Beogram 5500 record deck no sound!

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Bob Marley
Top 500 Contributor
71 Posts
Bronze Member
Bob Marley posted on Fri, Jul 20 2018 4:11 AM

I got a Beogram 5500 record deck with issues.

The arm does not move this is likely a carriage belt I will open and check.

The bigger problems are the Beogram 5500 is unresponsive to my Beolink 1000 remote which works on the Beocenter 9500 and all the other 5500's. It is also unresponsive to the master control panel.

Also there is no sound coming out of the Beomaster 5500 amp even when i put the arm on a record and lower the needle using the play button on record deck. I can hear sound when i put my ear next to the needle but nothing comes out of the speakers or amp. 

Does anyone know how to fix these issues?

One thing I must add nearly every audio B&O purchase of mine from ebay has been full of problems and headache! 

All Replies

Bob Marley
Top 500 Contributor
71 Posts
Bronze Member

Update:

I have connected the Beogram 5500 to the tape 2 /aux connector of the Beomaster 5500 instead of the phono connector now I am getting sound but it is very low it is only listenable at volume 50 or above.

I have two Beomaster 5500's and the results are the same on both meaning its not the amp that has faults but the record deck.

Does any one know why there is no sound when using phono connector but very low sound when using tape 2/aux connector?

Also to add the record deck is still unresponsive to the remotes Beolink 1000 or master control panel.

ProGram
Top 200 Contributor
59269 Beckum, Germany
294 Posts
Bronze Member
To control the deck remotely, the DIN plug must have 2 extra pins. They are screwable.

The problem with the sound is strange because there should be no sound even at tape2. (if you believe that 2 Beomaster cannot have the same fault)
Stereomensch
Top 500 Contributor
105 Posts
Bronze Member

One thing I must add nearly every audio B&O purchase of mine from ebay has been full of problems and headache!

Well, I know this feeling. :(

It's horrible, people just want to make money :(

Blackrix
Top 100 Contributor
938 Posts
Bronze Member

Very low sound from a BeoGram 5500 connected tot Tape2/AUX is normal. There is no RIAA amplifier in the BeoGram 5500, So you need to use the input on the BeoMaster with an RIAA amplifier, and that is the Phono input.

Blackrix
Top 100 Contributor
938 Posts
Bronze Member

Do you get sound from the radio in the BeoMaster 5500? Or is there Just a problem with the sound from the BeoGram?

Bob Marley
Top 500 Contributor
71 Posts
Bronze Member

Radio is fine. 

I brought the full 5500 system off ebay I never seen any listing on eBay of a 5500 system with RIAA amplifier.

Do I just order any RIAA amplifier off ebay or can you recommend one?

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,477 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Sat, Jul 21 2018 6:11 AM

It should work right away if you connect it to the Beomasters Phono socket.
The guide to the layout of the sockets can be confusing as it's shown as seen from above while standing in front of the Beomaster (not from behind).
Doublecheck that you are in fact connecting to the Phono input.

Martin

Bob Marley
Top 500 Contributor
71 Posts
Bronze Member

I am using correct phono by looking from front.

I have the Beogram 5500 connected to the Beomaster 5500 amplifier, do I need to purchase a RIAA amplifier?

Also how do I open the 7 din pin to check soldering?

Blackrix
Top 100 Contributor
938 Posts
Bronze Member

No, the RIAA pre-amplifier is in your BeoMaster 5500. A think you can try is disconnecting your BeoGram from your BeoMaster, select PHONO, put the BeoMaster on a low volume, and stick a small screwdriver or a needle into the contacts of the PHONO socket of your BeoMaster. You should hear a hum on 2 contacts. If this works, it is probably not the BeoMaster.

solderon29
Top 150 Contributor
U.K.West Midlands
510 Posts
Gold Member

As the previous poster suggested,you should be able to hear some noises when touching the phono socket connectors on the Beomaster.

There is indeed(or should be!) an RIAA preamplifier built into the BM5500,but it may be faulty.It has a dedicated internal supply.

Also it's common for the connections of the phono socket to become dry jointed with age and movement.

The sub board that carries the sockets connects to the main board via an edge connector.This too can be become broken.

It seems as though the Beogram is sending audio,as you can hear it faintly via the higher level input.

I think you will need to investigate inside the Beomaster.

Nick

Bob Marley
Top 500 Contributor
71 Posts
Bronze Member

UPDATE: 

I conneccted the Beogram 5500 to a Beocenter 9500 now it works sound is coming out!!

This means both the Beomaster 5500's I tried it on did not have RIAA pre amps?!!

The problem now is it only plays for 30 seconds tonearm lifts up and it then switches off...

Also the stylus is producing very distorted sound.

How do I fix the distorted stylus? And the stopping after 30 seconds?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL