Joseph
Not Ranked
Ireland
5 Posts
Gold Member
Joseph posted on Tue, May 1 2018 11:22 PM

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE

Dear Beoworld,

I am a new member and admirer of Bang & Olufsen even though their systems can be problematic in my experience. In a moment of madness I recently bought a non-working Beogram 5500 system on ebay. I hope the forum can advise me on the following questions:

Where can I buy belt kits [in the UK preferred] for a Beogram 5500 vinyl player [serial 3532279] and Beocord 5500 cassette unit [serial number 05206903] ?

Where can I buy mini tension spring units for a Beogram vinyl player ?

Can I connect the Beomaster  5500 amplifier [serial 3068032] to  standard non B&O speakers . The standard speakers I have are rated impedance 8 ohms and input 35 Watts RMS ?

I have a Marantz amplifier can I connect my Beogram 5500 vinyl deck to this amplifier directly and where can I buy the cables needed to do this ?

Apologies for all these questions, which probably have been answered many times in the past. I live in Ireland where B&O support is not freely available.

Thanking any members in advance for any support.

Best Wishes

Joseph

All Replies

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
13,047 Posts
Founder

I know of nowhere in the UK, where you can buy correct belts for Beogram 5500.
As far as I know, I am the only one in the world producing correct belts.
The UK is still part of the world, so I can easily send to you.

Mini tension spring units for a Beogram... What's that?

You can connect your speakers to the Beomaster 5500. The Beomaster 5500 has a bit more power than your speakers can handle, but
as long as you keep the volume at a level where there is no distortion, it'll be fine.

I am not familiar with Marantz, and it would be easier to advice if you'd let us know the model.
But why not use the Beogram with the Beomaster?

Martin

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,991 Posts
Founder
Peter replied on Wed, May 2 2018 7:47 PM

Do you mean the suspension springs? If they are a bit bent, you can bend them up a bit! Smile Martin (Dillen above) is the Beogram guru of Beoworld (and will also supply capacitor kits for just about all B&O equipment!) and is obviously highly recommended. You will find many belts advertised elsewhere will not fit! The Beomaster 5500 is something I use every day - lots of connections so very useful with a computer!!

Peter

Joseph
Not Ranked
Ireland
5 Posts
Gold Member
Joseph replied on Wed, May 2 2018 11:21 PM

Dear Martin,

thank you for mail. Can I please buy B&O belt kits from you  ?  Do you have a website I can visit for purchase or can you advise how I can organise purchasing from you.

Great you can supply kits Smile

Joseph

Joseph
Not Ranked
Ireland
5 Posts
Gold Member
Joseph replied on Wed, May 2 2018 11:24 PM

Dear Peter,

thank you for your support. Will chase Martin for B&O belts.

Bye for now

Joseph.

kimberley
Not Ranked
19 Posts
Silver Member

As noted by others, I'm not sure why you wouldn't connect the cassette recorder and the turntable to the Beomaster. Apart from other considerations, if you have the Master Control Panel remote control, you'll be able to control some aspects of the BeoGram and most for the BeoCord from your listening seat.

I have used Beomasters 5000, 6000, 5500 & 8000 with non-B&O 'speakers with no problems - as have many other users. Lower power handling by the 'speakers than the output of the amplifier is not a problem, in fact is preferable, as many tweeters have been destroyed by under-powered amplifiers driven into 'clipping'. As Dillen notes, just keep the volume at sensible levels, if you don't think you (or other users when you are out of the room!) can do that, fit limiters.The only likely problem will be with larger-diameter cables to the 2-pin DIN plugs. Chord 'Rumour' is one of (many) good-quality cables which will fit.

If you are connecting the B&O components to a Marantz amplifier, you will, I think, have the problem of DIN cables from the B&O components needing to connect with RCA sockets. While lots of adaptors or DIN-to-RCA cables are available from 'a well-known auction site', it's preferable to use bespoke cables. Chord make them (often available on eBay when the owner decides to change cables, either for different lengths or to 'upgrade') or 'Sounds Heavenly' can advise and supply good quality, compatible ones.

I am also perplexed by what 'springs' you need.

You didn't ask about cartridges... a potential minefield in its own right!

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
13,047 Posts
Founder

Joseph,
Just email or PM me for belts etc.

Martin

Joseph
Not Ranked
Ireland
5 Posts
Gold Member
Joseph replied on Thu, May 3 2018 11:10 PM

Hi Kimberley,

I got the 5500 unit off ebay but none of the separate units work at present. From checking the Beogram turntable, I found the drive belt was broken but there was another problem, there is a white cord that drives the stylus arm to its destination 45 or 33. This cord has a small tension spring at one end that should clip from my checks onto a plastic support. Unfortunately the support is broken but from checking older messages on this forum I noted most members have replaced the plastic support with a bolt. I have done this also but I note the tension spring appears to be under a lot of tension and could eventually break. I hope to get the Beomaster  section working or to buy one on ebay at a sensible price if I fail in my repair.

Thanks for your postSmile

Joseph.

Joseph
Not Ranked
Ireland
5 Posts
Gold Member
Joseph replied on Thu, May 3 2018 11:30 PM

Hi Martin,

sent you an email. Noted on the forum that some members state it may not work sometimes on this site. Please let me know if you did not get the email.

Thanks

Joseph.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL