rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Mavven
Not Ranked
15 Posts
Bronze Member
Mavven posted on Thu, May 3 2018 6:22 PM

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and are considering to upgrade my sound system to 5.1:)

Today I have a 2.1 system (Beolab 18 + 19) with transmitter 1 connected to my 75 inch Samsung TV.

I'm planning to purchase 2x Beolab 17 as rearside speakers and connect them with transmitter 1. Is it an good option or too overkill?

Do I need an centre speaker or is 4.1 enough with this setup? If no, what centre speaker is recommended with such a setup?

In addition I'm looking to buy an Marantz SR5012, 6012 or 7012. Any recommendations? 

Also I'm wondering how to place the speakers in my apartment, see picture. Right now I have the sofa 3,8 meters (12,5 feet from the television) from the speakers. Feedback?

BR Micke

All Replies

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
2,206 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Thu, May 3 2018 7:19 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I will answer one if your questions ..,, definitely add the BL17s, that will sound superb!
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,209 Posts
Bronze Member

Speaking of a ‘5.1 system’, you definitely need a 5.1 preamp or receiver with pre-out connections.

Important is the ARC function (of the HDMI for connecting the tv)

Yes - as Duels noted - the 17’s will be fine. Surround/rear channels are never overkill, if you want to enjoy the sound of movies.

A center apeaker is IMO an essential part of any video system - so yes, you need one.

Dependent on the placement options you could go for a BL7-2 - or even a single BL4000 (or BL17).

Or you could choose to have a decent passive speaker driven from the amp of eg the Marantz.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
1,019 Posts
Gold Member

I envisage the same, the 17 would do the job I’m 200% sure.

Question: how is your Samsung connected to the TR1?

I have a frame TV and One Connect whose SPDIF connectivity does not offer volume control, I cannot connect it to the TR1 (I’m connecting my ISP player box instead and TV is used as a monitor)

BS Moment, BS Core, BS Ouverture, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

Mavven
Not Ranked
15 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks Duels and Millemissen.

What is the advantages to connect the preamp/reciever with HDMI with ARC function compared to optical cable?

BR Micke

Mavven
Not Ranked
15 Posts
Bronze Member

Today with 2.1 I'm using an optical cable. 

I have no volume control at the moment except through the 4k media computer I use for 4k streaming. I assume the pre amp or reciever will fix that problem?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,209 Posts
Bronze Member

Mavven:

Thanks Duels and Millemissen.

What is the advantages to connect the preamp/reciever with HDMI with ARC function compared to optical cable?

BR Micke

This should explain it:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/hdmi-arc-explained-works-care/

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Rob - Danish AV
Top 200 Contributor
Melbourne
345 Posts
Gold Member

Im located Australia, bit I do have a single BL17 I would like to move on. 

If you need, let me know

Mavven
Not Ranked
15 Posts
Bronze Member

Rob.B:

Im located Australia, bit I do have a single BL17 I would like to move on. 

If you need, let me know

I'm situated in Sweden, the transportation costs, custom and taxes are not worth it for both parties, especially since Denmark is very close and within EU borders. 

Thanks for the proposal though.

Michael
Not Ranked
Los Angeles
57 Posts
Bronze Member

I have a similar set up in my home. I have a Sony LED 65" flanked by a pair of BL18s, BL19 subwoofer. For center channel, I chose a BL3. It's perfect considering the size and pairs nicely with the BL18s since it has an acoustic lens. For rears, the BL17s would be an awesome choice. I use a Sony ES Receiver for decoding all the audio codecs. The pre out center goes to the BL3 and I have a very nice pair of BeoVox 12-2s (passive) for rear channels, fed and powered by the Sony ES. In all it works well for me until such time that I can get an Eclipse and lose the center channel. When that happens, I'll probably lose the BeoVox rears and Sony ES and go with either another pair of BL18s or 17s... all via WISA. 

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,218 Posts
Founder
Millemissen:

This should explain it:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/hdmi-arc-explained-works-care/

MM

Thanks for the link

I had not heard of eARC

BeoNut since '75

Mavven
Not Ranked
15 Posts
Bronze Member
Mavven replied on Sat, May 5 2018 12:22 PM

Michael:

I have a similar set up in my home. I have a Sony LED 65" flanked by a pair of BL18s, BL19 subwoofer. For center channel, I chose a BL3. It's perfect considering the size and pairs nicely with the BL18s since it has an acoustic lens. For rears, the BL17s would be an awesome choice. I use a Sony ES Receiver for decoding all the audio codecs. The pre out center goes to the BL3 and I have a very nice pair of BeoVox 12-2s (passive) for rear channels, fed and powered by the Sony ES. In all it works well for me until such time that I can get an Eclipse and lose the center channel. When that happens, I'll probably lose the BeoVox rears and Sony ES and go with either another pair of BL18s or 17s... all via WISA. 

Nice, I've been searching around a bit after a BL7.2 or BL7.4 (found a very nice price on one BL7.4) to use as a center. I'm not hundred satisfied with the size of the BL7.4 since I will have to find another media furniture or cut my current one in two.

Do you or anyone else know which is the "best" BO center speaker for 

BL19: Sub

BL18: front

BL17: Rear 

setup?

Is the BL3 better than BL7.4 as center?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL