Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Is the old B&O DNA gone forever?! (Probably a rant)

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 158 Replies | 2 Followers

DanTop
Top 500 Contributor
119 Posts
Bronze Member
DanTop posted on Fri, Apr 20 2018 11:48 AM

Am I the only one to feel that the true DNA of Bang&Olufsen is gone?

In my opinion B&O now feels like any other electronics brand out there (almost). Good TVs, both expensive highend speakers and more budget friendly speakers, headphones and, well... thats it...

What has happened to the old B&O tradition of producing cool lifestyle oriented products?

Such as the Beotime, the beautiful little keyring and other things like that. Those things that gave the lovers of the brand the posibility of surrounding themselves with clever and cool small gadgets, and most important beautiful and functional gadgets.

Those things that filled a little desire here and there. To live daily life with the influence of the brand!

I love that and I really miss all those things!

Sure we have alarmclocks in our phones now, and I dont know anyone whom is not using that function, but its not the same thing, its not even comparable.

We have the new beautiful B&O app that makes it possible to turn on the speakers at the door step, or even on the walkway going up to the house, so the old little keychain remote is not ”important” anymore, but its not the same thing!

I guess B&O as a brand is not in need anymore of showing their skills in aluminium work, ok I understand that, everyone understands that. They make so much other beautiful details on the products, to show that to us. 

But I miss the old times!

I want to be able to get something fairly useless and expensive from B&O, because those things made me a little bit more happy (crazy materialistic thinking?), those small products and details were for me a big part of the brand and the B&O DNA. 

Did those fun things go away with Jacob Jensen? Or is the reason for it, that the market simply is not in need of products like that anymore.

Things I would love to see;

A small keychain remote with IR/bluetooth, to turn on multiroom last played source, and change volume, simple as that. With focus on a cool minimalistic design in aluminium and leather. 

A new version of Beotime with option to control the new TVs and multiroom products. Simple design as the old one and not that cheaper look that most Beoplay products have nowdays.

Instead of a bottle opener, make a simcard tool for iphone, with a unnecessarily big handle with the logo. Why? Why not, it’s just for fun!

I can think of several more things, but what do all of you think?

Any opinions and ideas for fun and functional things, or beautiful and unnecessary things?

or am I just an old fool indulging in reminiscence of the past glory days, having a hard time to appreciate all the new nice things?

All Replies

Calvin
Top 500 Contributor
161 Posts
Bronze Member
Calvin replied on Sun, May 13 2018 1:53 AM

I feel the whole company is like now like the phone division in 2007: unsure whether to move the tech to other sectors or double down and release another mobile phone

15 years ago I remember being drawn to the brand because they considered the competition to be BMW, not Bose - ie it was a premium product, not just another audio brand. Yet now:

• They don't seem to want to be an audiophile company (there's no LP player, it's all cloud based)
  • They surely can't expect people to buy a new £10k hifi system every 2 years on the basis of Apple getting away with that same model
  • An AV company turning a profit due to £400 headphones is not viable in the long run

I've said before that if a product is useless without a £hundreds per year subscription to Spotify, Netflix and the like then I don't care. When I need new hifi stuff I will always buy B&O, simply for the design, but if what they offer instore is a glorified internet screen then I'll go on eBay and buy refurbished equipment from years gone by for half the price.

DanTop
Top 500 Contributor
119 Posts
Bronze Member
DanTop replied on Mon, May 14 2018 9:41 PM

Calvin, good thought there about the vinyl!

why not make a new elegant vinyl player, more people and hipsters have found vinyl once again and its an amazing format for music. 

B&o could shine a little again if they released a new vinyl player. Probably a to small market for it, but then again how big rrally is the market for the more high end B&o stuff. 

I would love to be able to get a vinyl perhaps with a little style like the moment. A mix of wood and aluminium with some minimalistic details. 

Why not a touch display showing 33/45 and option for changing it. And also show the name of the track/record with the shazam algorithm built in. That would be really cool. 

Hand sweep over the player to start it and stop it. 

DanTop
Top 500 Contributor
119 Posts
Bronze Member
DanTop replied on Mon, May 14 2018 9:44 PM

And I still vote for my previous idea of using the ”hand in the air” sweep function for the new tvs. 

Programmable setting for what will happen when one pass the hand over the tv. As for example to start it and set it up for a specific angle on the stand

Calvin
Top 500 Contributor
161 Posts
Bronze Member
Calvin replied on Tue, May 15 2018 1:41 AM

I've said a couple times that Re vinyl, they'd almost even be able to get away with just rebadging someone else's product. It would be a deeply sad state of affairs but no worse than asking customers to buy another product and come back later. At the very least a joint-project would at least have the right sort of cable to plug into older equipment and be compatible with the Beo4.

DanTop
Top 500 Contributor
119 Posts
Bronze Member
DanTop replied on Thu, May 17 2018 10:28 PM

Would not hurt as well to have the current wireless setup in a vinyl player. So it connects easy to all the Beoplay series and the Beolabs. But on bluetooth and wifi. Its not ”back to old school” like this thread is about, but non the less the stuff is out there so needs to be connectable.

Would be pretty cool to have just a vinyl deck and for example a pair of BL18 connected. No fuzz with wires and a really clean and simple setup for playing vinyl! That would bring some of the old DNA back. 

Assuming the player itself looks good and ambraces polished aluminium/copper or gold coated aluminium, together with  wood!

And not plastic parts and pearl/sand blasted aluminium. 

And please give us options of using both Beo4  5 and 6, as well as the app and BeoR1

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
538 Posts
Bronze Member

And now, reality check: Beoplay headphones can’t even connect via bluetooth to Beovision TVs to be used for listening. You can forget about any product integration, Beoplay range is OEM’d chinese stuff and in B&O range product development teams in Struer are getting smaller. There’s noone left to develop it.

DanTop
Top 500 Contributor
119 Posts
Bronze Member
DanTop replied on Fri, May 18 2018 8:53 AM

AnalogPlanet, keep the hope up!

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
2,214 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Fri, May 18 2018 10:31 AM
DanTop:

Would be pretty cool to have just a vinyl deck and for example a pair of BL18 connected. No fuzz with wires and a really clean and simple setup for playing vinyl!

I would go for that.
AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
538 Posts
Bronze Member

DanTop:
AnalogPlanet, keep the hope up!

Oh I do! Smile I've bought a pre-owned Moment recently and I'm very happy with it. And after all criticism and everything, now that I look into the TV lineup I start understanding why the non-Android Avant is a wonderful TV.

With a remark for both: at 1/2 to 1/3 of the original price. Bought my Moment for 900 EUR - not 2.400 - and would not mind spending 4-5.000 EUR for the Avant - but certainly not 10.000 as asked originally. This is the pricing level where I am happy to take some compromises or accept technological imperfections as part of the deal. 

Also, IFA in Berlin comes relatively soon - maybe we can see some exciting new B&O things there. Smile

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
959 Posts
Bronze Member
AnalogPlanet:

Oh I do! I've bought a pre-owned Moment recently and I'm very happy with it. And after all criticism and everything, now that I look into the TV lineup I start understanding why the non-Android Avant is a wonderful TV.

With a remark for both: at 1/2 to 1/3 of the original price. Bought my Moment for 900 EUR - not 2.400 - and would not mind spending 4-5.000 EUR for the Avant - but certainly not 10.000 as asked originally. This is the pricing level where I am happy to take some compromises or accept technological imperfections as part of the deal.

Also, IFA in Berlin comes relatively soon - maybe we can see some exciting new B&O things there.

I fear the exciting days are gone.
Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,464 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sun, May 20 2018 6:33 PM

Duels:
DanTop:

Would be pretty cool to have just a vinyl deck and for example a pair of BL18 connected. No fuzz with wires and a really clean and simple setup for playing vinyl!

I would go for that.

I know Klipsch has at least one pair, possibly more, of speakers with built in amps and phono preamps and such. Not wireless I think for the phono, that would be wires to the speaker from phono player but if I recall rightly they have wifi/BluTooth, not active but a single amp in each speaker. Personally, in today's world, I think the idea is splended. Today, who wants the classic system, CD, tape, receiver, phono, etc.? I have thought B&O has missed an opportunity by not building speakers with built in BT/wifi (working for a change) and no need for any additional equipment. I have also noticed I believe ProJect turntables selling versions that not only have a digitizer phono preamp built in, analog or digital out, but also a BluTooth transmitter. I notice B&O pushes out a box to do this but not actually put it in the speakers at least as yet. For the price of the speakers this seems short sighted to me.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

DanTop
Top 500 Contributor
119 Posts
Bronze Member
DanTop replied on Sun, May 20 2018 7:25 PM

Jeff,

I think Pro-Ject deserve some credit for putting bluetooth straight in the vinyl player. I have seen them to and I really like that idea. 

Perhaps Pro-Ject and B&O could do something together. I think it could result in some nice vinyl stuff

Schlaumeier
Top 500 Contributor
126 Posts
Bronze Member
Your question, my answer: Yes, it‘s. definetely gone. For example TV: After cancelling BV 10, B&O produces only ***. It was the last ‚real‘ B&O-TV. without this Smart-and Android-rubbish made in China. Just my 50cent. If you ask me, a big mistake. As you can see today.

Beste Grüße / Best regards

Schlaumeier

Setup Livingroom: BeoVision 10-40 and 10-32, BeoLab 6000 front, BeoLab 4000 rear, BeoLab 11, Ouverture, Apple TV 2 & 4, Airport Express, 6 x LC2.

Other Rooms: 3 x BeoSound 8, BeoVision 8-26, MX 4002, 2 x Keyring, 2 x Beolit 15, A1, Airport Express, 4 x Beo4, 2 x Beocom 5

DanTop
Top 500 Contributor
119 Posts
Bronze Member
DanTop replied on Mon, May 21 2018 9:48 AM

Schlaumeier, hi and thanks for sharing your thoughts👍🏻

BV10 is basically the same in function as BV7, and the bv7 is my favorite. So I can totally see what you are talking about. 

I dont mind at all to use an old BV and just connect an apple tv. Regarding the 7 and 10 models, well the previous ones as well, as long as they suport hdcp. 

The only thing I wish for in that situation is that an old BV with an apple tv setup, could be used together in the new multiroom system. 

Yes I know the new multiroom function really goes against what I have been saying in this thread from the beginning 😂

But when in Rome... Might as well find ways to take advantage of it. 

Sorry Schlaumeier I am not sure if I really commented so much on your comment, it feels like I spun of in a different direction...

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,278 Posts
Bronze Member

DanTop:

The only thing I wish for in that situation is that an old BV with an apple tv setup, could be used together in the new multiroom system. 

Yes I know the new multiroom function really goes against what I have been saying in this thread from the beginning 😂

But when in Rome... Might as well find ways to take advantage of it. 

Just hook up an Essence 2nd gen (box-only) or the Core to an analog stereo-input on these old BV’s.

(Be sure to set the sound-output to line-out level)

This will give you access to all sources of the new NL-based unit - when you use the Bang & Olufsen app (or AirPlay/Chromecasting from a 3rd party app).

Surely not as comfortable as with a true NL-based BV, but if you really want to stick to an old BV, this is the way to go.

You can also access these sources from connected ML-rooms.

Adding one (or more) of the new NL-devices (e.g. a BS1), will give you NL-multiroom as well.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Page 10 of 11 (159 items) « First ... < Previous 7 8 9 10 11 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL