Essence won`t accept Spotify connect

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 35 Replies | 3 Followers

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
2,067 Posts
Bronze Member
leosgonewild posted on Sun, Feb 4 2018 1:59 PM

My Essence has stopped accepting Spotify connect. The Essence shows in the app, but when I press it, it will not change the output to the Essence. I did a reset on the Essence, no help.

Any ideas?

All Replies

mrCTE
Not Ranked
64 Posts
Bronze Member
mrCTE replied on Thu, Feb 22 2018 10:36 AM

Could this have something to do with the recent rumours that they are developing their own hardware, like the HomePod?

http://variety.com/2018/digital/news/spotify-hardware-1202704960/ 

So looks like Airplay and Chromecast will be the principal workarounds for Spotify + B&O 'integration' going forwards. 

Ulrike
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
142 Posts
Bronze Member
Ulrike replied on Thu, Feb 22 2018 11:21 AM

Maybe.

Another possible reason:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/1/14776780/spotify-hi-fi-preparing-launch-lossless-audio-tier

Since Chromecast implementation they already have, which allows lossless and even Hi Res streaming up to 96.0 kHz, this means less programming efforts and thus developing costs for streaming Spotify flawlessly on various devices.

But, just wondering about B&O information policy?

At least their dealers should know and keep customers informed. It was announced many months ago.

mrCTE
Not Ranked
64 Posts
Bronze Member
mrCTE replied on Thu, Feb 22 2018 5:28 PM

That's much more plausible @Ulrike, makes perfect sense really. 

Also good shout on information flow from B&O; it can't be impossible to push such notices into the B&O app, without using notifications. I am only an iOS user, so I don't know what the 'droid m.o. is for permitting alerts/notifications. On iOS you'd have to opt-in at app launch. 

And yes, you'd expect the information to be in the hands of dealers early on in the game, even if it's 'this is coming, we don't know what it means yet, stand by'.

Interesting news on Spotify Hi-Fi too! 

Mikael
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
157 Posts
Bronze Member
Mikael replied on Fri, Feb 23 2018 6:17 AM

Just checked my A9 mk1, and the Connect feauture is missing in mine too. 

This is quite the blow, as we use the Spotify Connect feature as the only way to connect to the speaker.

I hate Airplay. It never really became useful. Too many drop outs and too high battery consumption on the host device. 

Hopefully I’ll be able to fit a Chromecast Audio in the back of the A9 and use the RCA input. And not have any problems.

Im quite disappointed that I have to find out like this. The only referenced system in the Spotify press release was the Beosound5. 

B&O should as a minimum have this information corrected to reflect all products now missing Spotify Connect. 

Beoplay V1 with Beo4, Beolab 14.4 and ATV4/Chromecast.

Beoplay A2, A9mki (w/ Chromecast Audio), H2, H3, H8.

stampfki
Top 500 Contributor
123 Posts
Bronze Member

Is another device like the Chromecast really an option? I mean you'd attach to the super expensive A9 a cheap DAC, which harms sound quality.

Since Spotify Connect is gone, is Deezer a proper replacement? I understand that the client is running on the speaker itself (e.g. Essence MKII, A9, etc) independently, so no streaming from mobile device is required.

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
2,067 Posts
Bronze Member

Spotify Connect for Essence Mk1 and A9 mk1 is gone and it will not return.

I don't understand really how they can update the software on the Essence Mk2 to work with Spotify, but not with the mk1 and A9mk1.

Here is a copy of what Beocare wrote:

Hi Leo,

I have just received the following statement from our Product Management team:
We are sorry to inform you that the Spotify Connect feature has become unavailable to two of our older products, namely the BeoSound Essence (1st gen.) and the Beoplay A9 (1st gen.). This decision of Spotify to stop the support of older products is affecting not only our two products, but also products from other companies/brands.

Customers that use Apple devices (iPhone/iPad/Mac) can continue to enjoy their Spotify experience via the use of the AirPlay technology that is built-in those specific products.
For Android users we recommend connecting a Chromecast Audio dongle to the Line-input of their BeoSound Essence (1st gen.) or Beoplay A9 (1st gen.) to continue enjoying Spotify via their products.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience caused by this decision made by Spotify.

It appears that Spotify has removed their support, and we will not be able to change this with a software update, I'm afraid.

I am sorry for the bad news.

Kind regards,
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,424 Posts
Bronze Member

leogoeswild:

Spotify Connect for Essence Mk1 and A9 mk1 is gone and it will not return.

I don't understand really how they can update the software on the Essence Mk2 to work with Spotify, but not with the mk1 and A9mk1.

Different hardware used for these versions.

Maybe BeoCreate could offer a solution ;-)

Untill then I’d pop in a ChromeCast Audio dongle....and be happy.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

andy_js
Top 500 Contributor
The country formerly known as the United Kingdom
178 Posts
Gold Member
andy_js replied on Fri, Feb 23 2018 10:39 AM
What a load of BS. I’m glad I don’t use Spotify anymore.
leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
2,067 Posts
Bronze Member

Then you might swell skip the Essence. Adding a Chromecast gives you a VERY fancy volume control. 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,424 Posts
Bronze Member

You might - I would not....if I had an Essence first gen.

What does ‘fancy’ mean?

MM

Ulrike
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
142 Posts
Bronze Member
Ulrike replied on Fri, Feb 23 2018 2:10 PM

Hmmm,

not quite sure about fancy volume.

How fancy it is depends on the better or worse Chromecast implementation into an app's software, and it seems Spotify has to deal with various issues related to this:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/spotifyandroid/thread-id/74980/page/5

I am a Qobuz subscriber for years, using GCC Lossless and Hi Res Multiroom every day and it works perfectly now. But I remember those earlier days with Qobuz when it was a real pain! Always disconnecting => no volume control and no ability to change tracks, no way to stop the stream going on and on Super Angry so rebooting my phone, reconnecting GCC, playing for 10 minutes ... DISCONNECTING AGAIN! ... same procedure going on ..

No fun! Angry

So in case you're getting issues with Spotify or others like Tidal and Deezer this workaround may help:

In order to prevent disconnections you need to keep the CPU of your device running when the screen's turned off. If the device changes to "sleep mode" GCC  disconnects. This feature should be implemented into the software of your streaming client.

But if not done or not done correctly it can drive you crazy.

Some phone's OS or IOS settings give permission to that, no "sleep mode", keep "CPU running". If there is no way to enable this in the phone's settings you will have to use an additional application like Backlight Manager, Screen On or others. And hope for your streaming service getting able soon to fix it.

Good luck anyway!

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
687 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Fri, Feb 23 2018 3:50 PM

stampfki:
I mean you'd attach to the super expensive A9 a cheap DAC, which harms sound quality.

Ok, maybe I'm going deaf with age (mid-50s), but I have a chromecast connected to the AUX input of my BS9000 + BL1s + BL2, and I'm pretty happy with it.  I generally cannot hear the difference between the same song played via lossless on BS5 or CD for most music unless I really try.  For background music, I don't think there should be any problem.  For "critical listening", I guess it depends on how critical you are.  Then again, it definitely sounds better than silence Stick out tongue

Stan

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,424 Posts
Bronze Member

May this thing about the Chromecast dongle and a ‘cheap DAC, which harms sound quality’ is just a myth.

For some background on what the Chromecast in terms of sound quality offers, have a look here:

http://archimago.blogspot.com/search?q=Chromecast

MM

Ulrike
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
142 Posts
Bronze Member
Ulrike replied on Fri, Feb 23 2018 4:57 PM

stampfki:

Is another device like the Chromecast really an option? I mean you'd attach to the super expensive A9 a cheap DAC, which harms sound quality.

stampfki,

Chromecast Audio supports a feature "Full Dynamic Range" you can enable in the settings.

Thus Chromecast is working just as a streaming client, streaming audio files to another digital analogue converter, built in the device, in this case.

And indeed, there is a difference in sound quality.

I am using a Chromecast as a streamer, connected to an excellent Chord Electronics DAC, converting audio files, DAC connected to an amp.

Easy to hear the difference by enabling or disabling "Full Dynamic Range" in the settings.

It's a lot.

Regards,

Ulrike

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
702 Posts
Silver Member

At its price point the Chromecast Audio is  in a league of its own!

A well designed, capable piece of hardware, WIFI complete with diversity antennas, built in DAC, and even the option to add your personal flavor of religion : simply pick you own DAC  (properly at ten time the price of the CCA)

And why there is no driver available to add it to the mixer in windows is beyond me.

..well actually, not really. If its free,- you're the product Sad 

Page 2 of 3 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL