Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Is the old B&O DNA gone forever?! (Probably a rant)

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 158 Replies | 2 Followers

DanTop
Top 500 Contributor
119 Posts
Bronze Member
DanTop posted on Fri, Apr 20 2018 11:48 AM

Am I the only one to feel that the true DNA of Bang&Olufsen is gone?

In my opinion B&O now feels like any other electronics brand out there (almost). Good TVs, both expensive highend speakers and more budget friendly speakers, headphones and, well... thats it...

What has happened to the old B&O tradition of producing cool lifestyle oriented products?

Such as the Beotime, the beautiful little keyring and other things like that. Those things that gave the lovers of the brand the posibility of surrounding themselves with clever and cool small gadgets, and most important beautiful and functional gadgets.

Those things that filled a little desire here and there. To live daily life with the influence of the brand!

I love that and I really miss all those things!

Sure we have alarmclocks in our phones now, and I dont know anyone whom is not using that function, but its not the same thing, its not even comparable.

We have the new beautiful B&O app that makes it possible to turn on the speakers at the door step, or even on the walkway going up to the house, so the old little keychain remote is not ”important” anymore, but its not the same thing!

I guess B&O as a brand is not in need anymore of showing their skills in aluminium work, ok I understand that, everyone understands that. They make so much other beautiful details on the products, to show that to us. 

But I miss the old times!

I want to be able to get something fairly useless and expensive from B&O, because those things made me a little bit more happy (crazy materialistic thinking?), those small products and details were for me a big part of the brand and the B&O DNA. 

Did those fun things go away with Jacob Jensen? Or is the reason for it, that the market simply is not in need of products like that anymore.

Things I would love to see;

A small keychain remote with IR/bluetooth, to turn on multiroom last played source, and change volume, simple as that. With focus on a cool minimalistic design in aluminium and leather. 

A new version of Beotime with option to control the new TVs and multiroom products. Simple design as the old one and not that cheaper look that most Beoplay products have nowdays.

Instead of a bottle opener, make a simcard tool for iphone, with a unnecessarily big handle with the logo. Why? Why not, it’s just for fun!

I can think of several more things, but what do all of you think?

Any opinions and ideas for fun and functional things, or beautiful and unnecessary things?

or am I just an old fool indulging in reminiscence of the past glory days, having a hard time to appreciate all the new nice things?

All Replies

Christophe
Top 500 Contributor
Cape Town
93 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi guys,

I remember how, more than 5 years ago, I had passionate discussions on this forum about the products, the company, the design..

Now I hardly ever log in, because to me there is not much left to discuss.

I also feel that B&O has become  just another brand in another world that has nothing to offer to me. My B&O bible talked about the 7 CICs, never compromise on quality, make products that can remain on shelves for 15 to 20 years, and never drop prices.. now all the contrary is happening, there is a plethora of headphones and speakers, but no sound system to go with them, and most of all, everything is app-controlled through your phone..I will NEVER use my phone to control my B&O products, nor anything else anyway, since I don't have a smartphone..and the BeoRemote One doesn't look functional at all to me..first time I needed to read the user guide to understand how it works..and still don't understand.

Like many, I'm keeping my vintage products and would love to buy some new stuff at one stage, but I can't see anything in the current range that moves me! And when it moves me, the price makes me move back..BeoLab 17 are now costing the price of Pentas..seriously? Current BeoVisions are now less expensive than older BVs, but compared to Loewe Tvs, one keeps wondering where is the B&O DNA gone..

Bring me a BeoCenter, a BeoPlay V2, and the magic curtain back, and I may revise my opinion!

DanTop
Top 500 Contributor
119 Posts
Bronze Member
DanTop replied on Sun, Apr 22 2018 4:44 PM

Lyle, good info thanks. I just recently found out about it so I dont know so much. 

Do you know if a speaker with a Beocreate circuit inside it will show up as any other beoplay speaker in the app?

DanTop
Top 500 Contributor
119 Posts
Bronze Member
DanTop replied on Sun, Apr 22 2018 4:45 PM

DMacri, you could be on a good track there 👍🏻

DanTop
Top 500 Contributor
119 Posts
Bronze Member
DanTop replied on Sun, Apr 22 2018 4:49 PM

Beovox141, perhaps not a better speaker bit at least a more usefull speaker.

A lot of people love the old design but still want to have the convenience of the modern wireless versions. I think Beocreate is still better tahn nothing, to make it easier to enjoy the old design with the more modern units we all have   

DanTop
Top 500 Contributor
119 Posts
Bronze Member
DanTop replied on Sun, Apr 22 2018 4:54 PM

Beojeff, Europe is just a tad better in all ways 😎😉

I heard a rumor that B&O soon will release their own voice controlled product, to connect and control all units with. Anyone else heard something similar?

A little aluminium pyramid to do all that you mentioned does indeed sound B&Oisch, a very good idea👍🏻

DanTop
Top 500 Contributor
119 Posts
Bronze Member
DanTop replied on Sun, Apr 22 2018 4:57 PM

BeoGreg,

let my save up for a couple of years then, and we can have that talk about the keyring remote😂

Lyle Clarke
Not Ranked
Lunderskov
51 Posts
Bronze Member
Hej DanTop, currently BeoCreate speakers don't appear in the Bang & Olufsen app. It would make a lot of sense though and is high on the BeoCreate team's wishlist, however there is a lot of other higher priority things coming to the app first.
DanTop
Top 500 Contributor
119 Posts
Bronze Member
DanTop replied on Sun, Apr 22 2018 5:04 PM

Hi Christophe, 

Sorry to hear that you got so tired of it all as well. Welcome to the club(thread)! And I am most happy my initial thoughts gave you a reason to log in and share your opinion once again👍🏻 

No doubt that a phone to control B&O products is far away from the true DNA, then again it is convinient in many ways. But surely nothing beats a proper unit sitting in it’s place permanently. 

I also have a hard time to accept the new Beoremote One. It’s not even close to a Beo4 in feel of quality. 

DanTop
Top 500 Contributor
119 Posts
Bronze Member
DanTop replied on Sun, Apr 22 2018 5:09 PM

Hi Lyle, so they are controlled like any other bluetooth speaker then? From the bluetooth settings and normal pairing I assume. 

Doesnt feel so much B&O but non the less gives the option of at least bringing out the old Beovox and use them even if ones old mein unit is broken or sold. I still call that better than nothing. 

Surely a proper app controlled option will arise sooner or later. 

Lyle Clarke
Not Ranked
Lunderskov
51 Posts
Bronze Member
Hej DanTop, correct, and for the more technologically adventurous souls more sources can be added via the Raspberry Pi side of things to give some options beyond Bluetooth. Agree that this is not 'B&O enough' yet. To reach that bar we need to make things much simpler, and this is really just baby steps.

Just curious, what would you like to see first, ReCreate'd speakers appearing in the app (not multiroom, just the settings, like a normal Bluetooth speaker) or direct control via an Essence Remote?
beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
1,536 Posts
Bronze Member

Lyle Clarke:
Hej DanTop, correct, and for the more technologically adventurous souls more sources can be added via the Raspberry Pi side of things to give some options beyond Bluetooth. Agree that this is not 'B&O enough' yet. To reach that bar we need to make things much simpler, and this is really just baby steps.

Just curious, what would you like to see first, ReCreate'd speakers appearing in the app (not multiroom, just the settings, like a normal Bluetooth speaker) or direct control via an Essence Remote?

Lyle,

Since we're so lucky to have you participating in this forum and you brought up the Essence remote....

It would be really great to have someone at B&O elaborate more on the settings of the Essence remote -- including the undocumented extra option settings -- in the Essence documentation on the BeoIntegration site. The description of the various option settings is rather sparse.

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
698 Posts
Silver Member

DanTop:

Beovox141, perhaps not a better speaker bit at least a more usefull speaker.

A lot of people love the old design but still want to have the convenience of the modern wireless versions. I think Beocreate is still better tahn nothing, to make it easier to enjoy the old design with the more modern units we all have   

So why not do it right instead of "as difficult as possible" I have had active CX 100 with Powerlink connections for 15 years and a wireless version for the last two years..  It really is very simple.

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
818 Posts
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Sun, Apr 22 2018 6:18 PM
Hey Lyle, maybe not what you want to hear, but the possibility to update the CX or RL speakers from passive to active, with DSP crossovers, WISA and/ or Powerlink connectivity would be awesome if it can be reasonably accomplished. To me anyway. Big Smile

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, and ambio 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,342 Posts
Bronze Member

I wonder how many - different - descriptions of ‘the B&O DNA’ we would see, if all forum members had to answer that question.

And, when talking about ‘the old B&O DNA’....is there ‘new B&O DNA’?

Why talking about ‘old DNA’?

As far as I am concerned evolution changes DNA - DNA is not static....and ‘B&O DNA’ never was.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
3,299 Posts
Bronze Member
Whatever you call it, and judging by the continual shop closures, it’s broke. It doesn’t even make products that set us on fire, let alone the public or the sceptical audiophiles.

Beovision Eclipse, BeoLab 17,Beolit 15, Beoplay A2 Active

Page 4 of 11 (159 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL