Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Airplay 2 available today...

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 61 Replies | 1 Follower

mbee
Top 50 Contributor
Paris, France
1,686 Posts
Bronze Member
mbee posted on Tue, May 29 2018 6:52 PM

but currently on Beosound Essence mkII and Beoplay A9, thé software version 1.17 is not Airplay 2 ready... I hope it will be there soon to ask Siri “play music I like in the kitchen and on the living room” to start playing music to my B&O devices!

All Replies

Michael
Not Ranked
Los Angeles
57 Posts
Bronze Member

Did you get info that Airplay 2 would be available today from B&O as a firmware update today?

mbee
Top 50 Contributor
Paris, France
1,686 Posts
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Tue, May 29 2018 7:22 PM

In September 2017 (or a bit later) after Apple announced that Airplay 2 would come, B&O announced that its Airplay devices will be compatible from day 1 with airplay 2.

it was the same with Libratone (I currently have a small Airplay device from them), and I can say that it’s also not compatible for the moment.

A9 and Essence got a 1.17 update earlier this month without release notes, I was confident that it was the famous “day one Airplay 2 update” but finally it was just wishful thinking!

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
1,360 Posts
Bronze Member
CB replied on Tue, May 29 2018 7:29 PM

iOS 11.4 arrives today and brings support to Airplay 2 (and stereo pairing to Apple Homepod)

mbee
Top 50 Contributor
Paris, France
1,686 Posts
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Tue, May 29 2018 7:48 PM

@CB : exactly, I updated my iPhones and iPad to iOS 11.4 to see that B&O products (and Libratone too) doesn’t show as Airplay 2 speakers!

kuyttendaele
Top 150 Contributor
455 Posts
Founder

Our friends in Struer probably need to wait untill our other friends in Cupertino give the Go command...

Karel.

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
1,360 Posts
Bronze Member
CB replied on Tue, May 29 2018 8:02 PM
Don’t know if this is Airplay 1 or 2...

VANTAGE
Not Ranked
66 Posts
Bronze Member
Suggested by VANTAGE

List of compatible speakers here: https://www.apple.com/ios/home/accessories/

Eclipse is there :-)

Beovision Eclipse 65 -  BL5 - BL3

McIntosh MC601 x 2 - McIntosh C50 - McIntosh D100 -  McIntosh MHP1000 - Focal Scala V2 Utopia - McIntosh McAire

Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
1,417 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Tue, May 29 2018 9:02 PM

Have you updated to iOS 11.4 today?

If you have, it is, but unless you have any Airplay 2 capable speakers, the new  features (volume slider for individual speakers for ex) won't show in the control screen you have attached.

For the record, i updated everything (iOS and tvOS on ATV4), tried to ask Siri to play something on Living Room (speakers) ie. the Apple TV.....didnt work.

So despite the new tvOS asking me to sign the ATV4 to a room, i chose "Living Room", and using the (updated) iPhone to trigger something on the Airplay 2 compliant ATV....the phone say it cant find a speaker of that name.

I cannot say that i am surprised - having updated both, i'll try a power cycle and see if the same request works.

Voice control eh...isnt it marvellous.

mbee
Top 50 Contributor
Paris, France
1,686 Posts
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Tue, May 29 2018 9:14 PM

@CB: an airplay 2 speaker should have a circle (to be able to select multiple speakers at the same time) so no, you’re just using Airplay.

@sandyb : I can ask Siri to play music in the living room from my iPad or iPhone, it then starts to stream music from my mobile device to the Apple TV. What I cannot do is to tell Siri to “play music from Apple TV in the living room” from a mobile device. I would be interested in that kind of command (I think it’s possible) to use the mobile devices as remotes only to save their batteries.

Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
1,417 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Tue, May 29 2018 10:25 PM

OK, got it working.

My Apple TV 4 wasn't showing in the Home app (signing in/out of iCloud, and the ATV asked me to hold my iPhone near, and then the Apple Tv suddenly appeared). 

So i asked Siri (iPhone) to play a podcast in Living Room (that Apple TV) - and that worked, which is good.

To your question - i think when you ask Siri (iPhone) to play something where there is a parallel ATV app, it uses that. In the case just described, my iPhone Podcast app shows the show playing on the "Living Room" by the speaker select icon. (When it is streaming from iPhone to Apple TV, it will say that by the speaker icon)   And then, having triggered that using Siri (iPhone) i can play something completely different on my iPhone. 

It would be nice if Siri could trigger non-native Apps to play - but that won't happen. It can't do it locally on an iPhone / iPad, so i don't see why it would work now with Airplay 2 speakers. So all of this voice control is geared around Apple's native services, which will work for some, not others.

And of course, we need our Bed-stuff updated - I've set my expectation low timing wise! If we get updates from B&O  in the next 2-3 weeks, i'd be very surprised.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,218 Posts
Founder
Sandyb:

My Apple TV 4 wasn't showing in the Home app (signing in/out of iCloud, and the ATV asked me to hold my iPhone near, and then the Apple Tv suddenly appeared). 

So i asked Siri (iPhone) to play a podcast in Living Room (that Apple TV) - and that worked, which is good.

To your question - i think when you ask Siri (iPhone) to play something where there is a parallel ATV app, it uses that. In the case just described, my iPhone Podcast app shows the show playing on the "Living Room" by the speaker select icon. (When it is streaming from iPhone to Apple TV, it will say that by the speaker icon)   And then, having triggered that using Siri (iPhone) i can play something completely different on my iPhone.

SandyB I am glad you got yours working.

I had upgraded my ATV first, and that process put up a cute pictogram of a double story house (ours is a bungalow) and asked me to nominate a room location from was already set up by me in HomeKit plus an alternative list. I selected Family Room ...

To repeat your test, when I used the ATV’s remote to say “hey Siri play some music on(in?) the family room” three things happened:

1. The already playing stream to the ATV and my AP2 upgraded HomePod (yes, multi-streaming from an iPhone (7+) to two (Apple) devices does work (contrary to various MacRumors/Ars Technical threads) but the iPhone music IS disconnected :(

2. The iPhone’s Siri said it could not find a speaker in “family.” Rather than “Family Room”

3. However the ATV’s Siri did start a personal radio station on the ATV (overriding the paused AP2 stream) and dropped the HomePod in the Guest Room !

So exciting times ! Lots of fun ahead ! And lots of learnings and I suspect tweakings (eg drop “ room” from the names of rooms).

I have used both the ATV and the iPhone to stream AP2 to my Core and my Eclipse (both on the hardware/firmware program) however it understandably drops AP2 and switches to AP :( and plays to only on the Core or only on the Eclipse. However I am confident when B&O release their upgrades it will all magically work.

My next post will be of screenshots from today’s tests ... now I better start packing my bags for San Jose !

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,218 Posts
Founder
Screenshots of my A2 tests to Apple & B&O kit ....

1st the details of the iOS upgrade:

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,218 Posts
Founder

Grrr I am forever hitting Post instead of Camera On Philippe’s BeoWorld iApp sorry ...

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,218 Posts
Founder
Screenshots of AirPlay2 tests ...

Multi-room from iPhone to ATV and to HomePod

Updated ATV interface ... look at top left corner !

Now trying Core / Essence Mark II

Changing volume on HomePod .... and separately the Essence II or Core too !

And now ATV Siri switching from personal radio station to “play some rock and roll ...”

BeoNut since '75

Page 1 of 5 (62 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL