rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 1 Follower

CharlieGriff
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
CharlieGriff posted on Mon, Feb 12 2018 5:06 PM

Hi. Can you help please?

My parents bought a Bang & Olufsen system about 20 years ago which is now having problems in outputting audio. There may be a simple solution to this but being unfamiliar with the audio wiring, any advice would be most helpful.

The system they own is a Beogram 3000, a Beocentre 4000 and a speaker splitter which distributes the audio to speakers in different rooms. The Beogram and Beocentre both seem to be working properly, but the audio is not reaching the speakers. I have tested to see if the unit works by connecting my guitar amp through the headphone jack and sound comes out of this. 

Can anyone give me any suggestions on how to fix this? I've opened the unit up and have put a picture of this. (unable to upload at the moment but can upload at a later time I hope!)

Thanks very much!

All Replies

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
9,948 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, Feb 12 2018 9:08 PM

Is the problem in both channels (L/R)?
Is it from all sound sources (Tape/FM..)? 

Martin

CharlieGriff
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Martin,

Yes it's both L and R on both speakers 1 and 2 area.

Yes it's all sources. All sources work fine through the headphone jack but not through the speaker section.

Thanks,

Matthew

CharlieGriff
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Martin,

Yes it's both L and R on both speakers 1 and 2 area.

Yes it's all sources. All sources work fine through the headphone jack but not through the speaker section.

Thanks,

Matthew

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
9,948 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Feb 13 2018 6:29 AM

Can only be a problem with the speaker relays, then.
I seem to remember one pair of speaker being switched by a button on the lower front of the Beocenter
and the other pair with a simple delay circuit from power up.
Can you tell, if either or both relais click at power up?

- And you are aware, that one speaker set is muted when you insert headphones?

Martin

CharlieGriff
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks Martin.

What do the speaker relays look like? and would I be able to replace these?

I have tried toggling the button on the front of the Beocenter but no luck there. I haven't noticed any click at power up, but I shall try again to make sure.

I was not aware of that, but I took the headphones out once I knew the system was working :)

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
9,948 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Feb 14 2018 12:46 PM

If you cannot hear a relay click when you toggle the speaker switch on the front on/off, the problem is
that the relays never become activated.
SInce it seems to affect the relays for both channels, the problem is most likely not with the relay(s) but with
the voltage to the controlling circuit.

I have seen cases like this, where the glue used to stabilize larger and heavy components in the power supply areas eats
away at the component pins. It's called "gorilla snot" and is known to do exactly this. Luckily the glue also becomes brittle and
will usually flake off and clean away easily - but the affected component pins will of course need repairing or their components replaced.
Alternatively, a complete replacement module, but that may not be as simple as it sounds in that it often requires quite a bit of soldering work.

I guess, from you being unable to locate the relays, that you have no education with electronics?
In that case I suggest you let someone help you.

Martin 

CharlieGriff
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member

Ah ok, there's definitely a click there!

You are correct, The only experience I have in electronics is taking apart my phone and was hoping that by explaining it and uploading a picture (cannot upload for some reason) there would be a simple solution that I could be talked through but this doesn't seem to be the case. The problem I have is I was recommended to take it to someone 4 hours away in London to have a look at it which is not ideal!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL