How hard can it be?

All Replies

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,478 Posts
Gold Member
Craig replied on Sun, Mar 18 2018 3:31 PM

Soren.....that's very good of you, please let me know how much you want for it and I will arrange for payment.

Regards Craig

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,290 Posts
Gold Member

Bad news, opened the BM 4400 yesterday evening, went straight to the switch to check it with my meter, but got funny readings, when switching on-off the ohm jumped while switching but in both positions showed mega ohms. I left it there until today and took out the switch

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,290 Posts
Gold Member

I cleaned the switch and worked it some 50 times but it still didnt work, cleaned again and worked it, and at last the switch blade came out

Here close up

Here where it came from

And here what it looked like when I finished. I dont recommend changing this switch if avoidable, its a big PIB to change it.

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
295 Posts
Bronze Member
Beo_Jean replied on Mon, Mar 19 2018 11:08 PM

Thanks a lot Soren for the pictures.

Confirms to me that the switch needs an spark killer capacitors and explains why this common failure.

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,478 Posts
Gold Member
Craig replied on Tue, Mar 20 2018 5:23 PM

Soren my friend.....that's a massive amount of work you undertook on my behalf, I don't know what to say.........I really appreciate you doing this. And I have to say looking at where you got to and what it took to get there I can only agree with your advice not to try and change this switch. Even changing the whole assembly would be an exercise in itself.... I will reconsider the position over a glass of wine, I suggest you join me after all you have done Beer

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,290 Posts
Gold Member

I done it before, back in 2012 i think,

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,478 Posts
Gold Member

Yes.....I remember reading your post detailing that total strip down, your a hero to take it on a second time Thumbs Up.

Ok fortified by the glass of wine that Soren should have drank I removed the back and had another look, note the missing solder tab bottom right that came apart when the wire was unsoldered.....I stupidly lost it, thinking the switch is totally wrecked anyway.

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,478 Posts
Gold Member

When testing for continuity across the two left hand side connectors I noticed I had good contact when the central slider was stopped from moving completely into the bottom position, the picture shows the switch in the OFF position, when in the ON position the slider is at the bottom of its slot.

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,478 Posts
Gold Member

Ever optimistic I have fashioned a new solder tab from an old relay base and have epoxy glued it into place.

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,478 Posts
Gold Member

I know it all looks a little "Heath Robinson" but when in Rome, and with wine 

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,478 Posts
Gold Member

And with a small wedge of plastic epoxy'd in place....

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,290 Posts
Gold Member

If it works, looks doesnt matter, only you and I will know Smile

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,478 Posts
Gold Member

Soren....I dont know what to say, tested the switch out with a multimeter and both poles are working fine.....I'm not confident such a repair will last the test of time but for now it looks good.

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,478 Posts
Gold Member

Power switch OFF

Craig
Top 75 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
1,478 Posts
Gold Member

Power switch ON.......I feel so guilty for putting Soren to so much trouble and then fixing the switch myself, however long it lasts I feel I should have tried harder before agreeing to let someone spend so much time....sorry Soren Embarrassed

Page 8 of 9 (125 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL