Connecting my Beolab 20 to my turntable with a built-in amp

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 2 Followers

DoctorBlack
Not Ranked
8 Posts
Bronze Member
DoctorBlack posted on Tue, Feb 13 2018 4:58 AM

I have a Shinola Runwell Turntable with a built-in amp.  I've connected it to my BeoPlay Essence, which is connected to my Beolab 20's.  

When playing the turntable, the max volume isn't nearly as loud or as powerful as when I'm streaming music through the Essence to my speakers from my phone.  Is that because the built-in amp in my turntable isn't strong enough? Is there anything I can do to increase the volume output to get more out of my speakers?  Will connecting the turntable directly to my speakers make a difference? 

Let me know if anyone can help.  Thank you!

All Replies

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
2,757 Posts
Bronze Member
Hi Doctor

I asked that exact same question on the YouTube Channel of B&O of Manchester

They mentioned that they purchased a pre amp (phono) for the turntable they used.

Have a look on YouTube under their channel, if you can’t find it let me know and I’ll see if i can link you

Michael.
Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 75 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
927 Posts
Gold Member

Hi DoctorBlack,

Your Runwell turntable has two pre-amp levels, depending on whether you have an MM (high output) or MC (low output) cartridge fitted.  Do you know which model of cartridge is fitted to your turntable please and whether the metal links are in place in the pre-amp?

The low output level may be due to a mis-match between the cartridge and the pre-amp link settings.  Once this is corrected, the output level should be suitable to use with the Essence, you don't need an external pre-amp.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor the BeoWorld forums!

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL