rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Kromer
Top 500 Contributor
Randers, Denmark
Posts 129
Bronze Member
Kromer Posted: Sat, Jan 27 2018 8:48 PM
I admit it, I have a softspot for the 60’s rgs. One of these came up for sale recently and though the asking price of 400 £ was a bit steep I decided to go and have a look at it. The condition of it was okay. One owner from new. The tv didn’t work, which doesn’t really matter, and it can be made to look very good. He was eager to get rid of it so He accepted the much lower offer I made him and I took the 75 kg rg home with me.

I have an idea about using just as cabinet. Leaving the radio and Beogram in place but removing the tv to give storage room for records or CD’s or similar. However, the tv section isn’t veneered on the inside so I’m not sure. I’ll have a bm4400 and bg4000 on top. Suggestions are welcome.

Some pictures from when I got it home.

And inside was the original manual, some 60’s brochures and pricelists, and a stereo test ep, which was a pleasant surprise.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,044
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Jan 28 2018 11:30 AM

Nice find!
Why not make it work? 

Martin

Kromer
Top 500 Contributor
Randers, Denmark
Posts 129
Bronze Member
Kromer replied on Sun, Jan 28 2018 12:09 PM
Thanks. Yes, that the dilemma isn’t it? Keep it orignal or make it into something more usefull.

I Lean towards gently taking the tv out and store it, and making a veenered insert that can be tanken out again. Though I like originality I sometimes have to remind myself not to turn my home into a museum Big Smile
Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 631
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Tue, Jan 30 2018 1:32 PM

Lovely vintage find. 

I would keep it original, these are becoming harder and harder to find!

Ben

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,044
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Jan 30 2018 1:58 PM

The included docs makes it even more worth keeping.
I always wondered why the user manuals are so far between when servicemanuals are so common.
I mean - servicemanuals were one per repairshop - at most - where the user manuals would've been one per production individual - as a minimum.

The Beolab 5000 brochure is obviously misplaced, but a nice piece nonetheless.

Martin

Kromer
Top 500 Contributor
Randers, Denmark
Posts 129
Bronze Member
Kromer replied on Tue, Jan 30 2018 4:52 PM

Thanks for your input ben and Martin. I'm very open for bringing it back to working condition. But I imagine it will take some time and i will need some serious help or somebody to do it for me. 

Status is that I have restored the veneer and repaired a couple of chips so it looks great. 2 of three handles are broken. Were those horrible plastic ones the only option?

I have taken the tv out, it would have to for repair Anyway. I won't have something that doesn't work. I will definately restore radio and speakers.

the_o_master
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 856
Bronze Member

Kromer:

I have an idea about using just as cabinet. Leaving the radio and Beogram in place but removing the tv to give storage room for records or CD’s or similar. However, the tv section isn’t veneered on the inside so I’m not sure. I’ll have a bm4400 and bg4000 on top. Suggestions are welcome.

It is really nice find. Congratulations!

And the manuals are the Bingo! I envy you really for this test EP! I got the test song few years ago as MP3 from the beoworld member. Nice little earworm-song Smile

Regarding your plans to restore it originally (with TV set being repaired) or rebuild it with space for CDs or LP'S:

I know this decision is not easy. Opposite to other Beoworlders who all recommended restoring, I could understand you if you do the other way. I would simply try and look how complicated restoring would be.  If the effort to find somebody who can repair the TV or even finding a spare TV for the RG is to big or impossible, than I would rebuild it as you mentioned.

I have had a similar decision with my Beoviosn 2000 RG. As I got it, the TV set was already swapped. The previous owner took out the original black/white Beovision 2000 and he built the color BV5502 in (which was btw also defective). For me it was impossible to find original BV2000 and even if I could find it, the space in the RG was already "adapted" to BV5502.

So I decided to re-clothe the space the TV once was in, and i am happy about this decision. Though my project is still not finished (Beomaster still on the Workbench) I hope in few weeks the RG will sit in our living room and my combo BL/BM5000 will take place in the new arranged left side of the RG. Here you can see few pictures of the current status of my rebuilt 2000RG.

Therefore it is only your decision, make it as you want.

I wish you lot of fun restoring this beautiful item!

Vintage Bang & Olufsen

Kromer
Top 500 Contributor
Randers, Denmark
Posts 129
Bronze Member
Kromer replied on Wed, Jan 31 2018 9:58 PM
the_o_master:

It is really nice find. Congratulations!

I envy you really for this test EP! I got the test song few years ago as MP3 from the beoworld member. Nice little earworm-song

Yes, I agree a Nice little bit of history, however, easy come easy go. I know Frede has been putting together a set of the very first B&o stereo and as he didn’t have this ep I have offered it to him.
Kromer
Top 500 Contributor
Randers, Denmark
Posts 129
Bronze Member
Kromer replied on Wed, Jan 31 2018 10:04 PM
Today I thought I would have a go at making a new handle to replace one the broken ones. I’m not a fan of the plastic so I chose some Indian rosewood, not brazilian as the cabinet, but for a handle it’ll do. Not particularly difficult but you have to be gentle as it’s very thin.

Aften some Oil and wax I installed it. Looks allright and I much prefer the feel of the Wood Yes - thumbs up here next to the remaining intact original one.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL