Some questions on Beolab 5

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 25 Replies | 2 Followers

Haubjes
Not Ranked
35 Posts
Bronze Member
Haubjes posted on Sun, May 6 2018 9:20 PM

After having done a lot of reading on these speakers and listening to them on two occasions, I have a few remaining questions that I would like to get out of the way before committing to buying a set.

The questions are:

Where is the IR receiver located, and how sensitive are they? Background of the question is I want to use a Logitech Harmony remote (found out this should work), and place a blaster under a floating cabinet which will beam into the room (though not directly onto both speakers). I anticipate to get a somewhat more recent set that has the sync ports.

When a demoed a set, they were hooked to a streamer using a digital cable. The volume was controlled via a Beo4. When changing the volume, only 1 speaker's LED flashed (the master), indicating a volume change, though it appeared both speakers actually changed volume. I don't think there was a sync cable connected. Is this normal?

Do people experience image/sound sync issues using a setup like: LG Oled TV (playing playstation and hd tv being external sources to the tv and internal sources like netflix), optically hooked up to a streamer (aim to use a Bluesound Node 2), which is subsequently digitally hooked to the Beolabs. This is a pure stereo setup and I have read most sync issues arise when there is some surround processing going on. 

What cables were originally supplied with a new pair of Beolab 5s? I have located a set that has original packaging, would like to receive everything that should go with it.

I have read some posts on PIN codes being applicable to these speakers. What should I know about this? Should these be supplied with the speakers and when should I need them? I have no need to apply some sort of extra security measures on them. 

Can I get these properly setup without a Beo4 at all, only using a Logitech Harmony?

I think that's it. Looking forward to your input and thanks in advance!

All Replies

Dante
Top 500 Contributor
Sao Paulo - Brazil
138 Posts
Silver Member
Dante replied on Sun, May 20 2018 10:41 PM

Regarding the heatsink grill, yes, it looks bad. I've seen that happening before due to the use of acid cleaning products. The only way to amend that is painting the piece again...

Where will your place your speaker? If the back part is going to face a wall, then that's not a problem...

Haubjes
Not Ranked
35 Posts
Bronze Member
Haubjes replied on Sun, May 20 2018 10:44 PM

I will put them quite close to a back wall, and one of them more or less in a corner. So wont be viaible really.  

Its odd nonetheless. I still dont quite get why, if this was a chassis swap, was an older unit (wth older type plugs) lut in, in muxh poorer condition?

i can jnderstand b&o work wirh a part exchange basis, but would they really put a unit in that ia older and looked poorer?

Dante
Top 500 Contributor
Sao Paulo - Brazil
138 Posts
Silver Member
Dante replied on Sun, May 20 2018 10:49 PM

beophase
Not Ranked
52 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Putzgrilous, is this the original B&O sync cable? Looks pretty thick.

I need more Beolabs!

Haubjes
Not Ranked
35 Posts
Bronze Member

Putzgrilous, thanks for all you input and photos. Your speaker appears to be the same as my 'green' one in terms of the microphone cabling.

I acquired a Beo4 and got the speakers working. They sound great!

I've noted that, while both speakers respond to volume changes, only the speaker with the 'proper' power supply blinks green on volume change. The 'wrong' speaker does shine green when turned on, shines red when off, though does not blink on volume change. It does react to the Beo4 and changes volume accordingly.

Could this be linked to the main chassis apparently being swapped? have anybody seen this happen before?

Thanks again!

Mike
Not Ranked
Austria
31 Posts
Bronze Member
Mike replied on Tue, May 22 2018 5:58 AM

i think thats not a normal behaviour.

mine are blinking both (perfectly in sync), when i change the volume...

regards

Haubjes
Not Ranked
35 Posts
Bronze Member
Haubjes replied on Tue, May 22 2018 10:44 PM

Thanks Mike, I will take that up with the seller and see where this goes.

Did anybody ever had a main chassis swap done, and receive back a chassis in less good condition and/or of a different type of connection plug (i.e. small instead of large plug or vice versa)?

Dante
Top 500 Contributor
Sao Paulo - Brazil
138 Posts
Silver Member
Dante replied on Tue, May 22 2018 11:19 PM

If you have now an "old" main chassi, then probably you have speakers running different firmware versions. The newer one blinks the led on volume changes, the old one doesn't. (?)

When you turn the speaker off, do they keep the red led ON permanently or do they turn the red led OFF after a few seconds?

oli
Not Ranked
Southeast of France
63 Posts
Bronze Member
oli replied on Wed, May 23 2018 12:12 PM

Mike:

i think thats not a normal behaviour.

mine are blinking both (perfectly in sync), when i change the volume...

regards

Putzgrilous:

If you have now an "old" main chassi, then probably you have speakers running different firmware versions. The newer one blinks the led on volume changes, the old one doesn't. (?)

When you turn the speaker off, do they keep the red led ON permanently or do they turn the red led OFF after a few seconds?

it depends if both BL are receiving the IR signal. Sometimes only one is receiving the signal and then blincking, the other one remains fixed, and the sync cable is synchroniziging the level, sometimes it is the other one, sometimes both (If the level is send through Powerlink, there is no blinking at all)

Mine keeps the red led ON permanently (Final Edition release from last year)
Dante
Top 500 Contributor
Sao Paulo - Brazil
138 Posts
Silver Member
Dante replied on Wed, May 23 2018 11:21 PM

Well, I've a sync cable. When I change the volume in one speaker, the other blinks.

Besides, when I turn my BL off, the red led goes off after some seconds.

I'm running the firmware 3.30...

If I'm not mistaken, this behaviour (turn the red led off) was set in the latest firmware to fulfill european power saving requirements.

Haubjes
Not Ranked
35 Posts
Bronze Member

Putzgrilous:

Is the firmware linked to the chassis?

The serial plates state they are running software 3.20.

If turned off, I think both stay red indefintely. 

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL