Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beocenter 9300 / 9500 vs. Beosound 9000

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
908 Posts
Bronze Member
Manbearpig posted on Wed, Jul 25 2018 10:33 AM

Dear members,

two all time design classics. Beocenter 9500 or 9300 and Beosound 9000. How would you compare them:

1) In terms of sound?

2) In terms of design?

Greetings,

Kai

All Replies

graemeben
Top 500 Contributor
132 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi. Sound wise probably nothing in it as all of them use Beolab speakers so it would depend which speakers. The 9300 and 9500 can also drive passive speakers, and some say the amp in the 9500 is better. Design preferences are purely subjective of course. I have a 9300 and love it’s look but I will agree the BS9000 is THE B&O design icon par none. 

Anders Jørgensen
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
350 Posts
Bronze Member

Sound would as always be pretty consistent between old B&O so that would not be the difference.

9500 came first and the 9300 was a little less version of that? Design nothing much for difference.

Beosound 9000?

A stylish B&O design that was unique for it's time and really stod out from the crowd. Sound not that different to the earlier Beocenters and Beosystems. Still at this time Beovox speakers were not as prominent than Beolab for B&O so amp in the speakers is where the sound is.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Jul 25 2018 5:17 PM

I have the BS9000, and it is indeed a stunning piece of art. I also think the BC9500/9300 are also stunning works of art, between the two Beocenters I'd probably go for the 9500, I believe it's better built than the later one. Some things to consider:

Which one, BS9000 or BC9XXX would be easier to repair and keep going through the years? I know the BS9000 laser pickup is an issue in finding new ones. Not sure about the BC9XXX

Do you ever want to use passive speakers where the BC9XXX amp would come into play?

Do you care about the CD changer? Are you likely to want to have a CD changer, or do you think you'll do what I do, hook a streaming device to the aux in on the BS9000 and only very rarely play CDs on it?

Style wise and ergonomics and such I don't think you can go wrong with any of these, to me they represent the high point of B&O design.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,991 Posts
Founder
Peter replied on Wed, Jul 25 2018 8:03 PM

I prefer the BC9500 to the BS9000.Why?

1. Ergonomically far superior - controls are all on the touch sensitive top - covered by electronic lids - that is not the mechanic lids that cover the CD and Tape but a clever control that just shows the relevant button areas.

2. It has a power amplifier and Powerlink - I can use my passive speakers - and the amplifier is a good one.

3. The tape machine is superb.

4. It works two way with the Beolink 7000.

I looked at the BS9000 - put off when I realised they had gone back to the lid covering buttons! Why?

Peter

pauljrog
Top 500 Contributor
92 Posts
Bronze Member

Bear in mind the BS9000 has a digital output which is useful for high end beolab like lab5's.

I prefer the BC9000, design classic.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Jul 25 2018 9:50 PM

Peter:

I looked at the BS9000 - put off when I realised they had gone back to the lid covering buttons! Why?

Probably because, with the exception of labeling a CD title, initial setup of radio station presets, and setting up timers, you can operate everything from the Beo4 remote.

Another thing though, with the Beocenters there's only one basic way to use/display them, on a shelf or cabinet, the BS9000 has vertical stand, vertical and horizontal wall brackets, flat on a shelf, on a shelf stand that tilts the unit up, either a little or a lot.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Kromer
Top 500 Contributor
Randers, Denmark
129 Posts
Bronze Member
Kromer replied on Wed, Jul 25 2018 10:06 PM

I think that most pros and cons have been covered, but I own both and the bs9000 is the one that's just in storage. Why? Not sure actually, I didn't think of them as rivals, but I think it's sort of down to what Peter said. They are both beautiful. The bs9000 seems to demand attention wherever I place it and is,  in my opinion, best at a distance. Whereas the bc9500 is more  down played, inviting me to come closer and touch it and explore, a great tactile experience, and I think that wins it for me.

graemeben
Top 500 Contributor
132 Posts
Bronze Member

I love the tactile glass controls of my 9300 but ironically the only time I ever touch it is to open the CD door. Everything else, including closing the CD door is done by The Beo4. If I could find a way of opening that by remote I would be happy. 

Bob Marley
Not Ranked
71 Posts
Bronze Member
Suggested by zika

Yes this is correct I can confirm with testing today the amp in Beocenter 9500 is better than the amps in Beolab 8000, alot more powerful fuller sounding.

But a Pioneer SA-9500 II amp is on a whole different level, clean pure sound and powerful as a nightclub amp!

It sells on ebay around £400 - £750 but very rare.

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
917 Posts
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Tue, Jul 31 2018 7:59 AM

I prefer the panels on the 9300 to the mirror finish on the 9500 and also the ones with the white band round them rather than black. However if I were to buy one I would go for the 9500 as I can use it with a turntable. 9300 like the BS900 and everything after didn't have a built in phono preamp - so you'd have to get an external one or a turntable with one built in. 

In the past I have had all three - the 9300 sounded better than the 9500 which sounded a bit dull and light, but was used in a large room with BL4000's. The 9300 is a smaller room with RL60's sounded excellent and then even better with BL8000's. The BS9000 with BL1 (The really tall speakers, not sure if I have the right model) in a large room sounded great at higher levels. I always suspected that the 9500 wasn't setup properly as the 9300 and 9000 I bought new and the 9500 second hand.

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
917 Posts
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Tue, Jul 31 2018 7:59 AM

I prefer the panels on the 9300 to the mirror finish on the 9500 and also the ones with the white band round them rather than black. However if I were to buy one I would go for the 9500 as I can use it with a turntable. 9300 like the BS900 and everything after didn't have a built in phono preamp - so you'd have to get an external one or a turntable with one built in. 

In the past I have had all three - the 9300 sounded better than the 9500 which sounded a bit dull and light, but was used in a large room with BL4000's. The 9300 is a smaller room with RL60's sounded excellent and then even better with BL8000's. The BS9000 with BL1 (The really tall speakers, not sure if I have the right model) in a large room sounded great at higher levels. I always suspected that the 9500 wasn't setup properly as the 9300 and 9000 I bought new and the 9500 second hand.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL