Amazon Alexa and the question: How you listen to music today

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 32 Replies | 1 Follower

AdiS
Top 500 Contributor
159 Posts
Bronze Member
AdiS posted on Mon, Jan 29 2018 11:11 AM

A few days ago our new family member - amazons´ "alexa" arrived. Two echo dots and two more echos. For living room, bathroom, kitchen and sleeping room. The idea behind is very nice - control via voice and listen to different sources in different rooms. One of the echo dots will power up some beolab (maybe 4000 or 8000) in future. For today the echo brings music into the living room. After listening to it for the whole evening  tried to find an answer about how we listen to music today and what quality of that music we expect.

The idea of echo (and all other) is brilliant but sound quality is poor and boring. A speaker not bigger than a water bottle has to give same a power as a Beolab 8000 15 years ago. What happend to us? To those times, we tried to get best stereo sound? Are we more indifferent?

thoughtfoul regards,

Adrian

All Replies

chucky
Not Ranked
46 Posts
Gold Member
chucky replied on Wed, Jan 31 2018 8:33 PM
Got it working however not really easy. Got some info from the old beoforum from aussie. He says to use a cable 0898126. It is probably one from beolink to minijack. I have a few beolink active kits and the last one I purchased needed to be with sw 1.6 in order to work with my to be soon comming gateway. The one in the kitchen does not react to the pc command and it jitters. (You connect it to the PC port of you active kit) it is probably an old one. It sometimes poefs as well.

This cable is not perfect but it works I will get a good one. Soundwise maybe better than apple tv or apple airport express, I have one connected to bv7 and one to a BS 3000. Sounds ok but a cd is a mile difference.

Wil a playmaker improve the sound?

Tx!

From Beovision to doorbel...all B&O what rings.

chucky
Not Ranked
46 Posts
Gold Member
Who can help me out?

I have beolabs 4000 in the kitchen and I want alexa to play spotify on the radio. The active kit is to old and I am having trouble getting a new one with 1.6 sw. I still have a NL ML Converter lying around so I want to hook it up. MM says that a playmaker improves sound however how do I hook it up on the NL/ML converter?

From line in NL ML CONVERTER to line in Playmaker? In need the speakers also in my normal ML Setup to play the BS 3000 so they need to be connected to the NL ML Converter as this is in my masterlink setup. How do I connect the alexa dot, I have only 1 line in...

Tx!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
10,124 Posts
Bronze Member

The NL/ML Converter has a line-in connection (this means that you can hear, what is connected there, through the connected BL’s).

Connecting an Echo Dot there is a standart procedure - as described here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202011840

If you want the Playmaker in that chain, first connect the Playmaker to the converter (you will need a RJ45/PL to R/L-cinch cable for that - and you will have to set the output of the PM to ‘fixed’).

Then connect the Dot as described above (in the link).

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
10,124 Posts
Bronze Member

N.B. ‘then connect the Dot to the Playmaker as described....

MM

chucky
Not Ranked
46 Posts
Gold Member
chucky replied on Sat, Feb 3 2018 10:27 PM
Tx MM

Ordered cables and bidding on a playmaker from Marktplaats.

Let’s see if a playmaker makes a difference to an airport express!

chucky
Not Ranked
46 Posts
Gold Member
chucky replied on Thu, Feb 8 2018 10:12 PM
Dag MM,

Got all the hardware, a milion cables, ordered only 1 wrongBig Smile

I have patched Alexa to the playmaker using minijack to double cinch and the powerlink of the playmaker connected to the aux in (RJ45 to double cinch) into the NL ML converter. Is this OK?

Thanks MM , my own litlle project since a long time!

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
7,574 Posts
Founder
OMG 😮

All those cables, and one was wrong !

BeoNut since '75

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
10,124 Posts
Bronze Member

chucky:

I have patched Alexa to the playmaker using minijack to double cinch and the powerlink of the playmaker connected to the aux in (RJ45 to double cinch) into the NL ML converter. Is this OK?

Seems ok to me!

I’d set the PL of the Playmaker to ‘fixed line-out’ and set it to option 0 —-- using the app.

I suppose that you will have an ir-eye connected to the NL/ML Converter - otherweise it will be hard to control it as ‘an active link’.

Or did you attend to control the volume via the connected devices (Alexa/Playmaker)?

There might be some settings in the converter for the line-in sense there - which I don’t remember right now.

Please note!

In my post above (or below...if you use the Beoworld-app) I mentioned ‘if you want the Playmaker in the chain’.

DO you need it? Otherweise there is no real use for it!

You gain DLNA and AirPlay streaming with it, and maybe you also want that in that room.

If you are content with what the Alexa offers, you might as well leave it out....and use less cables ;-))))

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
10,124 Posts
Bronze Member

@chucky

P.S. Your Converter will be hardwired to the network.

In case you have the Playmaker there as well, you are adviced to hardwire that too!

MM

chucky
Not Ranked
46 Posts
Gold Member

I don’t do wifi, it sxxxcks. Everything is wired. I just put in a pipe for Alexa, no bluetooth.

My NL/ML converter is updating but it is not the easiest thing to set up. I have a scheme for an old linkeye as I am

Replacing my passive 1615 sw 1.1 for the NL ML converter. It looks like this

chucky
Not Ranked
46 Posts
Gold Member
Yes MM I can always use only the line in on the converter for Alexa but In the morning I listen to the radio and I want to say to Alexa, play spotify, or last radiostation. I listen the most in the kitchen actually so I want a decent sound. If it is a big difference I will install them in some linkrooms and hang them on my bs 3000 instead of the airplay. They are pretty easy and cheap to come by

I use apple tv for my bv7-40, it has is own decoder right so no difference in sound?

I am the guy who wants good sound but I hate pressing 10 commands like link av bla bla. I just cant remember. Probably one of the only people still in love with a beo 6. I hate the new remote. Try to set it up but after 10 minutes gave up, it is still in its box. Now 2 years[:\'(]

chucky
Not Ranked
46 Posts
Gold Member
chucky replied on Sat, Feb 10 2018 10:18 PM
Got it working. Got the Playmaker working on the BL 4000. Will be posting shortly pictures.

Alexa triggers playmaker and triggers the line-in on the NL ML coverter and starts playong commands like spotify, radio, last briefing etc. After 15 minutes the lab 4000 turn off which is normal. I had to set the converter to 90 in sound is (EDIT so much better than airplay) Alexa at volume 4 at a normal level. Had to figure it out, I had no sound, was just parameter on the line in. MM I set the level fixed.

Next is getting it to work with my Beosound 3000 and BV 7-40. I have start reading the manuals 70 freaking pages, but I am to dumb, can’t get it to work. In the remote app it only shows the line in so setup is not ok.

I have configured the converter as a A slave, option 4 linkroom, “Beolink Converter NL/ML with speakers”. I do not even have any NL products. I know I should search the forum some things are obvious but it is to complicated. Otherwise I wait 3 weeks for the setup guy, which is actually one of the best Big Smile, but there was no time yesterday. After 2 days I will try anything

Thanks Chucky.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
7,574 Posts
Founder
I don’t have Alexa but I do have Google Home Mini, ChromeCast, and now Apple’s HomePad ... my plan for today / next week is to add the HomePod to a google speaker group along side the Essence and the Core.

I do prefer Siri’s knowledge if my tastes (via my iTunes history of 10+ years) to the Google Assistant’s ignorance: however I do like technical challenges Big Smile

Thank you Chucky because your research on the BLC NL/ML line-in has got me thinking ! Even more technical challenges Laughing

BeoNut since '75

chucky
Not Ranked
46 Posts
Gold Member
chucky replied on Sun, Feb 11 2018 9:10 AM
Hi Elephant, Siri, Google and Alexa all have there expertise. Alexa does a better job in homeautomation but she is absolute not the best in searching. She works also with Fireboard a bbq thermometer As I love my Eggs. I can just ask What the temperature of the meat is, and I use fans to drive the temperature,so no no more burned or undercooked food. Anyone who likes to bbq should check it out.

I do have to say that the playmaker or ML/NL Converter improves sound so dramaticly I will have to get anothor one for in the living. I presume I can hook it up on the BV 7 to use it in a ML Setup through the house.

How do you use your smart speakers Elephant, as singe systems?

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
7,574 Posts
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Feb 11 2018 11:39 AM
chucky:

How do you use your smart speakers Elephant, as singe systems?

I am hoping to integrate them, but compared to you Obi Wan, I am only a grasshopper !

Thanks for the inspiration !

PS the local B&O store has hidden a google home mini inside the stores Shape ... so you can talk to it ... see it’s dots glow ... hear the response ... and then the music flows (line-in of course) ... now that is COOL !!!

BeoNut since '75

Page 2 of 3 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL