replace the Avant with a stand-alone TV, with or without external B&O speakers? BV11 would still be worth considering, again as a stand-alone solution.

Graham

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,134 Posts
Founder
Puncher:

Get a magic lantern!

Ban boring signatures!

Next you’ll be recommending a tin horn too. !

BeoNut since '75

beoaus
Top 500 Contributor
132 Posts
Founder
beoaus replied on Fri, Aug 10 2018 5:42 AM

If a 50" screen is ok then a BV9 may suit?

Good luck, Beoaus.

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
5,239 Posts
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Sat, Aug 11 2018 12:08 AM

I hope B&O read this thread.

From Peter's question and his previous enthusiasm and support for B&O, the writing is surely on the wall. B&O are no longer serious contenders for televisions. Maybe they already know it, and we will yet get the motorised sound bar with PUC control for other manufacturers TVs I've promoted here in the past in due course. Otherwise, it looks like top end speakers most cannot afford, and bottom end unreliable but overpriced products,

It's a really difficult choice between OLED and the Magic Lantern though.

Graham

Fidse
Top 500 Contributor
168 Posts
Bronze Member
Fidse replied on Sun, Aug 12 2018 10:12 AM
B&O not serious contenders for tv’s....

Get a grip guys. Show me just one tv that comes even close to the Eclipse in therms of picture AND sound, and no, i don’t think Loewe is close. Picture wise it’s the same yes, but on the audio side, remote and design (imo, i know) they’re miles behind.
poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
126 Posts
Bronze Member

Peter:

Planning to finally replace my faithful 32" Avant DVD - and will get a 55" flat screen - but which one? The Avant is attached to my BC2 DVD and the house system runs via ML to MCL.

I am thinking that the BV7 would be the simplest switch. I don't like the Eclipse and had a BV10 butI didn't like the sound quality. BV11 is possibly better but I will need an amplifier for the feed to upstairs.

Thoughts?And where would you source it from?

If it were me I would find the latest BeoSystem 3 I could get and buy whatever TV I like as long as it supports 1080p, HDMI, and RS232 control. Get the BS3 serviced and get the TV set up by a competent video tech who understands B&O and can build the PUC.  BS4 plus a converter is better technically, but they made an awful lot of BS3, comparatively. 

BS9000, Essence, BeoLit12, MX4200, BL3000, BV11-55

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL