rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 1 Follower

kentaylor
Not Ranked
53 Posts
Bronze Member
kentaylor posted on Thu, Apr 12 2018 12:56 PM

Beolab 2500 Mk1

How to you get a fabric cover off, without damaging it?

Cant feel any movement, is there a trick ?

Want to repalce the cover with a new one, but cant see any tape or connector on the new front 1603676

Thanks Ken

All Replies

lawrencejmcook
Top 500 Contributor
186 Posts
Founder
Hi - as I recall from mine, the BL2500 cloth frames are held on by 4 magnets.

Try inserting a plastic loyalty/credit card or thin blunt butter knife between the edge of the cloth frame and the black speaker edge near a corner, and gently lever the cloth frame away.

Go slowly.
kentaylor
Not Ranked
53 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks for the tip,,but I cant see any metal on the new covers, so how dose the magnet work ?

best wishes Ken

kentaylor
Not Ranked
53 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks for the tip,,but I cant see any metal on the new covers, so how dose the magnet work ?

best wishes Ken

trackbeo
Top 500 Contributor
202 Posts
Silver Member

Various generations had different fittings.  If you look at Leslie's post where he replaces fabric covers with B&O metal covers, you'll see what are (probably) yours:

https://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/3566/32210.aspx

Notice the front baffles of the speakers in his photos have plastic edge-clips (top/middle/bottom) and the old frame is basically featureless except for a very slight indentation to allow the edge clip to start?  That says to me that they were originally intended to just be pressed on and yanked off!  But to improve your odds of success without breaking the face clips, you would only try to remove the left *or* right side at one time, and would slightly shift the fret's frame outward (by pulling, with your fingers on the fabric on the top and/or with fingernails from underneath) to reduce the grab of the clips before pulling up.  Start with the middle clip, where there is the most flex in the frame.  Of course the other side is trivial once you get the first edge off, so if you feel or hear the clips creaking you can stop and try to remove the other side first.  (In theory, you could insert your credit card or butter knife to push the clip inward, rather than deforming the frame outward.  But by the time you get it pushed in, you have created a shim, making the clip tighter, so this trick might not work so well. But at least it will let you locate the clips, if you need the confidence boost.)

If you break their tips, you can probably use adhesive hook&loop of a suitable thickness directly on the baffle when it comes time to replace.  Leslie's post will give you more confidence -- though you can't use his exact methods, you'll feel better about a good outcome -- even if you crack the clips.

P.S.  If you look carefully at the replacement screens he's using, you'll see a third attachment method, other than edge clips or magnets: His metal baffles had posts with little balls on the ends, which were made to fit into rubber grommets on the face/baffle of the speaker.  In that case the credit card is the ideal tool, because just like automotive door-panel-removers, the credit card will move the point of leverage in to where the post is, instead of pulling on a flexible/breakable speaker frame.  But I don't think that is your case.  P.P.S.  Sorry to be so verbose, but it seems like you needed the detail.  Honestly, when I took mine off, I just pulled!  But that was over twenty years ago, and the plastic was probably more flexible...

MediaBobNY
Top 75 Contributor
Greenwich Village, NYC
1,100 Posts
Silver Member

trackbeo:

Honestly, when I took mine off, I just yanked!  

I change the fabric grill colors fairly often and that's exactly how I do it.  Use thumb and forefinger to just grab the grill edge (yes, the fabric will be pressed in a a bit to do this but it's ok), and pull.  You will hear several clicks as the grills release from their snap-in connectors (there are no magnets).  When the grill is released you'll see how the snap-in connector works - basically you just push the grill edges back in to re-install.  Again, you'll hear them click into place. It helps to push the grill borders outwards when reinstalling.  (easier to do than describe how to do!)

kentaylor
Not Ranked
53 Posts
Bronze Member

Tried the credit card trick, worked perfectly,

Thanks

Ken

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL