Bang & Olufsen is phasing out its 'B&O Play' sub-brand

rated by 0 users
This post has 63 Replies | 0 Followers

johnnielse
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member
johnnielse Posted: Wed, Jul 18 2018 8:19 AM

Didn't see this mentioned anywhere on BeoWorld so I thought you guys may be interested.

B&O is phasing out the BeoPlay subbrand. Current and future products will be rebranded to Bang & Olufsen.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1531897371

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,699
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Wed, Jul 18 2018 8:34 AM
Yes, think this has been expected for a while now.

The salient point from the article (to me) was the decline in TV revenue, from 50% of 3bn to 26% of just over 3bn.

No surprise with respect to direction of travel, but still.

And rebranding the Play stuff is all very well - the recent releases have had poor or average reviews.
moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,024
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Wed, Jul 18 2018 10:17 AM

johnnielse:

Didn't see this mentioned anywhere on BeoWorld so I thought you guys may be interested

We've discussed it a few times - they are also bringing BeoPlay and B&O together and launching a brand new e-store next March.

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
Posts 647
Bronze Member

LOL@Paul's comment, the first comment of the article! I guess I am one of these "...old men" but I like you're take on it either way!

You are also a part of this forum Paul as many times you have harped on about your A1 since purchase and how much you love it. It's good to criticise constructively as there are many B&O products I too dislike for different reasons.

I think many of us would agree that the 90s were the golden era for Bang & Olufsen but I disagree that Tue alone knew the right way forward, or that the younger generation do. I don't think anybody really knows or can project as we are all so different in what floats our boat and live in a time of rapidly changing products and fashions compared to a generation or two ago. It's guesswork at best, but at the very least products should be fully up to date and rigorously tested before release.

Cheers,
Simon.

BV11-46, BV8-32, V1-32, BS2, P6, A1, E8

Mikipidia
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,323
Gold Member
Mikipidia replied on Wed, Jul 18 2018 1:04 PM
I was told with the new web store you’ll be able to order everything, even bl90’s online...

It’ll be “something” for dealers, that’s for sure

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube (finally Stick out tongue )

https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 578
Bronze Member

Hoping that in such case online prices will go down as there will be no more intermediate for B&O to whom they are paying sales rebates? Stick out tongue

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,125
Founder
9 LEE replied on Wed, Jul 18 2018 1:21 PM

Could this be the most inaccurate pitch ever, then?

LINK

Lee

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,024
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Wed, Jul 18 2018 2:59 PM

Mikipidia:
I was told with the new web store you’ll be able to order everything, even bl90’s online...

It’ll be “something” for dealers, that’s for sure

Well, as many dealers now employ external installation engineers, rather than install themselves, I can see the new B&O website simply offering an "install" feature, much like when you purchase software online - you are offered the option to purchase "installation support".

I'm pretty convinced B&O has realised opening franchised stores isn't the future. I'm sure they'll support existing franchises, but they clearly realise people don't like walking in to stuffy stores or, worse, there isn't one anywhere near their home.

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 667
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Wed, Jul 18 2018 3:19 PM

For anyone who remembers "Paul" and "Flappo" on this site, the comments on the flatpanelshd article are hilarious.  Leopards don't change their spots.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,753
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Jul 18 2018 3:21 PM

Looks like B&O is turning into DAK!

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 983
Bronze Member
StUrrock replied on Wed, Jul 18 2018 3:37 PM
AnalogPlanet:

Hoping that in such case online prices will go down as there will be no more intermediate for B&O to whom they are paying sales rebates?

Less competition tends to make prices go up.
poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 276
Bronze Member
poodleboy replied on Wed, Jul 18 2018 3:51 PM

9 LEE:

LINK

Lee

I think the accuracy is dependent upon what their passion might be...AT BANG & OLUFSEN, WE’RE LOOKING FOR PEOPLE WHO SHARE OUR PASSION. 

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,390
Silver Member
vikinger replied on Wed, Jul 18 2018 4:07 PM

Stan:

For anyone who remembers "Paul" and "Flappo" on this site, the comments on the flatpanelshd article are hilarious.  Leopards don't change their spots.

Just took a look. Hilarious! Paul going on about Youf .... I was disappointed though that he forgot to mention Pipe and Slippers.

Graham

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 276
Bronze Member
poodleboy replied on Wed, Jul 18 2018 4:24 PM

johnnielse:

Didn't see this mentioned anywhere on BeoWorld so I thought you guys may be interested.

B&O is phasing out the BeoPlay subbrand. Current and future products will be rebranded to Bang & Olufsen.

Today, Lenbrook runs BeoPlay distribution in North America. Wonder if they would get the entire line? It would probably also be easy to do it through a Amazon Store. On the other hand, Apple direct ships from China and you can get an iPhone in very few days. Anything is possible. 

Nice to know that Paul and Flappo are OK. Paul was always insightful when the 'roid rage wasn't kicking in. Flappo, on the other hand, is a scary dude. 

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,024
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Wed, Jul 18 2018 4:39 PM

poodleboy:

Nice to know that Paul and Flappo are OK. Paul was always insightful when the 'roid rage wasn't kicking in. Flappo, on the other hand, is a scary dude. 

To be fair, he does have a point about TrustPilot. wow: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.bang-olufsen.com

Looks like B&O stopped replying 6 months ago as most feedback was so negative.

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,390
Silver Member
vikinger replied on Wed, Jul 18 2018 4:57 PM

moxxey:

poodleboy:

To be fair, he does have a point about TrustPilot. wow: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.bang-olufsen.com

Most of the Trustpilot poor feedback seems to be about Play products.

Graham

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,390
Silver Member
vikinger replied on Wed, Jul 18 2018 5:09 PM

vikinger:

moxxey:

poodleboy:

Graham

Correction. After more reading..... the whole range??  And the occasional 5 star rating is just general... about how wonderful B&O are.... so maybe desperate plants by employees and dealers trying to lift the overall rating.

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 276
Bronze Member
poodleboy replied on Wed, Jul 18 2018 6:35 PM

vikinger:

vikinger:

moxxey:

poodleboy:

Graham

Correction. After more reading..... the whole range??  And the occasional 5 star rating is just general... about how wonderful B&O are.... so maybe desperate plants by employees and dealers trying to lift the overall rating.

Can't believe those trustpilot commenters are so negative. They need to share the corporate passion and open a store. 

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 983
Bronze Member
StUrrock replied on Wed, Jul 18 2018 7:04 PM

9 LEE:

LINK

Lee

This bit made me choke on my dinner!!!

Bang & Olufsen Brand Stores

Ideal for major cities and key retail destinations, the Bang & Olufsen Brand stores offer the full product portfolio. And with our new Sensory store concept, customers can immerse themselves in the full brand experience.

Initial investment: €225,000 to €375,000
Expected return: 3-5 years

GO on Lee, apply, just for a larf and let us know what the business plan is!!

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,753
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Jul 18 2018 7:34 PM

How many people out there have a desire to be a naked bee keeper? Stick out tongue

Jeff

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,699
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Wed, Jul 18 2018 8:08 PM
Given the carnage on the high street these days, you'd have to be very brave to open up anything other than a Cafe these days.

Hell, even Gaucho is going bust, according to the news today!

The estate agents are surely next - there are 14 of them of my high street unbelievably!

Jon
Top 500 Contributor
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Posts 241
Bronze Member
Jon replied on Wed, Jul 18 2018 8:19 PM

The two comments on that killed me. Both posted "8 hours ago", bet they're the same person 😂

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,650
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Wed, Jul 18 2018 8:21 PM

vikinger:

Stan:

Just took a look. Hilarious! Paul going on about Youf .... I was disappointed though that he forgot to mention Pipe and Slippers.

Graham

Wasn't  he irrationally against Chinese involvement with the brand? Interesting that he feels vindicated in his views now that not only the manufacturing but the engineering and a significant chunk of the ownership is Chinese!

Ban boring signatures!

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,024
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Wed, Jul 18 2018 8:52 PM

StUrrock:

Bang & Olufsen Brand Stores

Expected return: 3-5 years

Based on the current climate and the uncertainty over Brexit (for all of Europe), who would put that kind of cash in to a store with 'expected' returns of 3-5 years, not forgetting B&O has just announced a brand new e-store launching next March?

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 594
Bronze Member
KMA replied on Wed, Jul 18 2018 8:55 PM
Based on the TrustPilot reviews (and reviews on fb): is Play supposed to save or sink the Bang & Olufsen brand once the product lines merge?

Or will they do a 180 on customer service and quality of the Play products after branding them Bang & Olufsen?

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,994
Bronze Member
Rebranding Beoplay to Bang&Olufsen won’t make the problems disappear.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,024
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Wed, Jul 18 2018 9:13 PM

leogoeswild:

And those TrustPilot reviews *are* for Bang & Olufsen (the website) not just BeoPlay. So, if the e-store is part of www.bang-olufsen.com, those TrustPilot reviews are attached to that domain.

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,650
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Wed, Jul 18 2018 9:14 PM

leogoeswild:

There are no problems - people here keep telling me so.

Ban boring signatures!

w5bno123
Top 150 Contributor
London
Posts 578
Bronze Member
w5bno123 replied on Wed, Jul 18 2018 9:42 PM
9 LEE:

LINK

Lee

Unbelievable, who wrote this? This is misguiding by indicating a return on initial investment after only 2 years.
Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,753
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Jul 18 2018 11:03 PM

Puncher:

leogoeswild:

Hey, the stock price is up! Apparently product quality doesn't matter as long as the numbers look good.

It will be interesting to see just how long a "premium lifestyle company" can survive based on twitchy products, lack of product planning and integration, but ever changing color schemes. The thing about the "old" B&O is that they occasionally had weirdness, odd ergonomics that came to make sense after a while (mostly), the odd peculiarity in products that seemed to just be the Danish way, but by and large everything worked, and worked together, and lasted. Product life cycles were in decades not in months or a year or two.

Jeff

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
Posts 647
Bronze Member

Sandyb:
Given the carnage on the high street these days, you'd have to be very brave to open up anything other than a Cafe these days.

Hell, even Gaucho is going bust, according to the news today!

The estate agents are surely next - there are 14 of them of my high street unbelievably!

Completely agree Sandy and share your views entirely. Yes I do believe the estate agents will be next although those that have been (or are) quick enough to compete with the likes of Yopa, Purple Bricks and many others may still survive online, albeit with only a very small slice of the property cake. the high street mostly comprises of betting shops, charity shops, estate agents (for the time being) and restaurants/cafes. I can see the likes of Apple and John Lewis closing within the next few years too as I simply don't think the high street is sustainable anymore. Add to that high car parking costs, restricted parking with private operators who can't wait to get £100 off you for going a minute over 1.5 hours in their monitored spaces etc... there's nothing really encouraging about shopping outdoors these days.

BV11-46, BV8-32, V1-32, BS2, P6, A1, E8

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,699
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Wed, Jul 18 2018 11:39 PM
Rents will eventually fall, though that may take years. Then some businesses will return.

I joked a couple of years back to my colleagues that John Lewis wouldn’t be around in 10 years , when the company issued a long dated bond in the markets, that they all wanted to buy for their portfolios. They laughed at me, but I wouldn't be so confident if I'd invested.

Ultimately though high streets shopping is a poor experience - Apple stores may survive, its served them well, and some luxury brands will maintain a presence in high footfall tourist centres.

Otherwise high street space should be transformed into a better public space - I don’t see that as a bad thing if done thoughtfully.

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,390
Silver Member
vikinger replied on Thu, Jul 19 2018 8:42 AM

Jeff:

Puncher:

leogoeswild:

Hey, the stock price is up! Apparently product quality doesn't matter as long as the numbers look good.

It will be interesting to see just how long a "premium lifestyle company" can survive based on twitchy products, lack of product planning and integration, but ever changing color schemes. The thing about the "old" B&O is that they occasionally had weirdness, odd ergonomics that came to make sense after a while (mostly), the odd peculiarity in products that seemed to just be the Danish way, but by and large everything worked, and worked together, and lasted. Product life cycles were in decades not in months or a year or two.

I am afraid that reviews such as those on trustpilot show that the Play range has a lot of poor quality products. So this sort of thing will ultimately kill the 'Lower priced' B&O range. Then, who is going to invest in the good quality end of the range once the general public view B&O, in general, as rubbish?

B&O has, historically, always had the position that you were paying a lot extra for design and appearance. Now it would appear that for a lot of the range you are overpaying for poor quality with a short life.

Graham

PS. I've noticed that flatpanels have removed the third poster's comment that Paul should keep taking his meds.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,125
Bronze Member

Since the flatpanels.com site seems to be a couple of days behind the danish mother site, you may expect this news there tomorrow/later today:

https://www.flatpanels.dk/nyhed.php?subaction=showfull&id=1531827918

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,024
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Jul 19 2018 11:11 AM

Sandyb:

Ultimately though high streets shopping is a poor experience - Apple stores may survive, its served them well, and some luxury brands will maintain a presence in high footfall tourist centres.

The Apple stores will easily continue - just look at the footfall and revenue (see https://9to5mac.com/2017/07/29/apple-top-retailer-per-square-foot/). Also, they are revamping them, too.

Very negative thinking to say that the entre store experience will fail in a few years. Have you ever shopped in London on a Saturday or here in Bath on a Saturday afternoon? Town is rammed and they aren't all sitting in coffee shops.

Apple isn't regarded as a 'luxury' brand either. You see an average student doing work in a coffee shop and they nearly always have a MacBook Pro, an iPhone and decent headphones. Everyone appears to be able to "afford" a MacBook Pro!

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,483
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Thu, Jul 19 2018 11:13 AM
Millemissen:

Since the flatpanels.com site seems to be a couple of days behind the danish mother site, you may expect this news there tomorrow/later today:

https://www.flatpanels.dk/nyhed.php?subaction=showfull&id=1531827918

MM

Sad...

It’s a very nice design that clearly distinguishes from all the other brands.

But that’s probably a consequence of the “soundbar focus” that I think is coming.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,125
Bronze Member

Hiort:

But that’s probably a consequence of the “soundbar focus” that I think is coming.

And that again may be a result of a small company trying to focus on what they are best at.

After all there are - according to Jeff (read in another post) - only three guys left in Struer ;-)))

I’d say - let’s see what comes. Bang & Olufsen has surpriced people before.

MM

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,699
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Jul 19 2018 11:52 AM
Of course, I was politely defending Apple's continued likely high street presence.

I live in Central London, so we'll aware how busy it gets. Coffee shops and eateries will always be busy enough, though the recent travails does highlight the need to do it right.

As for non food retail, I think the direction of travel is clear. Online spend still has a lot further to grow, which will challenge the high street further.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,125
Bronze Member

Means in the future people are sitting in cafés or are travelling..........ordering stuff online.

MM

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,125
Founder
9 LEE replied on Thu, Jul 19 2018 12:52 PM

All I can say is, if B&O want to go primarily "online' as a retailer they need to sharply focus on the fact that people (whilst online, shopping for their products) can type a quick "Bang & Olufsen Reviews" into the searh bar, then click, then find out that the many products in the Play range can be unreliable, buggy and poorly made. They can then also read that when they have a problem, they're on their own.

The next search will be "Beats" which has double to quadruple the rating level B&O has, and that's where the money will go....

In response to MM's reply about being surprised, I hope so, Really. I do.

However, the last "turnaround" was in a market which wasn't changing at such a rapid pace. It's much easier to turn an oil tanker around in still waters than it is in a storm.

B&O keep constantly "missing the point" with existing 'legacy' customers, who matter little to them now - and focussing on the new, younger customer... and missing the point there, too. Younger buyers generally have NO brand loyalty whatsoever. They want what's cool, they want what gets great reviews, and they demand the very best for the smallest amount of money they can possibly pay.

Back to Play becoming just 'Bang & Olufsen' - I just see the B&O name being ridden like a mule, with the sticks to hit it getting bigger and bigger. Eventually the mule will fall over.

Try as I may, I just cannot see a bright and rosy future for the brand. The cards are in the air, for the whole industry, and I think it's a case of the last man standing will reap the rewards.

Lee

Page 1 of 2 (64 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL