Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

New Netlink Convertor for ML-network

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 71 Replies | 9 Followers

BeoHut
Top 200 Contributor
482 Posts
Bronze Member
BeoHut posted on Thu, Oct 11 2012 9:13 PM
Hi all,

On the B&O-website you can read that the new NL-converter is released. With this converter it is possible to let the new BV11 communicate in a existing ML-network for sounddistributing. Even the Beosound 5 is mentioned.

I'm wondering if it is possible to use this new NL-converter with a Beosound 5 Encore and other Beo Play products? I know that the before mentioned products are made as a stand-alone, but it would be nice to integrate these products in a ML-network.

Should this work? I think if so this could be very nice for us.

Any thoughts and possibilities about this?

Looking forward to the reactions.

Kind regards,

Beofan53

All Replies

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
3,623 Posts
Bronze Member

Funny to see you'd need a converter to connect to the Beosound 5, they could certainly develop a software update as the Beomaster 5 has a network connection as well.

This new NL system is bringing so many questions...

Beoworld app with direct photo upload and emoticons.

BeoHut
Top 200 Contributor
482 Posts
Bronze Member
BeoHut replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 9:49 PM
Most speakers are connected to the videomaster. Therefore with this new converter it would be possible to use an audiomaster without switching speakercables. And of course distributing sound through the (existing) ML- system.

Perhaps updates for using DLNA is a possibility. Let's wait and see.
claudiu
Top 500 Contributor
copenhagen
193 Posts
Bronze Member

http://issuu.com/bangolufsen/docs/bang___olufsen_network_link_infrastructure?mode=mobile

It is not so complicated,  you only need  many kat 7 cables. :)

I understand now why b & o recomnda atlona matrix, you don't need anything more than 2 kat  7 cables for each room and can use up to 32 rooms .

regards .

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
2,542 Posts
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 11:48 PM
By reading the B&O website I have understood that you will need the new converter to connect BV 11 to a masterlink system and the BV 11 can only be the videomaster.

But what means "Netlink"? I don't understand how I can use this WITHOUT masterlink! To wich products can I connect the new BV 11? Even BS 5 can only be connected to BV 11 with Masterlink and the new converter. Also on B&O website it is mentioned that it is NOT possible to connect BV 11 to another BV 11!?

I thought Netlink is the new system to connect B&O devices and it replaces the old masterlink. I hoped with Netlink it will be possible to distribute DIGITAL video and audio signals to linkrooms, because masterlink can only do this ANALOGUE.

Is anybody able to exlain the capabilities of Netlink??

Ragards

Räuber
Vienna
Top 100 Contributor
make an educated guess
1,090 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Not Verified) Vienna replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 12:09 AM
Suggested by Vienna

claudiu :

I understand now why b & o recomnda atlona matrix, you don't need anything more
than 2 kat  7 cables for each room

Older Atlona Switches needed 2 cables, recent ones using HDBaseT technology just need 1 cable per room.

Vienna
Top 100 Contributor
make an educated guess
1,090 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Not Verified) Vienna replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 12:55 AM
Suggested by Vienna

Raeuber:
But what means "Netlink"?

NetworkLink is DIGITAL TCP/IP and can be distributed via switch or router.

Between BV11 and the NL/ML Converter the audio signal is digital,
the NL/ML Converter has D/A as well as A/D converters to convert
digital NetworkLink into analogue MasterLink and vice versa. 

NetworkLink will replace MasterLink during the next years - as long as you are using 
ML components in an existing ML setup you'll need a converter to "translate" digital to
analogue (both directions).

Distribution of HQ Audio is simple task compared to true HQ Video coming from eg. a BluRay.

HD a la Apple TV is nice on a 32" maybe even on a 40" -  on a 46" or 55" you clearly see the
missing 80% of data lost/compressed by "APPLE HD 1080" if you compare it to real HD from
a BLU-RAY (or a mediaplayer, beeing able to play BD-ISO or BD-MV files).

Maybe (pure speculation) the quite new HDBaseT technology used  eg. by Atlona for HD Matrix
distribution will be implemented to NetworkLink in future - who knows.

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
2,542 Posts
Bronze Member
Ok, so we have to wait again until Netlink offers new features, although we are still waiting for many years for the "new masterlink". Take a look at the connection panel of BV 11, there are many sockets "for future use", probably for Netlink purposes.

But why it's so difficult to distribute video HD signals? Why offers the new BV 11 simply not a HDMI output socket to send digital video and audio signals to linkroom Tv's? Then you would only need a cable to control the sources of mainroom tv from the linkroom tv. Couldn't this be realized in that simple way??

/Räuber
PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
3,623 Posts
Bronze Member

Raeuber:
Ok, so we have to wait again until Netlink offers new features

One thing to note about Video distribution is that B&O is adding UPNP/DLNA in all its new TV sets. So you've already got a way to watch all your movies/photos, etc... stored in a centralised NAS in all the rooms. In addition you can access MP3s as well.

Distributing a centralised BluRay disc player, or video coming from a proprietary sat receiver can be acheived with an HDMI matrix. But it might be cheaper to have BluRay player or a sat receiver in each room.

It is however annoying for many of us with an existing ML setup. I am in the UK, only my main TV has a freeview tuner, the others are "old" MX TV, and I am relying on the main TV tuner all the time... I couldn't replace my main TV with a BV11, otherwise all my other TVs are useless!

Beoworld app with direct photo upload and emoticons.

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
2,542 Posts
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 10:13 AM

Actually I can watch on my BV 10 in linkroom via Masterlink blurays from the built-in bluray player and recordings from my Technisat receiver attached to my BV 7-40. Of course in SD, not in HD.

But with a BV 11 in linkroom I can't do this, neither in SD nor in HD. I thought this would be possible with the new Netlink!

/Räuber

ibg001
Not Ranked
80 Posts
Bronze Member
ibg001 replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 10:25 AM

Hi,

Has anymore seen more material from B&O describing Network Link and how it is intended to work?

And can 2 BV11 be connected and distributed sources digitally?

Regards

Ivan

ibg001
Not Ranked
80 Posts
Bronze Member
ibg001 replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 10:25 AM

Hi,

Has anymore seen more material from B&O describing Network Link and how it is intended to work?

Regards

Ivan

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
2,542 Posts
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 10:37 AM

ibg001:

Hi,

Regards

Ivan

No, see the FAQ on B&O website:

Can I set up my BeoVision 11 in a Master Link setup?

Yes, you can connect your music system to your BeoVision 11 using the BeoLink Converter NL/ML and get sound distributed to link rooms. However, your music system must be part of an established Master Link setup. You can only use one television in this setup. It is not possible to distribute to another BeoVision 11 or BeoPlay V1 in a second room of the house. This setup requires a wired Internet connection and that WAKE ON LAN is set to ON in the television NETWORK menu.

Vienna
Top 100 Contributor
make an educated guess
1,090 Posts
Bronze Member
Vienna replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 11:44 AM

Raeuber:

Actually I can watch on my BV 10 in linkroom via Masterlink blurays from the built-in bluray player and recordings from my Technisat receiver attached to my BV 7-40. Of course in SD, not in HD.

Smile actually you CONTROL your BD or TECHNISAT via MasterLink, and, if you press AV *** ,
you also send the sound in stereo via ML.

Picture comes via an antenna cable in SD.

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
2,542 Posts
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 12:09 PM

Vienna:

Raeuber:

Smile actually you CONTROL your BD or TECHNISAT via MasterLink, and, if you press AV *** ,
you also send the sound in stereo via ML.

Picture comes via an antenna cable in SD.

Quite right, Vienna!

Page 1 of 5 (72 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL