rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Stereomensch
Top 500 Contributor
319 Posts
Bronze Member
Stereomensch posted on Fri, Aug 3 2018 10:43 AM

Hi there,

many users in this forum are using the pizza boxes (Beomaster 5000 - 7000) and the powerhorses Beomaster 6000 & 8000.

But I can't find much info about the Beocenters? I mean the beocenter 7700 or the 3300 are pretty impressive.

Is there any reason? Did they went out of fashion?

Thank you very much ffor your help.

Best regards

Chris

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,604 Posts
Bronze Member

Out of fashion’ is relative - it depends on your needs and preferences.

Of course the number of user is declining - plenty of new/newer possililities (from B&O) out there.

If you search the Archived Forum, you will see many threads about these centers.

I am sure, that - if you have a specific question - there will be someone in the main forum, who could have an answer to it.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
1,404 Posts
Bronze Member
BenSA replied on Fri, Aug 3 2018 12:42 PM

I had a Beocenter 7002 and although it was great it was just heavy and big. They do tend to look a lot more dated than the Beomasters of the same era. I didn't keep it for very long. 

Anders Jørgensen
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
350 Posts
Bronze Member

I was close a 9500 and it was bought and at service at Dillen but I got an offer I could not really refuse when I bought it. Beosystem 6500 in white all 4 units for service price! 

Weird as I had in my mind but complete 6500 already in black/chrome serviced and everything. But I did not go for color and then with 9500 it did turn up in white! 

I also had Beosund 9000 for a while. It was a mkIII version and pretty cool. Still if you only played cd's it would be awesome so it went to another buyer.

I think the main reason is that buyers loves their B&O and Beocenters but 15-20 odd years later it's most likely ready for service and by then no one is going to do it even if they try their local radio shop or B&O outlet. No sorry we do not have parts for that! Obsolete!

My 9500 was a good example to back that up. Then again having good personal experience the main thing is the lack of service and all B&O needs it at some point. My Beosystem 6000 was dead on arrivial home from the auction. The first 6500 had a Beomaster someone had tried to fix. Worst kind of unit to buy!

Beosystem 6500 white. Dillen did a write up in his repair thread here. Service after first owner.

Then the other reason being the way we now enjoy music and how it has shifted. That makes a lot of old B&O around doing nothing and most of it needing service.

A 3rd reason is if you going to be using Beovox passive speakers the older Beomasters are well suited for that and the prices of Beolab speakers has always had a higher cost. So a Beocenter would be worth less than the Beolabs and the hard thing in a sale. 

ProGram
Top 200 Contributor
59269 Beckum, Germany
378 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi,

I have a BC 7700 in my office and a 9500 in the living room with MCL in the kitchen and bathroom. I have no single item with Master-Link.

Regards 

Christof

remdk
Not Ranked
Fredensborg Denmark
22 Posts
Silver Member
remdk replied on Sun, Aug 12 2018 3:28 PM

I am still using a Beocenter 8500 with a pair of Beovox S 75. And I love it :-)

Best regards

René

trackbeo
Top 150 Contributor
640 Posts
Bronze Member
trackbeo replied on Mon, Aug 13 2018 12:23 AM

Sure:  In 1992, I purchased my BeoCenter 9500 because the capacitance detection touch panel was too cool, but B&O active speakers were outrageously costly for only mid-quality. (Think BeoLab 8000 Mk.I, or BeoLab 5000.  I couldn't afford Pentas...)  Therefore, no BeoSystem 2500 for me.  In its youth, the 9500 drove a pair of B&W DM14's I already owned, and subsequently -- and still now! -- a set of 3D Acoustics 3D6/10B, one of the first mainstream sub/satellite systems.  (Both released in 1981.)  I keep it around today, even though it spends most of its time in "Aux" taking input from a Mac Mini, because it still appeals to my fashion sense.  And occasionally I listen to Radio, or a classical CD that I could never stream nor find in any bolluxed library index.

If you saw my phalanx of broken 9000s and 9300s in the "Flash Your B&O" thread, I plan on doing some repairs to give nieces & nephews, along with KEF LS50's.  As in days of yore, these passive speakers are a bargain (regardless of whether you spend $1499, $1299, or $999 for them) vs. today's B&O active speakers, though the modern B&O speakers do sound much better, relatively speaking, than the 1990's ones.  Surely the youngsters would prefer a Naim Uniti Atom instead of a BeoCenter 9x00, and it would be almost as sleek -- and more in step with modern streaming -- but I'm not gonna spend $3000 and be wondering if 40 watts/channel is enough to do LS50s justice.

Another reason:  For example, the powered LS50W's look like too much stuff packed in, just waiting to break or obsolesce, so again I think the Atom or a BeoCenter (i.e. combining the source with the amplification) is a better choice than active loudspeakers.  This is despite their seductive concept of frequency-splitting to multiple amps inside the speaker, plus whatever DSP and microphones etc.  Corollary: almost all these BeoLab speakers break within a decade or two, whereas my DM14s and 3D6's just keep on chugging (of course decaying slowly just as the BeoLabs do in similar ways).  Q.E.D: BeoCenter.  Still need that amp.  AND it still works!!

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
2,581 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Mon, Aug 13 2018 7:19 AM

Yes!  Having bought my BC9500 from Lee in Aug 2007 for £500, four house moves later it's still going strong!

lawrencejmcook
Top 150 Contributor
720 Posts
Founder
Guy:

Yes! Having bought my BC9500 from Lee in Aug 2007 for £500, four house moves later it's still going strong!

Hi Guy, is that fabulous floor-standing globe a speaker?

Lawrence
Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
2,581 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Mon, Aug 13 2018 9:44 AM

lawrencejmcook:

Hi Guy, is that fabulous floor-standing globe a speaker?

Lawrence

Yes - I have a pair of Grundig Audiorama 8000.  They were bought new by a friend of my dad's in 1976!

lawrencejmcook
Top 150 Contributor
720 Posts
Founder
Too cool! Smile
Anders Jørgensen
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
350 Posts
Bronze Member

Very space ageCool And the 9500 looks beautiful!

h1npw
Top 75 Contributor
West Bridgford, Nottingham.
1,129 Posts
Founder
h1npw replied on Mon, Aug 13 2018 5:46 PM

My personal preference is for the 2300 because of it's looks & compactness. One in the office with Beolab 4000s and one in our main room with Beolab 9s. Connected to a Google Chromecast they do everything I need! 

Cheers

Nigel

h1npw
Top 75 Contributor
West Bridgford, Nottingham.
1,129 Posts
Founder
h1npw replied on Tue, Aug 14 2018 8:55 AM

Forgot to mention... and the fantastically low prices you can pick them up for!

Robert
Top 500 Contributor
Holland
204 Posts
Bronze Member
Robert replied on Tue, Aug 14 2018 9:15 AM

Stereomensch:

But I can't find much info about the Beocenters? I mean the beocenter 7700 or the 3300 are pretty impressive.

The 7700 productpage:

Here is a start with more info: https://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=407

And more: https://beocentral.com/beocenter7700

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL