Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

relocate my B&O collection... or sell it..?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Beothomas
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
Beothomas posted on Thu, Jan 25 2018 9:03 PM

Hi there

I bought in 2011 a Beovision !0-40, Beloab 3s and Beloab 2 (all in white) while I lived in the UK.

In 2015 moved to Sweden - and now I'm moving to the USA.

I've read here on the forums that in theory, everything should work with step down transformers etc.

Does using these transformers affect/spoil the user experience in any way - and does using them risk damaging the equipment?

If so, I may as well just sell the equipment in Sweden.

Just trying to work it all out, so would be extremely grateful for any advice.

Many thanks :)

All Replies

Tucker
Top 200 Contributor
Atlanta USA
418 Posts
Gold Member
Tucker replied on Thu, Jan 25 2018 9:21 PM

If you have the means to bring it with you, I would.  B&O seems to be way more scarce here in the USA.

Beosound 9000 MK III, Beosound 2300, Beosound Century, Beogram 5005, Beogram 1800,  Beolab 8000, Beolab 5000,  Beolab 4000, Beovision 8-32, Beovision 4-65, Beovision 10-32, Beoplay S3, Beoplay A2, Beoplay E8.

Mikipidia
Top 100 Contributor
887 Posts
Gold Member
Last time i asked my dealer told me that that was fine if you get propper ones. Or he could supply new internal power supply units and convert them to US spec. If you’re going to stay longer i would consider doing the latter.

But it all depends on how much you love your beo equipment obviously Stick out tongue

New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beovision eclipse, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound 1 Bronze edition, Beoplay M3.

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/c/mikipedi4

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,342 Posts
Bronze Member
How long are you gonna spend in the States? That should be your answer.

If i were you I’d sell it, keep the 3s and buy something new when there.

I suspect there is a stronger second hand market in Sweden for B&O.
Beothomas
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks Tucker- yep I probably should take it with me. It all looks as good as new, and would be difficult to replace.

Beothomas
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member

That's good to know. the nearerst dealer to me now (in Stockholm) is seriously unhelpful. I didn't know that fitting new internal power supplies was even an option. I shall look into that now. Thanks for the info!

Beothomas
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member

I'll be in the States for many many years - so this would be a longterm thing for sure. I shall look into Mikipedia's suggestion of getting new internal power supplies. 

SHEFFIELD
Top 500 Contributor
260 Posts
Bronze Member

The TV won't work in the USA.

svinaik
Top 500 Contributor
202 Posts
Bronze Member
svinaik replied on Fri, Jan 26 2018 12:19 PM

Step down transformer work flawlessly. I recently imported Loewe TV to USA and have been using it for the past 3 months. No issues at all.

svinaik
Top 500 Contributor
202 Posts
Bronze Member
svinaik replied on Fri, Jan 26 2018 12:22 PM

Beothomas:

I'll be in the States for many many years - so this would be a longterm thing for sure. I shall look into Mikipedia's suggestion of getting new internal power supplies. 

I would not suggest getting internal power supplies altered. Just use an external step down transformer. If you need a recommendation, please see the link below

http://www.toddsystems.com/newindex.html

Just make sure that you order high enough wattage. I am using 1000 VA to ensure that peak power requirements of the TV are fully covered by the rating of the step down transformer.

svinaik
Top 500 Contributor
202 Posts
Bronze Member
svinaik replied on Fri, Jan 26 2018 12:27 PM

Just remembered that you will need a Step Up transformer , not step down as you will be converting 110V to 220-240V :)

Mikipidia
Top 100 Contributor
887 Posts
Gold Member
But he’a going from europe to the usa Stick out tongue

New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beovision eclipse, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound 1 Bronze edition, Beoplay M3.

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Mikipidia
Top 100 Contributor
887 Posts
Gold Member
Oops sorry, read it wrong, my badBig Smile

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
1,468 Posts
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Fri, Jan 26 2018 12:56 PM

Probably a good place to start would be to price getting the job done in Sweden. If its crazy money to convert it all just sell it and buy in US. Factor in transport costs. 

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,490 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Jan 26 2018 3:17 PM

Just get the appropriate converters. You've got classic B&O gear, and in my opinion not much of what's currently available from them is worth the price. Even if you're here years the power converters would be fine, save your money by not changing internal power supplies and just put any savings towards replacement when the time finally comes. Buy an Apple TV and stream video. Cable TV over here is overpriced and underquality, more and more people are abandoning it and streaming things.

What part of the US are you going to?

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL