Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Click here to change your Beoworld Account Details

Do Beomaster 3500 and Beolab 3500 work together?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Thomas
Not Ranked
Cologne
9 Posts
Bronze Member
Thomas posted on Wed, Jan 31 2018 4:25 PM

Hi everyone,

I‘m new to this forum and got my first B&O system about a year ago. A Beomaster 3500 with Beogram CD 3500, however like probably most users today I mostly use a wireless adapter for more modern input devices.

Now my first question is very simple, to get the exact same music playing in another room as well I am considering the Beolab 3500. I got that the earlier model years of them are compatible to the Beolink system and according to my manual the Beomaster 3500 is also a Beolink compatible system. However there’s only a setup described in the manual where the „slave“ is a TV set.

So could I connect the two, use the Beomaster 3500 as the master system?

If yes, what kind of a cable would I need and where to plug it in on the Beomaster? AUX or one of the Powerlink speaker outputs?

Thomas

All Replies

Stoobietoo
Top 200 Contributor
Exeter, Devon, UK
307 Posts
Silver Member
Suggested by Stoobietoo

If I recall the Beomater has Master Control Link (MCL) capability. The older BeoLab 3500s are also MCL compatible. 

This link may help although it is for a Beomaster 6500

This link tells you more about the BeoLab 3500 and how to enable the MCL socket.

Stoobie

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
10,641 Posts
Bronze Member
Suggested by beojeff

If your BL3500 has MasterLink*, get a BeoLink Converter 1611 (ebay or so...)

The BL3500 probably already is in option 6, which is the default.

Put the BM3500 into option 1.

Disconnect all from power.

Connect the converter to the BM3500 with a din aux cable to the Aux/TV port (use the Aux port on the converter)

Connect the converter with a ML cable to the BL3500.

Power up the BL and the BM - and finally the converter.

Plug your ‘wireless adapter for more modern input devices’ in to the A.Tape port of the BM with a fitting cable.

After pushing A.Tape/A.Mem on the remote, you should be able to hear ‘the music’ from the BL3500.

(*If not, please state the type of the BL3500 or post a picture of the connections there)

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Thomas
Not Ranked
Cologne
9 Posts
Bronze Member
Thomas replied on Wed, Jan 31 2018 11:38 PM

Thanks for the answers!

The Beomaster 3500 has Master Control Link (MCL2).

All Beolab 3500 until serial # 19343452 also have Master Control Link (according to here).

So if I look for that older version of the Beolab 3500 / LCS9000, and follow Stoobies link with the service menu to enable MCL instead of ML, then do I still need that BeoLink 1611 converter? (I did not buy any BL3500 yet, so could look for the right serial # before purchase)

Thomas

Stoobietoo
Top 200 Contributor
Exeter, Devon, UK
307 Posts
Silver Member

Hi Millemissen, 

I think you are over complicating this. Thomas says his Beomaster is Beolink compatible (Master Control Link)  and so are the early Beolab 3500s.  In my links above it says Steve at Sounds Heavenly can make the cable to connect the two components using , 2x3pin MCL(Beomaster connecion) to 8 pin MCL (Beolab connection) . No extra converters required from what the post says.

Stoobie 

beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
1,208 Posts
Silver Member
beojeff replied on Wed, Jan 31 2018 11:45 PM

I agree with MM that converting from MCL to ML is the way to go. With ML you can more easily expand your new network to other rooms. For example, the BeoLab 2000 is a great speaker for a kitchen and is very inexpensive on the second-hand market. I often see them for under $200. A nice hub to have for your ML network is an ML Distributor Box. It has 6 plug and play sockets for ML cables. This way, you can just plug in more ML cables to connect new devices/speakers.

As you quickly fall in love with Bang & Olufsen, you can add even better speakers to link rooms with an Active box, to which you can connect any ML speakers such as the BeoLab 4000, BeoLab 6000, or BeoLab 8000 to your link network.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
10,641 Posts
Bronze Member

Stoobietoo:

Hi Millemissen, 

I think you are over complicating this. Thomas says his Beomaster is Beolink compatible (Master Control Link)  and so are the early Beolab 3500s.  In my links above it says Steve at Sounds Heavenly can make the cable to connect the two components using , 2x3pin MCL(Beomaster connecion) to 8 pin MCL (Beolab connection) . No extra converters required from what the post says.

Stoobie 

Beojeff has already expressed the reason s, why I suggested going for the ML ;-)

Since the op has not bought ‘his’ BL3500, he still would have this option.

Adding a small (and cheap) converter to the setup can imo not be considered as ‘over complicating this’....

....especially not, when you think of the benefits of ML vs MCL.

More stable at longer distances and open for adding newer component in the setup.

MM

Thomas
Not Ranked
Cologne
9 Posts
Bronze Member
Thomas replied on Thu, Feb 1 2018 12:23 PM

Thanks for all the infos!

I have to admit, I am a fan of more "vintage" B&O. Upgrading to more modern is in general not really needed. In fact I often browse ads for even more older stuff like Beosystem 1900's or what else ... but then luckily never buy it cause I just have no real use for it :)

I live in an apartment, altogether three rooms (including kitchen) have to be served sound-wise. So far I run two sets of speakers in two rooms, due to them being next to each other I was able to neatly run speaker wires for a set of (currently vintage 70s B&O) passive speakers in the second room.

Main room has the BM3500 with CX100 and Beovox Cona.

Leaves just one room where sound is missing, where I am now thinking of the BL3500.

In fact I also am thinking to get a Beosound Century cause I like the looks and maybe also would get the same sound quality of BL3500. Does not make sense from a home integration point of view, but would certainly please my collector soul.

I think if I understood you all right, the BM3500's standard Master Control Link output is via the speaker 2 cables?

But if I go via the 1611 converter, then I would be using the AUX output of the BM3500 instead?

Thomas

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
10,641 Posts
Bronze Member

In fact you can go parallel - use the SpeakersLink for the MCL path and the Aux for the ML path.

I’ve been doing that for decades!

My BM4500 (with connected sources) feeds - and has been doing for 20+ years now - a set of CX100 on a MCL 2A relay box

AND

My Active Link/BL4000 in the dining room (I had several more ML-based rooms earlier).

Honestly, in your case you can’t ‘do anything wrong’!

If you get a BL3500 with both options, you may run MCL now......and still have the option for future changes ;-)

See the MCL Handbook for howto:

http://www.iconic-av.co.uk/manuals/master_control_link-handbook.pdf

MM

beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
1,208 Posts
Silver Member

I agree that the Century is a beautiful iconic design. I have one that I no longer use, but I just can't bring myself to part with it. I was very pleasantly surprised by the sound quality. It has an aux input that you can use with the appropriate cable to connect something wireless, such as an Airport Express or Google Chromecast dongle.

Thomas
Not Ranked
Cologne
9 Posts
Bronze Member

Pity that the Century can't be included in any MCL or ML setup, otherwise it really would be a no brainer for my needs.

But you are right, I could just feed it via the AUX input, besides that I also still enjoy listening to my CDs.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I think I now know what I needed to know and will then see what comes my way. :)

Thomas

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 75 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
1,023 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Thomas,

Stoobie and MM are both correct, as you have two options:-

1) Link a mk.1 (up to serial no. 1934xxxx) Beolab 3500 to the Speaker 2 (MCL) sockets of the Beomaster 3500 directly via a specially wired MCL cable that I can build for you, or

2) Add a Beolink Converter (full type no. 1161166 that can act as an ML driver) to control any version of Beolab 3500 speaker via the Aux socket of the Beomaster.  This way you would use a Masterlink cable between the Converter and the speaker, plus a Datalink cable between the Converter and the Beomaster.

I can help with the cables for either option, please click on my sponsor link below if you need any assistance.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL