Beocord 9000 - Play mode goes into Standby. Everything else works

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Rammie16
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Bronze Member
Rammie16 posted on Tue, May 15 2018 8:58 PM

Frustrating - working on a fully operational 9000 and decided to repair the slow fast forward using abrasive as per Martins instructions re the flying. Idler. All sorted now including very good fast forward but play mode wont work now - heads locks in and then lock out straight away into standby.

I cant get my head around around how play mode works and how it auto shuts off.

I wish I had left it alone now and put up with the slow FF

Help/suggestions please

All Replies

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
2,989 Posts
Gold Member

Check that you didn't accidentally bend something that is involved in the cassette loading.  I have seen that happen before and it has always been some mechanical alignment problem.  Check the little silver metal tab just to the side of the tape head. It must engage the cassette just right and is a piece that is very easy to get bent a little out of position when working on the cassette mechanicals. With power off manually engage the cassette and see if all the pieces are lining up correctly.

-sonavor

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,423 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, May 15 2018 9:27 PM

Check the brake on the right reel table.
When you put the drive together after servicing, this brake arm will easily end up on the outside of the flange, bent out of shape and
its felt pad comes off.
It should run on the inside of the flange with the felt pad as friction.
On the outside (or bent), it will block the take-up function and cause the deck to go into stop mode a second or so after activating play.

And an update to my "old" advice regarding grinding down the idler rubber would be to replace them altogether.
I can supply them as a set with all four.
You can see them on the Beoparts website - or simply contact me. 

Martin

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
2,989 Posts
Gold Member

Dillen:

Check the brake on the right reel table.
When you put the drive together after servicing, this brake arm will easily end up on the outside of the flange, bent out of shape and
its felt pad comes off.
It should run on the inside of the flange with the felt pad as friction.
On the outside (or bent), it will block the take-up function and cause the deck to go into stop mode a second or so after activating play.

And an update to my "old" advice regarding grinding down the idler rubber would be to replace them altogether.
I can supply them as a set with all four.
You can see them on the Beoparts website - or simply contact me. 

Martin

Ah yes, I have seen (done) that too. That little brake part is easy to miss as well. The little cassette guide clip I mentioned also bit me once.

I was also going to comment earlier that if someone goes to all the trouble of taking the cassette assembly apart to sand the wheels that they might as well get brand new wheels from Martin so they don't have to go through this again. But doing it more than once is also good practice :-).

-sonavor

Mike
Not Ranked
NE Ohio USA
10 Posts
Bronze Member
Mike replied on Wed, May 16 2018 12:00 AM

Look at the red circle in the pic, I had the same symptoms after replacing the tires in my 9000. The tab bent, I had to straighten it out and make sure it went inside the wheel when putting it back together. 

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,423 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, May 16 2018 7:48 AM

Exactly!

There are two felt brakes on the left reel table and this one on the right.
The left ones are not overlooked, because you cannot put the deck back together without moving them into position.
The right one is different, with no attention it ends up on the outside of the reel table flange and first time PLAY is pressed it is bent and blocks the reel.

Martin

Rammie16
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Bronze Member
Rammie16 replied on Tue, May 22 2018 11:00 AM

Many thanks Martin, Sonavor and Mike.

I haven't had chance to check it out yet but what you have suggested (incorrectly positioned/bent brake arm on the right hand reel) sounds highly plausible. Relieved to know I'm not the first person to do it!

I've ordered the idler rubbers set (great value by the way) and will have another go.

I've got another 7 decks from the 6000/8000 series to repair so I will no doubt be back with other queries!

Thanks once again gentlemen.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL