What is the best sound you have heard?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 23 Replies | 1 Follower

Bob Marley
Not Ranked
71 Posts
Bronze Member
Bob Marley posted on Mon, Jul 30 2018 12:50 PM

Today I got Beolab 8000's they sound rubbish but I am a hifi dealer so I have high standards. The bass is light and fake instruments dont produce bass like that. The midrange is near non existant. The treble was high and fizzy but again instruments dont sound like that. Its the sound that would work very good in getting people to buy it within 30 seconds of hearing them. 

Beolab 8000 are Beovision avant speakers with slightly better powerful amps.

My Beovox M75's sounded 10× better.

The best sound I have heard and owned so far was 1970's Pioneer SA-9500 II with Celestion Ditton 44 speakers. They sound better than Beolab 5.

Whats the best you heard?

All Replies

AdamS
Top 200 Contributor
343 Posts
Gold Member
AdamS replied on Mon, Jul 30 2018 1:10 PM

To answer your question:

- The best sound I heard as a one off was the ADAM Audio OSS loudspeakers at the Munich High End Hi-Fi Show around six or seven years ago.

- Since then, the best consistently stunning sound I have heard was in the last three weeks or so, in my own lounge, since Beolab 90s moved in. Smile

Now, a question of my own - are you related to user G7Trader as he also hates Beolab 5s and thinks the best system he has heard is a Pioneer SA9500II and Ditton 44s...

As to your Beolab 8000s, if they really do sound as you describe, then they need servicing or repairing. No, they don't have much bass but they have a lovely sweet midrange and treble and are very capable loudspeakers in their own way.

Anders Jørgensen
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
350 Posts
Bronze Member

First of all I am a musician and play guitar, drums and sing.

My ears have heard it and felt the experience of real rock blasting not hifi!

That is why I can be happy with Beovox S120 albeit serviced by Dillen in 2008 as they do produce sound accurately enough to a point where it's not about the audiophile nonsense but my own personal enjoyment. 

I have found many Beovox and a few Beolab speakers to do just that. Otherwise I would constantly be out there chasing the next best sound.

So I can't say what the best I've heard but B&O does the job for me still.

Bob Marley
Not Ranked
71 Posts
Bronze Member

I repair speakers. The Beolab 8000's all drivers work amp everything is fully working on point they just sound poor.

I use to love the Beolab 5 when I first heard it in 2005 but since I discovered 1970's vintage audio I realised everyone on other audiophile forums was right B&O is just about design....

You dont want to hear any 1970's hifi but 1970's high end hifi that would have cost £10,000+ just for an amp.

Everyone is saying Pioneer SX-1980 is the best amplifier ever made and Yamaha NS-1000 speakers. I need to hear these. I'm a hifi dealer will probably have them in next few months.

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
1,023 Posts
Bronze Member
Kiran replied on Mon, Jul 30 2018 2:17 PM
AdamS:

Now, a question of my own - are you related to user G7Trader as he also hates Beolab 5s and thinks the best system he has heard is a Pioneer SA9500II and Ditton 44s...

This person IS G7Trader.

He changed his name to Bob after speaking on my thread.

His comments are still there 👍🏻

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
1,415 Posts
Bronze Member

Beolab 5.

Beolab Penta III.

mczac
Not Ranked
49 Posts
Bronze Member
mczac replied on Mon, Jul 30 2018 4:57 PM

Topic starter, dude, if you hate/don’t like BO products or just want to vent off, you are in wrong place, we are here to appreciate all design and technical aspects of the legendary brand  

Let me give a very small advice: spreading negativism isn’t productive at all, follow the Beatles line:  

And, in the end

The love you take

is equal to the love you make.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
4,069 Posts
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Jul 30 2018 5:21 PM
I do love my B&O of course. I use my Beolab active speakers with my TV.

At home the best sound is produced by the full QUAD system: OTA ESL/33/303/TD160/VM740ML. Boy that sounds good. Smile

Then the Technics SU-A4/SE-A3/Cabasse Galion 4/ReVox B790/AT3200.

Any CD player will do, they all sound more or less correct.

At the moment it’s an Arcam Delta 70-2.

Jacques

Howzit
Top 500 Contributor
94 Posts
Bronze Member
Howzit replied on Mon, Jul 30 2018 5:38 PM
G7Trader, I’m a big vintage speaker fan. In fact, Iv (very opinionatedly) stayed away from speakers made beyond around 1980 or so.

I carried this idea that after the mid 1980s, the “hi-fi war” began to die, whereby the BIG speakers, BIG amps, BIG power, HIGH fidelity (get it, hi-fi) were no longer a priority, while space became more a priority, resulting in the “bookshelf” era, along with portable boom boxes. I thought the days of pursuing the best reproduction of music humanly possible had come to an end.

I recently however went through an episode of a Beovirus outbreak, along with listening to other brands actually. I also got into listening to electrostatic tweeters, and even electrostatic speakers.

I happened on some Beolab 9s which I acquired.

To be completely honest, I just wanted them because of the bargain I was getting, and just to say I own them. I have some beovox and other 70s speakers I told myself would CRUSH anything (other than maybe BL50 & BL90). B&O made after the late 80s.

I have a set of Beovox S45-2 which Iv settled with as my best speakers. Their smaller size, yet great reproduction, makes it score high on many factors.

I have to say, and I’m man enough to admit; I was wrong.

Those Beolab 9s are great.

It gets more interesting. I also happened to acquire some Beolab 8000s. (2 pairs actually. Yes, the virus had a kick.)

I say sir, you are completing wrong. The Beolab 8000s are the most impressive speakers I have ever heard (relatively speaking for their size and design) . There shouldn’t be that level of bass that comes out of those little cylinders. Now yes, it’s not a subwoofer, so I’m not going to sit here expecting subwoofer bass. It’s also not a 104 litre cabinet, with a 12 inch driver, so I’m not going to expect lose droning bass either.

Threads like this had really trained me to believe there is “thin bass” that plagued the BL8000, and that they are just designer pencils not worth considering as actual speakers. I assure you, I almost had a sort of complete dismissal of them actually, before I had even heard them. I love bass. So those BL8000s really rubbed me the wrong way, without even ever hearing them.

What’s even more interesting is that the Beosound CD player the speakers came with, had the bass compensation up to 3 or 4. I actually turned it down to zero, and boosted treble up a little to bring small metallic instruments up.

I am here as a 70s speaker fan, to be a character witness and testify that the Beolab 8000 is an EXCELLENT speaker. Like I said, it’s not a subwoofer, so I’m not going to expect 28Hz coming out of them.

Im also here to confess that I was wrong to dismiss them as nothing more than designer pencils with no sound credibility, and more so, no bass credibility.

Oh, and the BL9s and the whole acoustic lens.... well, common now. Without going electrostatic, that’s the best tweeter you’re going to get. And yes, the modern flagship speakers from B&O I reluctantly have to say, CRUSH anything 70s. I hate to say trust me.

I’m going to be getting a set of Beovox MS150s, so maybe I’ll change my mind Stick out tongueSmile

Beolab 9 | Beolab 8000 | Beolab 6000 | Beolab 2 | Beolab 3 | Beosound 9000 | Beoplay A9 | Beomaster 8000 | Beovox M75, / S75, / S45.2 

Bob Marley
Not Ranked
71 Posts
Bronze Member

Its not the bass is weak, I'm more of a midrange person I like to hear excessive detail in the midrange. A good strong midrange you can hear the musicians fingers pull the strings on a guitar you can hear the vibrations from the strings. You can hear a singers accent, their breathing, their emotions! You can hear none of this on Beolab 8000 speakers.

I had the beovox S45, S75 & M75 BL8000 is pound shop sound quality compared to them. Come back hear when you get your Beovox MS150 but dont connect them to a Beomaster connect them to a top 1970's Pioneer / Yamaha / Sansui / Technics the beomasters dont really bring the best out of them. A Beocenter 9500 / 9300 / 9000 will do.

Even the new Samsung R7 bluetooth speaker with acoustic lens sounds better than Beolab 8000 and is six times smaller, visit your local Samsung shop.

I need to know which 1970's stuff you have heard? They did produce some low end and mid end stuff too.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
1,862 Posts
Bronze Member

Kiran:
AdamS:

This person IS G7Trader.

He changed his name to Bob after speaking on my thread.

His comments are still there 👍🏻

After reading the original poster's comments on your thread, Kiran, I have ZERO respect for him and he has lost all credibility in my opinion. I love the sound of the BeoLab 8000 and I love your new BeoHome.

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
896 Posts
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Tue, Jul 31 2018 7:34 AM

I have  Beolab 8000, S45-2, M100-2, P45 and Beovox Penta. My personal favourites are M100-2 connected to BM4400, BG4002 and Playmaker with P45's for ambio sound. The sound is really full - I did have a valve amp and that was very good but i couldn't turn down the bass for Vinyl so went for a BM instead of the valve amp. The M100's are fantastic as are the S45-2's which with a Beolink Passive replaced a BL3500 in my kitchen. The Beolab 8000's are great speakers and in the sitting room where they look fantastic and are more than good enough for listening to music with friends.

Personally having tried non B&O products such as Linn and a foray into Valves, I prefer the sound of 1970's high end B&O. However I think there are many other factors such as the quality of the source, room and furnishings to consider - those have an impact too. 

Yet to hear Beolab 90's or BL5's and I'm sure they will knock the socks off anything I have.

Stereomensch
Top 500 Contributor
304 Posts
Bronze Member

B&O has made many fantastic speakers.

But for me, the best speakers I've heard are from Horst Friedrich from Hamburg. He has a one man custom shop and uses only very good

chassis. I have a two way speaker with an Audax HD13D34H and an Isophon midrange. Both were very expensive in those days.

Just keep in mind an Audax tweeter costs 150,--€. It is used in the famous Graham Audio BBCs LS5/8!

But these speakers are more expensive than B&O speakers, it is not a fair comparison.

Anyway, the difference between a very good Bang and Olufsen speaker and a fantastic custom speaker is not that big.

:)

Earle
Top 500 Contributor
223 Posts
Bronze Member
Earle replied on Tue, Jul 31 2018 4:45 PM

OK OK.... you all know this is all just an attempt to troll the threads, right?

I mean c'mon, Bob Marley, Bob, G7Trader, or whatever his name may be tomorrow, might as well have said Bose has a better product.

30 of his 60 odd posts came in the last 10 days, for cryin' out loud. (I know that's an exaggeration, but you know what I mean)

His post in Flash Your B&O is a picture of him (presumably) posing next to a BL90 in a store. Again, to quote Job Bluth... "C'Mon!"

Jon
Top 500 Contributor
Hampshire, United Kingdom
241 Posts
Bronze Member
Jon replied on Tue, Jul 31 2018 5:44 PM

The best sounding speakers I've ever heard were 1000% undoubtedly invariably the free ones Apple included with the iMac G4 (sorry, troll thread by a troll deserved a troll answer - the actual best I've heard is the Beolab 90)

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL