Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

B&O's answer to my H9i + Android problems is 'our products are only for Apple phones'

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Jon
Top 500 Contributor
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Posts 241
Bronze Member
Jon Posted: Fri, Jul 20 2018 10:55 AM

So I recently switched from iOS to Android and got a Galaxy S9+ and started having problems using the headphones with the Beoplay app (ended up uninstalling the app completely and re-pairing and they seem to be working OK now), but when I got in touch with B&O to ask if they had any idea what the problem was this was the reply I got: 

Dear Jon,

Thank you for your patience and we had reviewed your case with our developers specifically for your concerns. However, we are very sorry to inform you that our products are only tested and optimized for Apple phones.

In general, they should work with Android platforms but, due to the large android varieties in the market, Bang & Olufsen cannot test all of them and if it is working as it should be on your Ipad as you had confirmed, it would most like be a compatibility issue with your Android phone which there is little we can do.

If you could, could you please try to see if you can pair your Headphone with any iPhone so that we can isolate the issues? We do apologize for the inconveniences and look forwarding to hear from you soon, should you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind regards,

Sky

B&O PLAY Support

Visit us at: B&O PLAY, The Journal and Facebook

I get that the vast majority of Beoplay users are probably iOS users too, but if they can't even get the app to work properly with their highest end headphones on a phone made by the most popular Android OEM then why the hell do they advertising their devices as compatible with Android on their website? Neither the box nor their website makes any mention of 'these £449 headphones are only for iOS people lol'. How can they get away with charging £120 more than the average price of the competition, claiming they work with Android on the website and in the quick start guide in the box, and then essentially say 'actually, we were joking'. This is bloody ridiculous.

Jon
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 241
Bronze Member
Jon replied on Fri, Jul 20 2018 11:11 AM

Replied with the following (after typing it out, it all felt a bit too serious for me so added in that little "ew" after mentioning Bose Laughing 😂)

Hi Sky,

Thanks for your reply but you’re joking, right? Your website claims they’re compatible with Android phones, the quick start guide has an icon for the Google Play Store, and the box doesn’t say “these are only tested and optimised for iOS devices, sorry everyone else lol”.
How on earth can B&O get away with charging £449 for a pair of headphones that doesn’t even as advertised? I get that you’re a smaller company than say Sony or Bose (ew), but you’re not smaller than Bowers & Wilkins and their headphones + companion app work fine on Android and they charge £120 less than you for their ANC wireless headphones.
If your developers are too lazy to even test on Samsung devices since they’re the most popular Android OEM, why even bother mentioning Android compatibility?
This is ridiculous.

Jon.
moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 4,970
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Fri, Jul 20 2018 11:22 AM

Jon:

claiming they work with Android on the website and in the quick start guide in the box, and then essentially say 'actually, we were joking'. This is bloody ridiculous.

You forget all the issues B&O has had with their Android-based TVs? Doesn't come as too much of a surprise that their app has issues with Android-based phones.

But if you uninstalled the app and successfully repaired, is this the big issue you are projecting?

Jon
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 241
Bronze Member
Jon replied on Fri, Jul 20 2018 11:25 AM

Hah that's very true.

Possibly not, but wanting the app to work as advertised so I can change the sound and do firmware updates isn't much of an ask. 

Jon
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 241
Bronze Member
Jon replied on Fri, Jul 20 2018 11:27 AM

The other thing though is their response, if they said "we'll work on it" - that'd be fine. But "sorry we don't care about Android" is taking the piss.

Ulrike
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
Posts 142
Bronze Member
Ulrike replied on Fri, Jul 20 2018 11:35 AM

Looked for it, Beoplay Android app says the H9i are not supported by the app, sadly:

Jon
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 241
Bronze Member
Jon replied on Fri, Jul 20 2018 11:38 AM

Ulrike:

Looked for it, Beoplay Android app says the H9i are not supported by the app, sadly:

I think that description is just out of date - within the app itself when you go to add a device it lists all the new devices (including the new Earset). Based on the reviews though, the app doesn't even work with those the description lists half the time. 

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 4,970
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Fri, Jul 20 2018 6:10 PM

Jon:

The other thing though is their response, if they said "we'll work on it" - that'd be fine. But "sorry we don't care about Android" is taking the piss.

Yep, but it's far harder than you think. My developer won't touch Android or will, reluctantly. And will charge a lot more. iOS development is *so* much easier. And there's only one OS/phone hardware.

People think it's super-easy to develop for Android. It isn't. And all devices handle it differently.

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 591
Bronze Member
KMA replied on Fri, Jul 20 2018 6:31 PM

I think Google put it best – the root cause of various issues. (The image from their response to the EU for getting a 5bn fine for forcing Android OEMs to force Chrome on their customers.)

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

Jon
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 241
Bronze Member
Jon replied on Fri, Jul 20 2018 6:42 PM

Yeah of course, it's one of the reasons iOS tends to get apps first too. Their response is my main problem tbh, they could have easily said "we're really sorry you're having trouble, we will have a look into it and see what we can do" instead of essentially saying "we don't care, buy an iPhone". 

It's just frustrating. Suppose that's what I deseve for switching away from iOS though 😂

Ulrike
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
Posts 142
Bronze Member
Ulrike replied on Fri, Jul 20 2018 8:05 PM

Jon:

It's just frustrating. Suppose that's what I deseve for switching away from iOS though 😂

Jon, 

Cool 

never using the app for my B&W headphones - though it works Laughing

I have a Note 8, but those adjustments should work for your phone as well.

Go for settings, sound, adjustments - you can even adjust left and right channels separately - if you want.

Much more effective than any app.

Jon
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 241
Bronze Member
Jon replied on Fri, Jul 20 2018 8:54 PM

Thanks Ulrike! I did have a look at that when I first got the phone (did the test and got the following profile) so will actually try using it haha. 

Firmware updates work fine via the Beoplay Updater app for macOS + Windows for updates (and does updates in a matter of seconds rather than ~15 minutes because it's doing it over USB not Bluetooth) so I think I'll just stick with phone's own EQ if needed + Mac app for updates instead of using the Beoplay app until they either fix it or I go back to iOS.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL