Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Why does the H8i headphones stop and start playing at internmittent intervals on a daily basis?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 1 Follower

borgy95
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Bronze Member
borgy95 posted on Tue, Jul 31 2018 12:52 PM

Hello,

I'll start by complimenting the headphones. I think they are great. Sounds is ace, battery is ace, they are super comfortable, Its pleasure to wear them everyday.

One feature that had really peaked my interest when i bought them was their abiity to determine automatically that they had been taken off.

However after 2-3months of daily use, I am reaching the conclusion that the device in incapbale of accurately determining if it is being worn. B&O I would like to provide you with some insight, I do hope this will be picked up and improved, at this point in time I classify this as a serious defect - it is breaking my user experience.

Devices tested - Iphone 6 and Nokia 6, appliction tested on audible 1 youtube both phones. Music player on nokia only.coinnected via bluetooth and cable.

In all cases, the headset stops at random intervals. It will often work perfectly fine for 40mins then just stop. then I press play and it stops after 5-10 secs and this pattern will repeat itself for the next 10 mins until im fedup turn them off and stop using them. This behaviour happens everyday on my way to work and on my way back from work.

Other odd behaviour, following the above symptoms if I arrive at home or the office and put the headphones down after they are on my head (not around my neck) they will start playing. I then press stop on my phone and they do but thn 2minutes later they start again. The headphones have not been touched or moved during this behaviour.

Patterns of resolution that lead me to believe it is the 'on head/off head' sensor that is at fault. After the intermittent stop/start playing begins to happen, i will sometimes take them off.  then 30secs later put them back and they will resume playing just fine with no problems for another good length of time. Yet as alawys the symptoms will probs repeat if I wear them for any significant length of time.

Other resolutions are sometimes just pull one ear piece away from my ear by an inch thgen let go. The headphones will then start playing. Or change how the headphones sit on my head and this can resolve the intermittment stop/start.

For now as this feature is broken I would like to turn it off, how can I do this. Do B&O know about the problem and are you working to resolve it?

All Replies

Jon
Top 500 Contributor
Hampshire, United Kingdom
241 Posts
Bronze Member
Jon replied on Tue, Jul 31 2018 2:21 PM

Do you put the headphones on your head and then switch them on? Not sure if it's the same for the H8i but I had similar problems with my H9i when they were first released but the firmware update + following the advice of switching them on, waiting for the light to go out, and then putting them on fixed it :) 

borgy95
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Bronze Member

So i've tried this method for the last few days and i sadly can't say i've noticed any consitent improvement.Thanks for the tip. Does anyone have any ideas, or able to confirml a similar experience?

B&O do you have anything to say? Ought I conclude that I have been sold a defective headset?

Henrik
Top 500 Contributor
Norway
165 Posts
Bronze Member
Henrik replied on Wed, Aug 8 2018 11:22 AM
Have had the same experience with my H9i. Turned off the proximity sensor, and thought for some days that it had helped, but it hadn’t. Returned them and got a new pair some months ago. Starting to experience the same thing now with the new pair, with or without proximity sensor.

I thought it was related to the touch controls. Too sensitive or something, so that the slightest wind would be interpreted as a tap. But if H8is are affected as well that cant’t be it, I suppose. They have physical buttons, right?

I use my H9i for hours every day. Most days I don’t notice anything, and I’m super happy with them. But when this first starts it keeps on until I just take them off and don’t use them more that day. That really takes away the joy. Happens maybe once a week, on average, which is of course completely unacceptable.

-h.
Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,814 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Wed, Aug 8 2018 11:53 AM

borgy95:

B&O do you have anything to say? Ought I conclude that I have been sold a defective headset?

Just so you know: this is an enthusiast forum that is not related to the B&O company.

I suggest you give your feedback directly to B&O . Either through a dealer or to B&O support.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2, Beoplay Earset

borgy95
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Bronze Member
borgy95 replied on Wed, Aug 15 2018 10:22 PM

Yo, actually this is happening to me nearly every time i use the headphones.  Basically ruins the listening experience.

The H8 is use buttons. So no issue with the touch sensor being too sensitive. Persoanlly I think the sensor that judges if they are off/on the ear is not programmed well.

I actually thought this is the official B&O wesbsie. I'll direct this issue towards their forum. If i find out anything useful i'll let you guys here know.

J

Howzit
Top 500 Contributor
94 Posts
Bronze Member
Howzit replied on Thu, Aug 16 2018 11:11 PM

Do these headphones come with a wired connection as an option? While I respect that people out there may very well appreciate the convenience of wireless headphones, its much like voice controlled lights to me... Your finger still works well enough to flick on, or off for that matter, a light switch, and its free, doesn't cost extra.

I was in a B&O shop, and i wanted to hear the wireless headphones, out of curiosity, and sure enough, it took 10min for them to get them to work... i actually just told them that i was expecting them not to work right off the bat anyway, and that i was really there to try the wired ones. As it turned out, the wired ones worked beautifully, the minute you hit play too. Mind you, all the other wireless speakers didnt really work on first try either... exactly to my expectation.

This is not a symptom of B&O. This is a bluetooth thing. Wi-Fi seems to work better... but please dont be frustrated about the headphones... they are doing exactly what I have come to learn bluetooth devices do... have connection issues.

Perhaps plugging in the wire might result in a more pleasant experience. And if they came with the headphones, its not costing any extra money. I know its not ideal, considering what you intended when you purchased them, but they are still great headphones that you can enjoy fully, albeit with a cord.

Beolab 9 | Beolab 8000 | Beolab 6000 | Beolab 2 | Beolab 3 | Beosound 9000 | Beoplay A9 | Beomaster 8000 | Beovox M75, / S75, / S45.2 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL