rated by 0 users
This post has 31 Replies | 0 Followers

pablohoney78
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
pablohoney78 Posted: Thu, Jun 7 2018 7:36 PM

Hi all,

I bought my E8 earbuds on 23/5/2018 upgraded the firmware (after some difficulty) to version 5.6.0. 

I noticed soon after lip sync issues when watching Netflix and YouTube- it was out of sync and when the soundstage was increased to the max. the balance appeared off centre more to the left.

Anyone else experience this and what is your experience in returning these to B&O? Did they replace them and did the replacement fix the issue?

Thanks

Jon
Top 500 Contributor
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Posts 192
Gold Member
Jon replied on Thu, Jun 7 2018 10:26 PM
Hey!

Honestly, just get a refund and buy something else if you still can. I’ve had 3 pairs of E8s now (spread out across Oct 2017 and end of April this year) and every single pair has been faulty with basically the same problems you’ve just mentioned + a few others. They’re just not worth it at this stage :(

Jon.
pablohoney78
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member

It’s a real pity though isn’t it?! Did they not QA these before releasing them?!! I wish Bowers and Wilkins wouldn’t release a pair that are similar that actually work. I own a pair of their P7 Wireless and theyare great. Each time you returned them were they happy to send you a replacement? Did you buy them from B&O directly?

Jon
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 192
Gold Member
Jon replied on Fri, Jun 8 2018 9:30 AM
It really is - hoping the 2nd gen will be better (if they make some). You’d expect QC to be fantastic when they cost this much but apparently B&O have different ideas. I’ve heard pretty good things about the Sony ones if that’s any help? B&W ones would be quite interesting- I briefly had a pair of PXs but took them back because they were literally painful to wear because of how they construct the ear cups but in-ear would be a whole different thing so I’d definitely try them!

The first time I just took them back for a refund from my dealer about 2 days after buying then, and then bought the second pair from them a few months later (different colour that time on the off chance that helped), and then I sent them off under warranty and they sent a replacement about 3 weeks after I sent them off (the time it took didn’t really impress me st all). All of them developed volume balance issues and 2 had signal problems and random pauses in music. Really not happy.
leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 1,711
Bronze Member
Mine are sent in due to following issues:

-chargerbox and headphone discharges without use

-left plug discharged faster than right plug

-plugs would not turn down when placed in discharged chargerbox

-metallic sound in voices when using transparency mode

-metallic sound in voices during phone calls

Other than that, great headphones No - thumbs down

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 4,614
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Fri, Jun 8 2018 10:16 AM

pablohoney78:

It’s a real pity though isn’t it?! Did they not QA these before releasing them?!!

I have quite a few BeoPlay headphones - I think we "lazy idiots" just go out and buy B&O products thinking we're going to get Danish-inpisred top-of-the-range items which can't be bettered and can't be bothered to look around at alternatives - an each one has had some kind of issue. I rarely use them now. H5s, H8s, Earset etc.

Bought a Beats Solo3 a few months ago and it's absolutely flawless. Connects within seconds, never loses a connection, can walk around fairly far from my iPhone without it disconnecting and so on. Went back to my BeoPlay H8's and they are quieter, you can't walk more than a few metres, loses the connection and they don't even feel as comfortable as the Beats headphones when on your ears for a period of time (listening to music on a plane).

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 4,614
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Fri, Jun 8 2018 10:19 AM

BTW if you really want a top quality Scadinavia-developed in-ear earbud then look at the Earin M2: https://earin.com/

Or, of course, you can bury your head and just go out and buy "top quality" B&O products aimed at us middle-aged fools Big Smile

Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,009
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Jun 8 2018 2:55 PM
Yeah don't get the love for the B&O headphones

It's not as if the features are any different to other brands, and other brands have designs just as good really

They're all mini computers now so I'd expect issues with many brands

All in all no reason to confine oneself to B&O headphones

The Verge review I posted of the new earset was pretty ugly reading, and they have praised the H6's in the past, so there's no agenda
Jon
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 192
Gold Member
Jon replied on Fri, Jun 8 2018 3:22 PM
Yeah agreed - of all the Beoplay headphones I’ve owned, the 1st gen H6s are the only ones I’ve ever actually loved. The H9is are fine, as were the H9s (preferred both to the competition) but beyond that I’ve never felt the price of the products were ever justified (even if the design was beautiful).
pablohoney78
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member

Thanks for all the input guys. Mine have arrived back in Germany so we’ll see whatwjat thwy do to fix them if they can. I’ve read some horror stories about thwm just been returned saying nothing is wrong and others returned as they wanted you to clean them before they test them.

Chris Hassell
Top 150 Contributor
London
Posts 389
Bronze Member
I’m quite enjoying my E8s (in powder pink!) but I have had a couple of dropouts when my phone was in my pocket! I think the sound great though.

BeoVision Eclipse 55”, Beolab 18s, Beolab 19s, Beosound 1, Beoplay P2, H3, BeoRemote One IR, BeoRemote One BT, Beoplay S8, Beosound Essence MkII, BeoTime

Joshua
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Silver Member
Joshua replied on Tue, Jun 12 2018 12:16 PM

I am one of the older fools you refer to and other my A8 s which are good for me as I cannot stand things in my ears, I bought some Sennheiser HD 598's while I appreciate they are not the latest technology (wireless)  I have updated  the lead connection for a longer braided type, they are the most comfortable phones I haver owned.

Possibly there are  better phones out there, but I am very suited.with them and they are very compatible with my computer and My B&O equipment.

Joshua

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,282
Gold Member
tournedos replied on Wed, Jun 13 2018 1:05 AM

Joshua:

I am one of the older fools you refer to and other my A8 s which are good for me as I cannot stand things in my ears, I bought some Sennheiser HD 598's while I appreciate they are not the latest technology (wireless)  I have updated  the lead connection for a longer braided type, they are the most comfortable phones I haver owned.

Hear you - I needed a pair of headphones for my digital piano, and ended up with HD598’s simply because they were the closest thing of having nothing on your head (I hate wearing headphones). I like the looks, too.

--mika

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 1,711
Bronze Member
So they are being returned with the claim that there is no issues with them Indifferent

I think I will take this to a legal instance, I’m tired of shitty, not proper-functioning products from Beoplay.
Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,773
Founder
Peter replied on Sat, Jun 16 2018 5:58 PM

I use HD600s - wonderful phones and comfortable.

Peter

Chris Hassell
Top 150 Contributor
London
Posts 389
Bronze Member
Really not happy with my E8s. They drop out quite a bit and the sync with YouTube videos is atrocious. Have tweeted Beoplay to see what they say.

BeoVision Eclipse 55”, Beolab 18s, Beolab 19s, Beosound 1, Beoplay P2, H3, BeoRemote One IR, BeoRemote One BT, Beoplay S8, Beosound Essence MkII, BeoTime

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,383
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Fri, Jun 22 2018 6:40 PM

Very happy with my Sony mdr-1000xm2 I snapped up for £240 over Christmas.

They're In this month's Which magazine as a "best buy" - right next to the B&O H8i, listed as a "Don't buy",  slated for its poor sound quality and discomfort in use.

Ban boring signatures!

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 4,614
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Fri, Jun 22 2018 9:10 PM

Puncher:

In this month's which magazine as a "best buy" - right next to the H8i a "Don't buy",  slated for its sound quality and discomfort in use.

To be fair, I've never used my H8's since I bought a pair of Beats Solo3. They are lighter, easier on the ears, connect quicker, fold up in a smaller area and the battery lasts ages. Completely made out of plastic, but I'd take the pros over the cons.

Earle
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Bronze Member
Earle replied on Fri, Jun 22 2018 9:10 PM

Was seriously contemplating the E8's, but now I'm probably not going near them.

Leo,... I believe you mentioned that the E8's were simply a 'licensed' product? Do you know who it was licensed from? Reminds me of my Asus monitor with the Bang & Olufsen branding for the ICE amps inside... total disappointment (though it is nice to look at).

IMHO, I think B&O (and by extension BeoPlay) needs to start thinking about becoming a computer/software company just as much as they are an A/V company. It's quite obvious they are just not up to it.

Imagine a world where a company like Apple handled the hardware/software, and B&O handled the audio engineering!

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,383
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Fri, Jun 22 2018 9:26 PM

moxxey:

Puncher:

In this month's which magazine as a "best buy" - right next to the H8i a "Don't buy",  slated for its sound quality and discomfort in use.

To be fair, I've never used my H8's since I bought a pair of Beats Solo3. They are lighter, easier on the ears, connect quicker, fold up in a smaller area and the battery lasts ages. Completely made out of plastic, but I'd take the pros over the cons.

When I'm sat on a plane I wanted the noise cancelling to be as good as possible, the audio quality to be very good, have hassle free wireless connection and be able to wear them all the way to China without discomfort. If I want a design statement on my head at the same time I'll buy a hat!

Ban boring signatures!

Jon
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 192
Gold Member
Jon replied on Wed, Jun 27 2018 7:57 PM

moxxey:

Done the same now. I ended up getting a pair of Sony WH-1000XM2s today and with the exception of design, I think I prefer them to my H9is. The sound is basically the same if you tweak the equaliser, the ANC is so much better, they're more comfortable, and they have almost 40hrs of battery (still would have liked a user replaceable one like the H9is but oh well) and the best bit is no sharp s sounds with certain sound presets 😂. 

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 1,711
Bronze Member
Here you can see the issues I am experiencing. Support claims there are no issues. Super Angry

https://youtu.be/4E_Nsh7flkI

https://youtu.be/6OtIXCRVqJ0
Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,383
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Wed, Jun 27 2018 9:26 PM

Jon:

moxxey:

Done the same now. I ended up getting a pair of Sony WH-1000XM2s today and with the exception of design, I think I prefer them to my H9is. The sound is basically the same if you tweak the equaliser, the ANC is so much better, they're more comfortable, and they have almost 40hrs of battery (still would have liked a user replaceable one like the H9is but oh well) and the best bit is no sharp s sounds with certain sound presets 😂. 

Big SmileBig Smile - see above!

Ban boring signatures!

Jon
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 192
Gold Member
Jon replied on Wed, Jun 27 2018 9:48 PM

Puncher:

Sorry didn't see that! 100% agree with all of it. £240 is a damn good deal though! I got mine for £269 today after popping into John Lewis and finding that they have them on sale for £299 already, and then you can get an extra £30 off if you trade in an old pair of headphones (and I gave them a pair of Apple EarPods I got with an iPhone like 3 years ago Laughing)

Jon
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 192
Gold Member
Jon replied on Wed, Jun 27 2018 9:49 PM

leogoeswild:
Here you can see the issues I am experiencing. Support claims there are no issues. Super Angry

Surprised they haven't told you that they aren't faults, they're features in case you lose them and can't find them.

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,383
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Thu, Jun 28 2018 7:12 AM

Jon:

Puncher:

Sorry didn't see that! 100% agree with all of it. £240 is a damn good deal though! I got mine for £269 today after popping into John Lewis and finding that they have them on sale for £299 already, and then you can get an extra £30 off if you trade in an old pair of headphones (and I gave them a pair of Apple EarPods I got with an iPhone like 3 years ago Laughing)

Sony Centre in Scotland had them up at 299 on their eBay page and I tripped over a "20% off everything" eBay offer! I wasn't actually looking to buy them until I saw the offer - really pleased I did!

Ban boring signatures!

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 1,711
Bronze Member
I am surprised that Beoplay have not contacted me. I posted the videos to Instagram and @beoplay. I think the videoed quite clearly prove that there is an issue with them.
lawrencejmcook
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 152
Founder
leogoeswild:

Here you can see the issues I am experiencing. Support claims there are no issues.

Hi Leo,

That feedback (rather like a hearing aid) implies that the earphones aren’t switching off when you put them in the case. How annoying.

You mentioned in the YouTube text that the case is discharged. Does it do the same when the case is fully charged? Perhaps they only switch off if they sense voltage on the terminals.

Is there another way to turn them off before you put them in the case? Via the app, or a tap sequence on the right-hand earpiece?

Lawrence
leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 1,711
Bronze Member
It only happens when the case is discharged.

I know no other way to turn them of than to disable Bluetooth in my phone.

The Beoplay website states that you turn them of by placing them in the case.

I would at least expect some clarification from Beoplay, just not that they say it is nothing wrong with them.

Jon
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 192
Gold Member
Jon replied on Thu, Jun 28 2018 9:14 PM

leogoeswild:
It only happens when the case is discharged.

I know no other way to turn them of than to disable Bluetooth in my phone.

The Beoplay website states that you turn them of by placing them in the case.

I would at least expect some clarification from Beoplay, just not that they say it is nothing wrong with them.

Yeah that's ridiculous - it's beyond me how they can claim that noise is within spec (of all the faults on the 3 pairs I had, none of them did that). Can almost guarantee a company like Apple or retailer like Amazon would have replaced them already.

pablohoney78
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member

I recommend emailing the head of Beoplay and B&O to see what they say. Their email addresses are hcl@bang-olufsen.dk and jmr@bang-olufsen.dk

They are Henrik Clausen  (CEO B&O) and John Mollanger (CEO Beoplay).

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 4,614
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Aug 20 2018 10:11 AM

leogoeswild:

That is almost so bad it's funny.

Page 1 of 1 (32 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL