rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 3 verified answers | 23 Replies | 1 Follower

Eri
Not Ranked
Tallinn, Estonia
21 Posts
Bronze Member
Eri posted on Sat, Apr 14 2018 6:28 PM

This may be a weird question to ask here, since I assume we all are fans. However I got this Beogram 1000 recently. I have always wanted to try how these TT sound - the cool looking design items.

So this table is in rather good shape. I was able to clean and lube the mechanics well and the idler and silicone belt are alive still. This is not my first TT I am fixing, so I know all the all the right procedures. Now it runs well, silent and holds the speed nicely. Platter turns free for about 30 seconds(witout the belt installed), so the bearing is in good shape cleaned and with new oil.

The tonearm has some rust at the base, so one of the fixing(VTA) screws is not going to come off. I tried the massage this for a week - it will not budge. Before I going to drill this out I need some advise about the arm though. For me it looks crocked/tilted. I do not know how it supposed to be originally.

If the arm has suffered some damage I may want to use some other arm that likes 210mm spindle to pivot and 17,1mm overhang. Like Prichard ADC40 wooden arm.

But there is a question: how good is the table anyway  - without the original arm - is it worth the effort to get the working machine out of it. Or the tonearm is the main reason to have it.

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,730 Posts
Founder
Answered (Verified) Peter replied on Sat, Apr 14 2018 10:23 PM
Verified by Eri

The Beogram 1000 was of its time - it has much less isolation from external stimuli than the later decks and the motor will tend to run slow unless serviced. From a value point of view, despite some asking prices on eBay, these are sub £100 decks including cartridge. I have had a couple in my time. They do have an interesting party piece in that they will play when practically vertical - though not a good idea as the bearing will not like it!

Peter

Eri
Not Ranked
Tallinn, Estonia
21 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) Eri replied on Mon, Apr 16 2018 6:35 AM
Verified by Eri

Yes, the arm is damaged. I put it on and the geometry is badly off.

So I may want to get rid of this TT however it has some visual appeal to consider.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,058 Posts
Gold Member

my working BG

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

All Replies

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,730 Posts
Founder
Answered (Verified) Peter replied on Sat, Apr 14 2018 10:23 PM
Verified by Eri

The Beogram 1000 was of its time - it has much less isolation from external stimuli than the later decks and the motor will tend to run slow unless serviced. From a value point of view, despite some asking prices on eBay, these are sub £100 decks including cartridge. I have had a couple in my time. They do have an interesting party piece in that they will play when practically vertical - though not a good idea as the bearing will not like it!

Peter

Eri
Not Ranked
Tallinn, Estonia
21 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) Eri replied on Mon, Apr 16 2018 6:35 AM
Verified by Eri

Yes, the arm is damaged. I put it on and the geometry is badly off.

So I may want to get rid of this TT however it has some visual appeal to consider.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,273 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, Apr 16 2018 6:49 AM

Which geometry? How do you measure it?

And can you show us the damage, you are talking about?

Martin

Eri
Not Ranked
Tallinn, Estonia
21 Posts
Bronze Member
Eri replied on Mon, Apr 16 2018 7:00 AM

There is a picture looking at the rear of the bearing counterweight off in my first post. When cart is on the bottom flat of it is tilted/twisted towards the spindle so the stylus runs tilted as well. I can not undo one of the VTA screws to correct the arm leaning back too much.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,273 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, Apr 16 2018 2:45 PM

I see nothing wrong in that photo.
Can you show us a photo of the cartridge "twist"?

Martin

Eri
Not Ranked
Tallinn, Estonia
21 Posts
Bronze Member

Interesting. So the pivots in bearing are not supposed to be horizontal and vertical compared to the mounting post? You see, I haven't seen this Beogram before, so I don't know if it is right or wrong.

Eri
Not Ranked
Tallinn, Estonia
21 Posts
Bronze Member

And the front view

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,058 Posts
Gold Member

my working BG

Eri
Not Ranked
Tallinn, Estonia
21 Posts
Bronze Member
Eri replied on Mon, Apr 16 2018 6:40 PM

Well, that's relief. I put the pictures on the top of another and the angles are identical. Ouff! nothing wrong with the bearing!

Eri
Not Ranked
Tallinn, Estonia
21 Posts
Bronze Member
Eri replied on Tue, Apr 17 2018 10:10 AM

I got this sorted as well. Now when I knew that the bearing is OK I just twisted/rotated the arm-tube. It appeared that the tiny fixing screw at the bearing was loose and whole tube rotated a bit. I have drilled out the VTA screw as well and re-treaded. I am going to machine the mounting collar clean from rust(and chrome plating as well) and paint it. 

I hope it will sound decent at least.

Saint Beogrowler
Top 150 Contributor
Saint Paul, Minnesota
559 Posts
Gold Member
erikik:

I hope it will sound decent at least.

I’m confident it will sound much better than “decent” when all sorting is complete.

Peter-

Eri
Not Ranked
Tallinn, Estonia
21 Posts
Bronze Member
Eri replied on Tue, Apr 17 2018 8:13 PM

I got it together and playing. So far it is no more than decent. Comparing to my fine tuned Lenco L78SE with Shure M91EX.

I need some advise with adjusting VTA. If I rise the base up to have tonearm parallel with the platter the lift lever can not reach the arm at all - ther is a gap of 5mm. The reach of the lift is not adjustable as far I can tell. So I wonder if the arm is supposed to be slanting towards the base by the design. 

So I would appreciate a picture of the arm position when stylus is on the record. I looked on the net, but I could not get assured answer.

Maybe somewhat boring sound is due to not accurate arm setup.

BTW Peter, greetings to StPaul - it was my home town for almost 10 years.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,058 Posts
Gold Member

There is a manual onsite for silver and gold members, which pickup are you using ?

Eri
Not Ranked
Tallinn, Estonia
21 Posts
Bronze Member
Eri replied on Tue, Apr 17 2018 9:12 PM

Great! Thanks!

I have SP6-7.

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL