rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

jvezina
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 118
Gold Member
jvezina Posted: Fri, Jul 27 2018 5:12 PM

Good afternoon,

This is obviously not B&O related, but as many members see Loewe TVs as a suitable replacement for Beovisions, I found something that may be a deal breaker for some.

Apparently, the built-in surround decoder in Loewe TVs is very basic: it doesn't support Dolby True HD  nor DTS-HD. Multichannel PCM is also not even supported. Multichannel PCM has been supported by B&O TVs since the Beosystem 3 platform. That means that if somebody wants to build a full surround system around a Loewe TV, he may be disappointed.

The discussion about this can be found here:

https://www.loewe-friends.de/viewtopic.php?t=8177

Translated link:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.loewe-friends.de%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D8177&edit-text=

You can use Google translate to translate from German if the link doesn't work.

Also, the current HDMI ARC cannot transmit the latest audio codecs nor multichannel PCM. We will have to wait for HDMI 2.1 for that.

The discussion thread is dated 2017.If the Loewe surround decoder has been upgraded since that, please correct me.

Regards,

Jean

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,215
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Jul 28 2018 3:04 AM
Thank you !

BeoNut since '75

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
Posts 3,265
Bronze Member
Based upon my personal experience, I find the Loewe processing of vocals far better. Too many times on my 10/11/7-55 I had to wind up the volume to hear the speech, only to be then deafened by the subsequent action. I’m sure based upon what the original poster said I’m missing out on some audio functions, but if does pretty damn well for a system costing £8,000 less.

I can’t speak for the Eclipse of course.

Beovision Eclipse, Beolit 15, Beoplay A2, H6/H2, Form 2, Beoplay A3, Beovision 5-42 connected to a DVD1

svinaik
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 202
Bronze Member
svinaik replied on Sat, Jul 28 2018 10:26 AM

Chris Townsend:
Based upon my personal experience, I find the Loewe processing of vocals far better. Too many times on my 10/11/7-55 I had to wind up the volume to hear the speech, only to be then deafened by the subsequent action. I’m sure based upon what the original poster said I’m missing out on some audio functions, but if does pretty damn well for a system costing £8,000 less.

I can’t speak for the Eclipse of course.

I can also confirm that vocals on Loewe are far superior to other competition and I can safely keep a constant and low volume without loosing out on vocals. Regarding the multi channel surround, I am afraid that now I have a acronym fatigue. There was a time when I had to have 7.1 system running of Lexicon processors and mono amplifier but I am back to basics and have only 3 speaker system (BL 50 for right and left and Loewe TV as center in the main room and BL5 set up plus BV9 as center speaker in bedroom) for watching the movies and listen to music only in stereo mode and shut off the TV speaker. Just too much of non stop marketing creating a non stop need to upgrade. With sound, quality of speaker and cables matter a lot more than number of channels. BL5 and BL 50 made any other sound enhancement unnecessary.

Hope that helps,

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,354
Bronze Member
olvisab replied on Sat, Jul 28 2018 4:27 PM

people who have issue with vocals on a beosystem 3 based tv, didn't understood how to configure the level of their speakers.

that's amazing after several generation of beovision they still doesn't understand it.

level of center speaker on a 5.1 beosystem is not set directly, it is fixed by setting the level of front speaker lower or higher.

i owned several beovision 7 with beosystem 3 and never had any issue.

considering the fact a loewe tv isn't able to deal with multichannel pcm is just a shame actually.

beolab 5, beolab 9, beolab 3, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000, beolab 3500, IWS 2000, beovision 7 55 mk2,  beotime, beogram 7000 white mmc2, beosound ouverture, beosound essence, beomaster 900 RG de luxe and the collection continues...

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
Posts 3,265
Bronze Member
And nor did my dealer, or anyone on this board when I brought it up many times. The only advice I got was to lower the centre channels distance.

Beovision Eclipse, Beolit 15, Beoplay A2, H6/H2, Form 2, Beoplay A3, Beovision 5-42 connected to a DVD1

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 209
Bronze Member
poodleboy replied on Sat, Jul 28 2018 9:09 PM

From an ancient Danish Manuscript...

Calibrate the sound level
When you have connected speakers in a
surround sound setup to the system, you
must perform a speaker calibration.
A calibration sound is produced alternately in
each of the speakers you have connected in
your surround sound setup. Your task is to
adjust the sound level from all the connected
speakers to match the sound level from the
centre speaker. You can choose whether you
want the sound sequence to occur
automatically or manually.
Once you have performed your speaker
calibration, you will only need to re-calibrate
the speaker sound if you make changes to the
setup, for example, if you move one or more
of the speakers.
To calibrate the sound level …
> Press TV to switch on the system.
> Press Menu to bring up the TV SETUP menu
and press to highlight OPTIONS. (Beo4: Use
).
> Press the centre button to bring up the
OPTIONS menu and press to highlight
SOUND. (Beo4: Press GO and ).
> Press the centre button to bring up the SOUND
SETUP menu and press to highlight SPEAKER
LEVEL. (Beo4: Press GO and ).
> Press the centre button to bring up the
SPEAKER LEVEL menu. SEQUENCE is
highlighted. (Beo4: Press GO).
> Press or to choose between AUTOMATIC
and MANUAL. (Beo4: Press or ).
> Press or to adjust the speaker sound and
or to move to another speaker. (Beo4: Press
or and or ).
> When you have adjusted the sound for all the
speakers in your surround sound setup, press
the centre button to store or press and hold
BACK to leave the menu without storing.
(Beo4: Press GO or EXIT).

But wait, there's more...

"We expect your Bang & Olufsen retailer to deliver, install and set up your products. However, in this chapter, you can find out how to place and connect your system. It also gives you an overview of the socket panels."

So at the end of the day, everybody is either right or justified in his wrong-ness. All square. 

Somebody recently mentioned the characteristics of a luxury brand. I would say the above quote is lost on the B&O of today, and that aspect of luxury provided by few. Times just change and you obviously cannot teach an old dog new tricks. 

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,354
Bronze Member
olvisab replied on Sat, Jul 28 2018 9:36 PM

I had mentioned this solution at least one time.

It is a pitty Chris you suffered of this issue even on your last 7 55 mk2. 

I still enjoy mine everyday. its picture is still great and I am glad to see it is able to deal with hd audio.

beolab 5, beolab 9, beolab 3, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000, beolab 3500, IWS 2000, beovision 7 55 mk2,  beotime, beogram 7000 white mmc2, beosound ouverture, beosound essence, beomaster 900 RG de luxe and the collection continues...

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
Posts 1,264
Silver Member
BenSA replied on Mon, Jul 30 2018 9:05 AM

Very interesting, didn't know that at all. 

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,319
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Mon, Jul 30 2018 11:02 AM

It's evident that people hear what they want to hear.

Graham

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL