Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beolab 5 no sound - B&O tech next? Fuse or expensive?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 22 Replies | 4 Followers

Sl3ipner
Not Ranked
33 Posts
Silver Member
Sl3ipner posted on Sun, Feb 25 2018 2:22 PM

Greetings all. 

Ive had a pair of new Beolab 5 allmost a year now, happy man! That is untill around Christmas, were the sound failed on one of them. At the time I did not have the time or surpluss to have a closer look - admittingly paired with a strange urge to not tackle the problems.

But time has come to face the music.

•The failing unit shows green light when power on, no other light signals.

•Its totally silent, not even the distant hiss sound when turning volume up.

•Have changed/switched source and cables, problem persists.

•Have checked the sound balance to be ok on remote.

Anything I have left out here, any suggestions? I would think that a blown fuse also would keep the green light off - or..?

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Roger
Top 200 Contributor
Norway
416 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) Roger replied on Mon, Feb 26 2018 8:11 AM
Verified by Sl3ipner

Hi Sleipner,

This looks like a main chassis swap. I've done it a few times, and it can be a DIY job if you watch out for static electricity and pay attention to where the cables go: you will have to swap the complete unit (you can see it from the outside, as the part on the back of the speaker with the metal cooling ribs and connection panel).

B&O have a "swap system" for these, where the returned faulty unit is fixed by B&O and then used for the next swap. Most dealers will not let you do this on your own. Experienced a unit with the same behavior and we ordered the new engine, but a final check before installing it revealed that the customer had changed the IR mode of the speaker... there was nothing wrong with the speaker. So please have a check of the speaker mode by changing to e.g. Option 1 and then back to 0. A re-install of the SW could also be a solution, but you need access to a (dealer's) service tool do so.

Roger

All Replies

Pat
Top 500 Contributor
115 Posts
Bronze Member
Pat replied on Sun, Feb 25 2018 5:55 PM
Mod 999
Sl3ipner
Not Ranked
33 Posts
Silver Member

Sorry, didnt catch that one  :)

pauljrog
Top 500 Contributor
88 Posts
Bronze Member

Well if you have tried different cables connected to different sources and still no go then looks like the speaker has a fault.

I don't know if there is a easy fix or a way of resetting the speaker, hopefully someone will come with this type of info.

Only other option is to take it to a B&O dealer, but this is can be expensive.

Hope you get it fixed soon.

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
702 Posts
Silver Member

New...almost a year

This should be covered by the warranty, and thus be absolutely free?

Sl3ipner
Not Ranked
33 Posts
Silver Member

BEOVOX141:

New...almost a year

This should be covered by the warranty, and thus be absolutely free?

Yup, I would think so too. Only caveat is that I live in Norway, and bought them from an B&O dealer in Denmark. The warranty should be ok, but as I would need a technician from norwegean B&O, there might be some hassle in the horizont. One newer knows when things aint A4.

Sl3ipner
Not Ranked
33 Posts
Silver Member

Double post

Sl3ipner
Not Ranked
33 Posts
Silver Member

pauljrog:

Well if you have tried different cables connected to different sources and still no go then looks like the speaker has a fault.

I don't know if there is a easy fix or a way of resetting the speaker, hopefully someone will come with this type of info.

Only other option is to take it to a B&O dealer, but this is can be expensive.

Hope you get it fixed soon.

Yes I was looking for some resetting procedure, but havn found one. Also the fuse(ses) seems burried inside with no easy way to check.

Roger
Top 200 Contributor
Norway
416 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) Roger replied on Mon, Feb 26 2018 8:11 AM
Verified by Sl3ipner

Hi Sleipner,

This looks like a main chassis swap. I've done it a few times, and it can be a DIY job if you watch out for static electricity and pay attention to where the cables go: you will have to swap the complete unit (you can see it from the outside, as the part on the back of the speaker with the metal cooling ribs and connection panel).

B&O have a "swap system" for these, where the returned faulty unit is fixed by B&O and then used for the next swap. Most dealers will not let you do this on your own. Experienced a unit with the same behavior and we ordered the new engine, but a final check before installing it revealed that the customer had changed the IR mode of the speaker... there was nothing wrong with the speaker. So please have a check of the speaker mode by changing to e.g. Option 1 and then back to 0. A re-install of the SW could also be a solution, but you need access to a (dealer's) service tool do so.

Roger

Sl3ipner
Not Ranked
33 Posts
Silver Member

Thx, good info and sugestions Roger! 

I have the Option 1 activated, will go 0>1 again, fingers crossed. To be continued.

I can promise you I will not open anything on the Beolabs...

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
1,813 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Sl3ipner,

Are the speakers connected to a B&O system via Powerlink, or to a non-B&O source via Line or S/PDIF please?

PS. Your avatar looks familiar - is that an M96 Porsche 911 engine by any chance? Geeked

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Sl3ipner
Not Ranked
33 Posts
Silver Member

Sl3ipner:

Thx, good info and sugestions Roger! 

I have the Option 1 activated, will go 0>1 again, fingers crossed. To be continued.

I can promise you I will not open anything on the Beolabs...

Alas this didnt bring succes. 

It might be worth mentioning that the faulty BL5 unit answers the Option changing with lights accordingly, as do the non-faulty unit. So: still no sound what so ever.

Sl3ipner
Not Ranked
33 Posts
Silver Member

Steve at Sounds Heavenly:

Hi Sl3ipner,

Are the speakers connected to a B&O system via Powerlink, or to a non-B&O source via Line or S/PDIF please?

PS. Your avatar looks familiar - is that an M96 Porsche 911 engine by any chance? Geeked

Kind regards, Steve.

Hi Steve.

Speakers connected to a non-B&O source via Line (cables bought by you btw 👍

The avatar is indeed a M96/1 engine 😎 Bought the 1998 996er some 5 years ago. As you know they come dirt cheap, have nicasil upgraded the engine plus much (much!) more. End result is a wonderful “analog” small car that drives like a dream on twisty roads, no traction control and what not. 🤗

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
1,813 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Sl3ipner,

Thanks for your reply, just a quick thought before you go down the route of getting the speakers repaired.....

If you have the Sync cable between the two speakers then they should both "wake" from the remote, even if one speaker doesn't have line of sight from the remote.  However, if this cable isn't in place, it may be a simple issue caused by one speaker not seeing the remote control signals.

If you would like me to lend you a Sync cable to test, please drop me a line via my sponsor link below.  Another thing that is worth testing is whether the remote is putting out a good, strong signal - this guide explains how to check your Beo4 remote with a camera phone:-

http://www.soundsheavenly.com/faq/how-do-i-know-if-my-remote-control-is-working/

I think that 1998/9 were the last years of the true "analog" Porsches, before traction control, electronic throttle, stability control and the like became standard.  I love the sound of those engines, I have a Boxster with the smaller version of the same engine and it is great fun. Cool

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Sl3ipner
Not Ranked
33 Posts
Silver Member

So, after fiddeling a bit extra and taking my time, I have submittet the problem to B&O. I will keep you updated.

Steve: Thx for the kind offer, but problem hardly lies with the sync cable. Also the BL5s respond fine with the current Beo4 remote.

And yes, those older small Porsches are a blast. Makes you smile every time you start the engine  :)  For the worried: its my only car, I usually commute by bike, bus or train. So with a 20 year old car Id say my ecologic footprint is acceptable ;)

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL