Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Is the old B&O DNA gone forever?! (Probably a rant)

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 158 Replies | 2 Followers

DanTop
Top 500 Contributor
119 Posts
Bronze Member
DanTop posted on Fri, Apr 20 2018 11:48 AM

Am I the only one to feel that the true DNA of Bang&Olufsen is gone?

In my opinion B&O now feels like any other electronics brand out there (almost). Good TVs, both expensive highend speakers and more budget friendly speakers, headphones and, well... thats it...

What has happened to the old B&O tradition of producing cool lifestyle oriented products?

Such as the Beotime, the beautiful little keyring and other things like that. Those things that gave the lovers of the brand the posibility of surrounding themselves with clever and cool small gadgets, and most important beautiful and functional gadgets.

Those things that filled a little desire here and there. To live daily life with the influence of the brand!

I love that and I really miss all those things!

Sure we have alarmclocks in our phones now, and I dont know anyone whom is not using that function, but its not the same thing, its not even comparable.

We have the new beautiful B&O app that makes it possible to turn on the speakers at the door step, or even on the walkway going up to the house, so the old little keychain remote is not ”important” anymore, but its not the same thing!

I guess B&O as a brand is not in need anymore of showing their skills in aluminium work, ok I understand that, everyone understands that. They make so much other beautiful details on the products, to show that to us. 

But I miss the old times!

I want to be able to get something fairly useless and expensive from B&O, because those things made me a little bit more happy (crazy materialistic thinking?), those small products and details were for me a big part of the brand and the B&O DNA. 

Did those fun things go away with Jacob Jensen? Or is the reason for it, that the market simply is not in need of products like that anymore.

Things I would love to see;

A small keychain remote with IR/bluetooth, to turn on multiroom last played source, and change volume, simple as that. With focus on a cool minimalistic design in aluminium and leather. 

A new version of Beotime with option to control the new TVs and multiroom products. Simple design as the old one and not that cheaper look that most Beoplay products have nowdays.

Instead of a bottle opener, make a simcard tool for iphone, with a unnecessarily big handle with the logo. Why? Why not, it’s just for fun!

I can think of several more things, but what do all of you think?

Any opinions and ideas for fun and functional things, or beautiful and unnecessary things?

or am I just an old fool indulging in reminiscence of the past glory days, having a hard time to appreciate all the new nice things?

All Replies

DanTop
Top 500 Contributor
119 Posts
Bronze Member
DanTop replied on Sun, Apr 22 2018 1:53 PM

Analog,

Well yes of course some things are still nice. I did not mean to make it sound like everything done by B&O today is bad. It’s just that I feel that that general amazing ambience is gone. It feels like the heart of it all is lacking. 

I for example really like the Moment and I love BL90. I think the Moment and the 90 goes very well together as well. But it’s still that metal feeling missing. I dont like for example that the BL9 and BL20 are covered with boring fabric(yes the BL90 are as well). That obsessive fabric ammount for me is a good example of lost design. 

Look at BL4000, BL8000 and BL1 for example. Beaituful sharp finish with amazing luster in the fabric, beautiful colours and a generally more complete over all design. 

BL18 are a good follower to the BL8000, but I hate the foot. It doesnt have that perfect symmetry the BL8000 have. I feel B&O really should have left the foot/base just as square and big as the 8000 one. 

Besides that it’s a top design on them. 

I am waiting for that unit as well. Honestly nothing after the different ”Ouverture” and BS9000 models have been even close to setting the iconic bar as high as they did

DanTop
Top 500 Contributor
119 Posts
Bronze Member
DanTop replied on Sun, Apr 22 2018 1:58 PM

Beojeff,

Haha I was actually going to suggest in me previous comment to have the remote as a pendant on a necklas. I am rrally happy that this thread made you take it out again to use it. 

When I started this thread I wasnt really sure that anyone would care to comment in it, since I was thinking as well that I was just complaining and bitching. 

But it makes me really happy to see that some of the fine people here on Beoworld actually agreed with me. I dont feel as bitter anymore 😂

Regarding the prince albert, consider how fanatic we B&O lovers are, I would not be surprised! Haha

DanTop
Top 500 Contributor
119 Posts
Bronze Member
DanTop replied on Sun, Apr 22 2018 2:06 PM

Band’oh,

I am happy to hear that you share opinion as well in this matter👍🏻

I was hoping that the thread would kick of with some amazing new ideas for fun products. Thats why I wrote my two cents in my initial text. 

Would be amazing if we actually came up with some things here that would catch the eye of the R&D over at the B&O HQ!

I cant imagine a better place than this community for the R&D people to look at for inspiration and ideas. The wealth of interesting threads here are amazing. People showing there lineups, their homes, discussions about products and improvements.. All B&O ever could want is here. I have never seen any other brand have it’s own forum like this one. And honestly the ideas B&O could get here would cost most other brands millions to scrape together in market research and focus groups.   

koning
Top 25 Contributor
holland
4,186 Posts
Bronze Member
koning replied on Sun, Apr 22 2018 2:10 PM

Only thing what we ask is working products....

DanTop
Top 500 Contributor
119 Posts
Bronze Member
DanTop replied on Sun, Apr 22 2018 2:15 PM

Beojeff,

Yes the LC1 is amazing, and so is the LC2. I prefer the design on that one. I do not really think(sadly)  B&O willl go back to light control again though, considering what philips have done with their Hue system, and the options Lutron gives for total control. And all other brands with options of using IFTTT.

But I can say for sure that, if B&O released a new version of the LC, controllable from the app and remote, I would get that in a heartbeat. 

B&O should go back to a total-concept again, control of the entire house, and not leave some parts of that to other brands. 

Luckily enough I have a couple of LC to enjoy, and I would never get rid of them for all the cheddar in Somerset!

Imagine an LC3, with app conectivity, control of both LED and normal lights, and why not use them as a WiFi extender as well at the same time!

DanTop
Top 500 Contributor
119 Posts
Bronze Member
DanTop replied on Sun, Apr 22 2018 2:20 PM

Koning,

Haha well that is indeed the base of it all. And most certainly NOT to much to ask for!

But as I wrote before, when a brand depends on other brands, other products and other product standards, well that’s just a thing that invites to problems and complications. 

I assume some of the things you are unhappy with would be with the new app and how the speakers and units are having problems connecting with esch other and working together in a multiroom setup?

Or are you having problems with the products themselves? Such as internal functions?

DanTop
Top 500 Contributor
119 Posts
Bronze Member
DanTop replied on Sun, Apr 22 2018 2:35 PM

One thing that B&O recently released is the kit to convert any old beovox speaker into a modern bluetooth speakers. 

B&O really deserves credits for making something like that!

No other brands out there have (to my knowledge) done anything similar to that. To let the buyers of the brands products go back and make their old stuff up to date. Usually nowadays it’s all about buy buy buy new stuff as often as possible and discard the old things, and even throw out the things which are not so old.

Most companies release a similar product to the one previous year, with just a small update(which they of course could have implemented from the beginning) but they want to sell more and have people change things every year. Of course to keep a steady turn over on their income and get more money from withholding goodies here and there. 

I do feel that B&O still thinks about the concept of long term quality in many ways. For customers to keep their things for many many years, and I salute them and tip my hat as well for that. 

This latest thing is the perfect example of a company philosophy of enjoying the old things they know we love. 

Correct me if I am wrong please, but I do think it’s called BeoCreate...?

koning
Top 25 Contributor
holland
4,186 Posts
Bronze Member
koning replied on Sun, Apr 22 2018 2:39 PM

No,not the fault of other brands.

Cheap hardware with bad software for a premium price.

DanTop
Top 500 Contributor
119 Posts
Bronze Member
DanTop replied on Sun, Apr 22 2018 2:42 PM

Koning,

Well it depends on what the problem is. 

If you for example have a problem with getting multiroom function to work, that is just as much depending on your router as the B&O app.

Lyle Clarke
Not Ranked
Lunderskov
51 Posts
Bronze Member
Thanks for kicking off a good discussion!

Re BeoCreate: actually it was started internally by a tiny young team (interns actually - fans of B&O first and employees second) asking the question 'if Peter & Svend were starting from fresh today, what would they do, what company would they build?'

You could say that the BeoCreate 4-Channel Amplifier (out first product) is our 'Eliminator', connecting the speakers people already have to modern technology that makes it easy to use.

https://www.hifiberry.com/BeoCreate

We've just finished off the manuals for stereo CX50 & CX100 too :-) which was a big request, and the future roadmap will also be community driven too, because we believe that is what Peter & Svend would be doing here in 2018+

Its not all noslatgia & heritage though, we also have some cool future facing experiments happening using 'new to B&O manufacturing' techniques - some high-tech and some high artisanal. Essentially we are reusing what we are learning and creating via ReCreate to make new beautiful experiences that have B&O DNA at the heart, but that turn the mass-manufacturing status quo totally upside down.

Cheers

Lyle

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
818 Posts
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Sun, Apr 22 2018 3:03 PM
A few years ago B&O made a trademark of BeoClassic, I believe. Could they start a “Beocreate” like team to make an audio/video product that can work with the tons of Datalink and Masterlink equipment still in daily operation? That would cause me to creak open my wallet a bit for a “new” product besides B&O Play. Could that help restart the DNA?

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, and ambio 

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
698 Posts
Silver Member

...Beocreate

So adding massive amounts of processing hardware, ripping out the original crossover, hacksawing the chassis and hot glueing 3D printed parts, just to turn it into a BT device, does that make the CX 100 a better speaker?

Sorry guys, full wireless functionality could have been achieved far easier, better and simpler,- which for the technical part would have been the real B&O DNA. 

If B&O was sincere about keeping the old products alive and up to date, they would release the documentation for the products they no longer wish to or can support!  

beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
1,536 Posts
Bronze Member

DanTop:

Beojeff,

Yes the LC1 is amazing, and so is the LC2. I prefer the design on that one. I do not really think(sadly)  B&O willl go back to light control again though, considering what philips have done with their Hue system, and the options Lutron gives for total control. And all other brands with options of using IFTTT.

But I can say for sure that, if B&O released a new version of the LC, controllable from the app and remote, I would get that in a heartbeat. 

B&O should go back to a total-concept again, control of the entire house, and not leave some parts of that to other brands. 

Luckily enough I have a couple of LC to enjoy, and I would never get rid of them for all the cheddar in Somerset!

Imagine an LC3, with app conectivity, control of both LED and normal lights, and why not use them as a WiFi extender as well at the same time!

Here in the U.S., we never got the LC2. Therefore, as halogen lamps became popular, we found we could no longer use the LC for halogen.

I see the need approaching for a new add-on for voice interface. B&O has suggested that future products will have built-in voice interfacing for Google Home. For those NL products that lack a microphone, such as the Moment, it would be nice to have an external microphone that could connect using the Line-In. I could see how B&O could come up with some beautiful designs -- such as a small bushed aluminum pyramidal design. Something small and elegant.

Also, as B&O has removed IR from newer products, we really need a way to send LIGHT/CONTROL commands to the BLGW for home automation. Perhaps there could be a small device to send IR LIGHT/CONTROL (plus numeric and color button) commands from a Beo4 and/or bluetooth commands from a BeoRemote One for home automation.

Lyle Clarke
Not Ranked
Lunderskov
51 Posts
Bronze Member
The ReCreate project is not about keeping old products alive (there other way to do that more efficiently as you point out) but about evolving them. Keeping their essence but taking advantage of newer technology and making it possible to tap into the explosion of creativity that is happening outside of the mainstream, e.g. by using a Raspberry Pi instead of something locked down by the industry. Yes, some do see what we are proposing as sacrilegious. At the same time we are trying to create an open platform for other explorative work I mentioned in the previous post, which is why we chose the direction we have in this project.

Regarding releasing of documentation to unsupported products, could you describe a bit more what you would want/expect here, and perhaps point to examples of companies that are doing this is a a great way. (Can't promise anything, but knowing what is need will be a step closer to making it happen).
BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
1,413 Posts
Bronze Member
DanTop:

BeoGreg,

You don’t feel to sell it? 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Unfortunately no, I keep it as a souvenir of the good ol’ days.

But if you are a billionaire with 1.000 € in your pyjama’s pocket, I may rethink my position of the good ol’ days Big Smile
Page 3 of 11 (159 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL