rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 0 Followers

stampfki
Top 500 Contributor
83 Posts
Silver Member
stampfki posted on Tue, Feb 13 2018 5:08 PM

dear all,

after more than six years of enjoyment, it’s time to go 4K.

did a lot research and also visited stores, my conclusion is to go for a Loewe OLED Bild 7.65 instead of an Eclipse, which is simply too pricey for value (just my opinion).

since I run a Beolab 7.4 center, refurbished Beolabs 5000 (thanks to Andre) as fronts and Beolab 6000 as rears, I will use the Almando Multi Surround (#1003) as Switch. Radio and Music streaming is coming from an Essence MKII. BTW: a new Almando is being launched in the next days which will also provide WISA support.

After studying Geoff’s Tonmeister stuff, I’m concerned about the frequencies, meaning bass management. I have talked also to Almando. They have explained to me that they have used the same chipset as the Loewe Digital Audio Link D/A adapter to convert the audio signal. E.g. the frequency of the sub is fixed to 100 or 120 HZ. Perhaps in future they will allow their app to adjust also those frequencies individually. 

However, Geoff explained a lot about the bass management tables and algorithms in the current BV and Beosystem 4 equipment, which I will miss in my solution. Would I suffer in terms of sound quality?

All Replies

stampfki
Top 500 Contributor
83 Posts
Silver Member

No thoughts?

svinaik? :)

davidr
Top 500 Contributor
Montréal
147 Posts
Bronze Member
davidr replied on Thu, Feb 15 2018 7:02 PM

Well not much to add because I don't have direct experience with those speakers but do have an LG OLED. Yes the picture is very noticeable change over a older LCD or plasma display.

Also none of those speakers have sub capabilities, I'd probably not be too concerned about bass management unless you plan on adding an actual sub.

trackbeo
Top 500 Contributor
97 Posts
Bronze Member

In non-B&O setups, the bass frequencies would be "worked-around" by claiming the main speakers are full-range even if they are not, then attaching a sub with a high-pass filter inline and letting *its* crossover do the routing for you.  Extending that idea because the BeoLabs are self-amplified might be a little tricky, and you could end up with a separate (line level) filter/crossover, e.g. one of the MiniDSP units that has 4 outputs instead of just stereo.  (They have an application note for just that purpose (subwoofering) on their website.)  Did you know plenty of mid-price non-A/V audio gear with "separate" subwoofer output is still sending the full-range signal to the main speakers?  Therefore the question you'd like the answer to is, "What does my old BeoLab do when it receives a low frequency it cannot possibly play?  Does it bleat & puff or does it have its own internal filter built into the amp (or the physical design of woofers & box)?"  Easy enough to test with an organ record!  Sorry I can't opine on your specific Almando box and the fixed crossover frequency, but with the right external equipment you can get whatever crossover frequency you wish.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL