Beosound 5 Broken?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 18 Replies | 1 Follower

Beosince98
Top 500 Contributor
241 Posts
Silver Member
Beosince98 posted on Thu, Mar 29 2018 9:04 PM

I just bought an beosound 5, which is apparently broken. The system turns on: Bang and Olufsen sign, black screen asking where to start. After that, the picture turns black and the red led starts blinking. Do you have any help? 

All Replies

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
710 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Thu, Mar 29 2018 10:32 PM

Does it get as far as giving you the option to start the BeoSound5 in recovery mode?  That is, you get a screen where "Boot Beosound 5" is the default, and "Boot Beosound 5 in recovery mode" is the 2nd option (I probably have the exact wording wrong). 

If so, connect a keyboard to one of the USB ports, reboot and use the keyboard arrows/enter key to select "recovery mode".  Once this is done, then assuming it eventually comes up, select recovery mode again (this time using the BS5 wheel and the "Setting" mode), and then perform a software update (again using the BS5 wheel and the "Settings" mode).

If you don't see this option, then it probably needs to see a repair shop...  or maybe others here know more than me.

Beosince98
Top 500 Contributor
241 Posts
Silver Member

Stan:

Does it get as far as giving you the option to start the BeoSound5 in recovery mode?  That is, you get a screen where "Boot Beosound 5" is the default, and "Boot Beosound 5 in recovery mode" is the 2nd option (I probably have the exact wording wrong). 

If so, connect a keyboard to one of the USB ports, reboot and use the keyboard arrows/enter key to select "recovery mode".  Once this is done, then assuming it eventually comes up, select recovery mode again (this time using the BS5 wheel and the "Setting" mode), and then perform a software update (again using the BS5 wheel and the "Settings" mode).

If you don't see this option, then it probably needs to see a repair shop...  or maybe others here know more than me.

I can select recovery mode and it asks me for my language and if I want to reformat the HDD. However, after I klicke on Yes the screen turns black and nothing seems to happen?

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
710 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Fri, Mar 30 2018 7:36 PM

Beosince98:
I can select recovery mode and it asks me for my language and if I want to reformat the HDD. However, after I klicke on Yes the screen turns black and nothing seems to happen?

My *guess* is that your HDD is not working correctly.  The fact that it gets far enough to ask to restore, to me, means the system board is OK.  However, the fact that after telling it to restore, it never comes back means it's having a problem with the HDD.

If you're familiar with computers and have the correct cables/drive bays, it's not hard to open the BM5, and remove the HDD and put it in another computer to verify if it works or not.  There are some threads in the Beosound 5 sub-forum on this site that get into some of the details of HDD replacement.

Beosince98
Top 500 Contributor
241 Posts
Silver Member

Stan:

Beosince98:

My *guess* is that your HDD is not working correctly.  The fact that it gets far enough to ask to restore, to me, means the system board is OK.  However, the fact that after telling it to restore, it never comes back means it's having a problem with the HDD.

If you're familiar with computers and have the correct cables/drive bays, it's not hard to open the BM5, and remove the HDD and put it in another computer to verify if it works or not.  There are some threads in the Beosound 5 sub-forum on this site that get into some of the details of HDD replacement.

I actually own another beosound 5, so I will just copy the HDD and try it out! Thank you very much for your help. I will keep you updated 

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
710 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Sat, Mar 31 2018 9:01 PM

Unfortunately, I don't think it is that easy. The HDD stores a serial number that must match the serial number of the main board. It might work for a short period with unmatched numbers, but not long term. You need the service tool to copy the serial number from the main board to the HDD.

Stan

Beosince98
Top 500 Contributor
241 Posts
Silver Member

Stan:

Unfortunately, I don't think it is that easy. The HDD stores a serial number that must match the serial number of the main board. It might work for a short period with unmatched numbers, but not long term. You need the service tool to copy the serial number from the main board to the HDD.

Stan

Is this only possible with the service tool? If so, where can I get said service tool?

thank you very much for your help!

ipaul
Top 200 Contributor
422 Posts
Founder
ipaul replied on Sun, Apr 1 2018 8:53 AM

Hi' as i understand, you bought it as broken so you want to give it a shot...:)

if you have another bm5, start with swapping the motherboard, which is easy and most likely the case.

i had exactly the same as you, and MB broken.

these can be exchanged, or you can try to fix it but that is a bit of a gamble :)

if you, or anyone else, ever exchange MB, pls don't discard the broken one, i am interested in having tose to try and fix them.

Beosince98
Top 500 Contributor
241 Posts
Silver Member

ipaul:

Hi' as i understand, you bought it as broken so you want to give it a shot...:)

if you have another bm5, start with swapping the motherboard, which is easy and most likely the case.

i had exactly the same as you, and MB broken.

these can be exchanged, or you can try to fix it but that is a bit of a gamble :)

if you, or anyone else, ever exchange MB, pls don't discard the broken one, i am interested in having tose to try and fix them.

I bought some speakers and he had the Beosound 5, which he said was broken and gave me for free, so I couldn’t turn it down really (bought some Beolab 8000 for under 500€)! So your motherboard was broken? Did your screen also turn on and you got to various stages with the booting process? It seems odd to me that the motherboard is broken seeing that it turns on and starts up (bios works perfectly well). Sometimes I get about 2-4 minutes of the working Recovery mode. I suspect it is a software bug/broken HDD, so I will clone the working Beomaster HDD and see if that does the trick. I have a very good connection with my technician, so if I can’t figure it out he will most definitely.

ipaul
Top 200 Contributor
422 Posts
Founder
ipaul replied on Sun, Apr 1 2018 4:03 PM

Oh, that is a great present (you may end up with free speakers and extra cash left..:) ).

yes: bios starts fine and from when windows has to do it's work, black screen.

obviously, you could also connect the working HD from your BM5 i suppose.

but my bet is the MB, with mine it were some caps bad, even visible.(probably processor power supply, may start up but cuts off because of degenerated caps)

not easy to replace (on a multilayer board) but with the correct tools it may well be a few euros job :).

Beosince98
Top 500 Contributor
241 Posts
Silver Member

I opened the Beomaster up and had a look at the capacitors. One closes to the CPU (at least to the heat shield) looked very bad. I think I am going to look for a Mainboards repair store and have them exchange some capacitors and give that a shot! Thank you for your help guys! I really appreciate it.

ipaul
Top 200 Contributor
422 Posts
Founder
ipaul replied on Mon, Apr 2 2018 10:57 AM

Ok, good luck and keep us posted pls :)

Beosince98
Top 500 Contributor
241 Posts
Silver Member

Short update: I visited my local electronics shop and he had a look at the caps and said that they were definitely broken. He will replace them by the end of the week!

ipaul
Top 200 Contributor
422 Posts
Founder
ipaul replied on Wed, Apr 25 2018 10:27 PM

And...what is the result ?

Beosince98
Top 500 Contributor
241 Posts
Silver Member

Sorry I forgot to update you guys! It took quite some time to order the Caps as they seem to be some special size, but they arrived and got replaced and it works just like a charm! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL