rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 2 Followers

tyhomatthew
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
tyhomatthew Posted: Thu, Aug 2 2018 11:17 AM

Hi there! 

I am new to Beoworld and I am planning to upgrade my home. We have an old Bose Wave system and thought its time to have a nice upgrade. We love interior design a lot, and is wondering to get BL18 with BL19 or just the BL20. I wonder if anyone would have an experience on how the sound would be different? 

We love to hear the voice of singing, and we dont need huge bass. Some sort of round and all around sound range would be perfect.

Thanks a lot!

carlito
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 231
Bronze Member
carlito replied on Thu, Aug 2 2018 1:05 PM
I had to make the same decision when I decided to sell my Beolab 5. In terms of sound, the BL20 are the winners (with the BL19 the difference is not huge). In combining the speakers in a beautiful interior the BL 18/19 are the winners - timeless and very beautiful...

We will move to our new flat next week and I will post some pictures when the installation is done.

Cheers

Carlo

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
My wife likes opera and when we tested the 18s versus the 20s in the shop she preferred the 20s.

This surprised me !

I was pretty sure she’d go for the sound of the 18s Surprise

Aesthetically I think the 18s are the design winners.

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,218
Founder
PS we did not try the 18+19 combo in the store, and in any case my wife dislikes too much bass.

BeoNut since '75

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,502
Bronze Member
CB replied on Thu, Aug 2 2018 5:38 PM
Hi and welcome to Beoworld Smile

I had a BL11 years ago, and it was quite difficult to find a right place for it (because of bad resonance in the room).

It may be the same with the BL19...

Best option if you prefer the BL18+19, try it at home first, in the final place.
tyhomatthew
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member

Dear Carlo,

Thanks a lot for your pictures! I agree too the BL 18/19 are really artistically pleasant. I thought of if the 2 woofers in the 18s will be switched to mid-range specific speakers leaving the low frequency sounds to be only produced in the 19, the overall sound quality would be be comparable to the 20. Anyhow, I think when getting a B&O the exterior is as important as the sound. I will get my 18+19 then.

tyhomatthew

tyhomatthew
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member

It is quite difficult to convince myself with the difference in sound quality between the 18+19 and 20 now that I learned about the speakers of the 18 will turn into mid-range when connected to 19. However, the 20 might as well has a larger mid-range that might account for the better sound quality. In any case, I might go to the showroom one day to check it out!

marexy
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 661
Bronze Member
marexy replied on Tue, Aug 7 2018 11:09 AM

Hi

I think BL20 are so small  :(

Would go with BL18 + BL19.

And if you do not want to much bass you just turn of sub..i have done that way and it's perfect.

Curly
Not Ranked
FL, USA
Posts 66
Gold Member
Curly replied on Mon, Jul 20 2020 6:33 PM

I would like to revive this thread and ask if anyone has had recent experience in comparing sound between the BL18+19 and the BL20.

in November, I listened to each at the Boston store and actually preferred the 18+19 combo at that time, recalling that the highs sounded more crisp and pleasant to me. But I have been living with a 10” powered subwoofer in my family’s non-B&O 5.1 system and the bass is great.

For the price on the secondary market of about USD$7,000, a pair of BL20 seems like a steal over, say, B&W 803 D3 or 802 D3. But if I could get a great deal on a BL19 to add to my 18s, it would be much more cost effective.

Any new thoughts on BL18+19 versus BL20? Cheers!

Currently: BeoSound Core, BeoLab 17, BeoLab 18

Previously: BeoSound 1 non-GVA

jc
Not Ranked
Posts 74
Bronze Member
jc replied on Tue, Jul 21 2020 8:53 AM

Well, all I can tell you is that since I recently - and finally - got a Deezer HiFi subscription, while my BL20's are connected to my BS Core via TOSLINK, I keep getting amazed by the sound. Each and every note and instrument has soul and feeling in it, you can hear the instruments being feathered, tortured, all of it.

The only downside, regarding sound, is that you immediately notice bad recording studios...

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,503
Bronze Member
I suppose if you watched more movies perhaps the 18 + 19 are the better choice

That’s what i have

I do like the 20s too.

I asked the same question to my B&O shop. They said the 18 + 19 is better than 20s
Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,293
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Tue, Jul 21 2020 12:46 PM
Beolab 20 has a maximum bass sound of 104 dB each and Beolab 19 has a maximum bass sound of 98 dB alone.

Beolab 20 is therefore louder and it also had bigger speaker elements so it makes sense it is better. Beolab 19 can be somewhat more strategically placed for a more boomy bass though as it doesn’t have to sit in front.

My date has the 19/18 setup and loves it but he thinks the sound of my Beolab 20 is way better.

Beolab 50, Beolab 20, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9i, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Avant 55, BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Jaffrey2230
Top 200 Contributor
Washington DC
Posts 422
Silver Member

Based on my experience of hearing both systems - a very close friend has the BL18/19 and it looks and sounds great. But the BL20 sounds at another level. I'd personally go with BL20.

B&O products I use by zones in my home: 

Platform: Apple Home  (iOS/Mac, with Google Wi-fi (3x mesh), 100% streaming audio (Sirius XM, Apple Music, TuneIn Radio); TV/Office: Beolab 8002 (Red) + Beolab 2 [Sony OLED (65 inch), Apple TV 4K]; Living: Beoplay A9 (MK2), Bedroom: Beolab 6000 (Red) + Beolab 11 + Beosound Core w/ Essence Remote [LG UST Projector directly to wall (85 inch), Apple TV 4K]; Guest Rooms: Apple HomePod x 2  Dining: Beoplay M5 [previously Beosound Stage] ; Portable in-house: Beosound 1 with dock; Travel/bluetooth: Beoplay P6, BeoPlay H9 (3rd Gen) [H95 any day now!], Apple AirPod Pro. 

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,755
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Tue, Jul 21 2020 2:36 PM

Agree - I have 18s / 19, and am in the process of upgrading.

I'm most likely getting 50s.

When I was having a listening session at my dealer, he too made the point that while similar, the 20s would sound better for music.

For movies the 18s / 19 combination is excellent, and also very decent for music.

But for music the 20s would sound better.

Of course, there is not a big difference between the two choices, but my dealer echoed the view that 20s would be the choice, subject to the circumstances above.

Curly
Not Ranked
FL, USA
Posts 66
Gold Member
Curly replied on Tue, Jul 21 2020 9:50 PM

Helpful, everyone. Thanks.

My situation is that I already have the 18s, which I got an insanely good price on, and I could get a 19 for a fraction of retail. Meanwhile, getting 20s would be a much more expensive proposition AND, while subjective, it must be said, I think they’re kind of ugly. Nowhere near the 18s. No wood. Barely any aluminum. Just a bunch of black fuzzy cloth. Not my cup of tea but for a tremendous improvement in sound, maybe I’d get used to them.

Really what I want is 50s and a larger space in which to enjoy them. One day. For now, 18+19 for me. Thanks!

Fansastic
Top 150 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 528
Gold Member
Fansastic replied on Tue, Jul 21 2020 9:59 PM
Get 2 BL19’s to go with the 18’s and you are all good...

I have 18-19 combo and it is very good but I feel it is a bit of a struggle to get the sound balanced. All about room acoustics and despite bass sound direction is not that noticeable to human ears, I feel the bass is heavier from one side than the other. The BL20’s will sound more balanced i think.

Adding a second 19 may solve this issue but then again looks a bit odd. Design wise the bl18-19 combo is way better than bl20’s

I have them in brass, so nice imo. if bl20 came in brass I would reconsider..

BV Eclipse 55 Brass - BL 18 Brass - BL 19 Brass - BL 3 White - BS Moment - BS 2 Brass - BV Horizon 48 - BS3000 - BS 3200 - BS Essence - BL 4000 - V1 40 Black - V1 40 White - BLC NL/ML - H6 -  H4 - E8 Motion - A8 Earphone - Beolit 12 - Beolit 15 - Beoplay A1 Green - Beoplay A3 White

Curly
Not Ranked
FL, USA
Posts 66
Gold Member
Curly replied on Tue, Jul 21 2020 10:07 PM

Yes, the allure of having a simple 2.0 system (really a 2.2) consisting of two speakers that are each full range is what draws me to the BL20 despite its design shortcomings, in my opinion, relative to BL18.

I admire the 20s from a technical standpoint. A 10” driver in each tower! Amazing! I think few other manufacturers offer something similar. They exist but likely for much more money including outboard amplification (e.g., B&W 800 D3).

i just can’t get past the looks. To me, B&O is about aluminum and wood. The 20s basically have neither, just a bunch of cheap speaker cloth. In my eyes, the 20s and 50s are pure B&O design. A home run.

Sandy, please keep us posted on your 50s if you buy them!

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,293
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Tue, Jul 21 2020 10:09 PM
I think the BL20 are more subtle and discrete speakers. Specially considering their massive power and sound. BL18 and 19 is a bit more of a show off that is also beautiful but hardly very discrete. And the black fabric on the 20s are elegant as well. It takes a while to get used to perhaps.

Beolab 50, Beolab 20, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9i, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Avant 55, BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

jc
Not Ranked
Posts 74
Bronze Member
jc replied on Wed, Jul 22 2020 10:40 AM

I agree. And besides that, I really like the fact that those massive powered speakers seem to be balanced on the floor, instead of taking up a massive footprint. Just some of this old fashioned B&O design wizardry.

jc
Not Ranked
Posts 74
Bronze Member
jc replied on Wed, Jul 22 2020 10:45 AM

Curly:

i just can’t get past the looks. To me, B&O is about aluminum and wood. The 20s basically have neither, just a bunch of cheap speaker cloth.

That's funny! I grew up with a Beosystem 5000, which I guess was about the first B&O set completely getting rid of wood, and for me B&O has always been about aluminium and black cloth Smile. That's why for me, the standard BL6000's were a home run, my BL4000's are aluminium and black cloth and why, again for me, the BL20's are as B&O as it gets.

Curly
Not Ranked
FL, USA
Posts 66
Gold Member
Curly replied on Wed, Jul 22 2020 1:56 PM

That is funny! Well, they offer the wood and aluminum as well as the cloth on the Harmony! This is why! :)

I appreciate what Michael said on the toned down, no pun intended, aesthetics. Good point. To each their own! I’m sure they sound amazing. Looks are subjective.

Page 1 of 1 (21 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL